What's your latest drum purchase?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
New heads! I went with a hybrid setup(mostly because I will almost never play out with four toms) of Aquarian.

Modern Vintage Medium 1 ply on the 12 and 15

Deep Vintage 2 ply on the 13 and 16
The thicker heads every other drum make for some interesting intervals

Classic Clear on the bottom of all toms

Force 1 bass drum batter. This was the biggest surprise, it feels and sounds way better than any other Powerstroke type head.

FD8B0D38-09D9-4D4A-9BA3-A7DB403C9F40.jpeg

makinao

Reaction score
Turkish Classic thin crash 16". US$70. 921 grams. Has a funky complex wash, and a nice smooth sustain. Not particularly "dark" sounding, but is distinct enough from my A Zildjian 18" thin crash which it will usually partner. The seller bought this from a store next to the factory. This is my first Turkish-style cymbal actually made there.

IMG_3362.jpeg

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Bit the bullet and picked up an LM402 today. Of course JB used one, but after hearing the very different sounds James Gadson pulls out of the same drum on Ain't No Sunshine (see live version on YouTube) and then reading (here!) that Stan Lynch used one as well on some of my favorite drum songs ever IMO this model could be the most universal (and best sounding) drum in history. I feel really good about this purchase.

I wanted the option of muffling it down internally (like I believe James does in the recording) so added this muffler

Just a couple of carefully placed holes and its good to go. Without tension the pad is ~3/8" under the plane of where the head lays; just enough to have no effect and then its a couple of turns to full muffling.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice drum, Tdipaul. I like the muffler addition.

I did not know Gadson used a 402.

That’s actually more of a draw for me than Bonham.