What's your latest drum purchase?

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fell into a great deal on this Gretsch USA Custom bop kit in silver glass glitter wrap . Sizes are 18 x 14; 12 x 8 and 14 x 14 . It is like going home for me as my first Pro level kit I owned was an 18/12/14 Gretsch kit . I have gone over this kit and it is absolutely perfect no issues whatsoever and it sounds great . I ordered a Gibraltar lifter for the 18” bass drum . My Big Band is starting in person rehearsals again starting Monday so I will bring this kit out for that .
E907D9A0-DBC0-4473-BD67-A95ACAFBEAC8.jpeg
63629108-FD06-49B7-82C2-49D08E118068.jpeg
072FC861-54AC-4BFA-B0DB-C6A8D6D1DDDE.jpeg
099BC9EB-CC12-4BB5-891D-2834152CAB08.jpeg
E1857AF9-BD24-407F-BFF3-643A3D9CD062.jpeg
506FCF7B-0D17-48E5-A879-364E551D02BE.jpeg
A7ECF454-E56D-4D7A-8204-D61C7FC83732.jpeg

owr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A little tease of my latest purchase, this has been a long time coming. I own a lot of nice drums but in my 20+ years of playing this is the first time I actually got something built custom just for me. It feels good. Special thanks to @Paradiddle for a pm pep talk some time back that led to this.

IMG_5819.jpg

Quai34

Reaction score
Just arrived today:
The Hammered Supra 5x14! It sounds fantastic. All I can say is that this drum is LOUD!!
The hammering controls the overtones a bit over the standard Supra. I definitely like the classic sound it has for a 5x14!
First thing I did was slap on a Weathermaster batter. I don't understand why Ludwig puts a Weathermaster reso and a Ludwig USA Remo head (Horrible head!). There is no way that these Ludwig Remo's are standard Remo heads. Doesn't make sense!
Incredibly I ordered it from a Drumshop in Quebec 2 days ago and it arrived here in Florida this morning!

View attachment 514794
I bought from Gagné musique my 2 last snare, Tama Star reserve Sendan at 1200 taxes included and free shipping, yes next day for me from When to Winnipeg, so, around 950 US$ equivalent? The first Tama Maple Star Reserve was from Sweetwater but it cost me almost 1700 can$ with taxes and shipping and customs etc...so, now, high end snares, Gagné musique.

Quai34

Reaction score
Proline Snare Utility Rack!
Just assembled it and put some snares on it for the picture!

Quick review:
I got it on sale for $79 (plus I had like $20 in rewards) at Musician's Friend. It's great for that price and does the job, but I would never buy it at the normal $110 price. It doesn't have $110 worth of quality! At $110, it's a rip off!
I believe they price it at $110 because it's the only ready made option that I've seen. Maybe something else exists but I haven't seen it. One of the legs came loose right out of the box from the attachment point and I had to fix that. Also, one of the screw holes on one of the tubes was drilled at an angle. I also had to fix that by re-drilling the hole and sanding it with my Dremel. Another issue was that a couple of the tubes came with some scratches. I fixed that by assembling those to face the rear of the unit, LOL!! Assembly was easy and quick after I fixed the two issues. After tightening it all down, it's pretty solid! For the $59 final price that I paid, It's good!

View attachment 516129
I've been made aware of it several times and might consider it but with h 4 snares only, one in a bag always because it's an chrome over steel I'm not on big fan of, I'm not sure I would need it...and I have no more room in the practice room so?? But if my plan goes well, I will add a star Copper hammered and an aluminium starphonic so, that could it. Thanks for the review

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought from Gagné musique my 2 last snare, Tama Star reserve Sendan at 1200 taxes included and free shipping, yes next day for me from When to Winnipeg, so, around 950 US$ equivalent? The first Tama Maple Star Reserve was from Sweetwater but it cost me almost 1700 can$ with taxes and shipping and customs etc...so, now, high end snares, Gagné musique.
Why not purchase from a Canadian Dealer ? Forum Member Murat owns Drummer’s Hangout and is a big Tama dealer . I am sure he can save you dough from purchasing from Sweetwater .

Quai34

Reaction score
Why not purchase from a Canadian Dealer ? Forum Member Murat owns Drummer’s Hangout and is a big Tama dealer . I am sure he can save you dough from purchasing from Sweetwater .
I know, I discover him in a thread here but before, I was going to long and Mac Quade and they didn't have the snare, it was super long to order it and Sweetwater had it, so, I tried... But the two next purchase were from a Canadian dealer.... I was "new" in drums and the didn't have a lot of knowledge about the drums shop in Canada...And the service for Sweetwater was great so, I had asked them several stuff and then had always replied to me nicely, so, why not. But I understood, when I realized that I paid more than if I had bought it in Canada.

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Red Mist Copper Sparkle Ayotte kit from forum member Spaeth. It truly is the “Great white whale” kit for me! Totally stoked to now have it under my roof!

Cloggie

Reaction score
An extra bass drum (18x22 in Black Galaxy) for my Ludwig Classic Maple 4-tom set, a Tama Speed Cobra 910 double pedal, an extra part for my large Tama drum rack and a Ludwig Slotted Coliseum 8x14 snare. Yes, that cost me dearly :)

I also traded my Zildjian K Ride for a Paiste 2002 Ride.

Attachments

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom order finally came in today lol. DW Collector’s 6”x14” Pure Maple X-Shell Snare with Mapa Burl Re-Rings. Natural to Rich Red Fade Lacquer over Exotic Mapa Burl. Nickel plated hardware with 5-way adjustable butt plate.

This is my first drum with nickel plated hardware and my first thicker snare drum with re-rings. I love everything about it and am going to order another snare with re-rings sometime. I love the 6” depth too!

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@sixplymaple Love the new snare! I was considering nickel hardware too but questioned it's durability.

As for myself I traded in my old DW and ordered a new DW in new sizes for me. I'll add pictures once its in, but for now here's the details.

Copper Glitz Lacquer Specialty
Chrome hardware
Maple shells with Curly Maple re-rings

13x9 vlt
16x14 x
18x16 vlx
22x16 vlx+

Heres some examples of the new finish. Can't wait to see it in person, it's a big change from my old red kit.

View attachment 518939

View attachment 518940
That thing is going to sound ballsy! I need to order a full DW SSC kit soon too. Those VLX+ bass drums sound unreal! I’m still rocking all VLT shells from 2006.