What's your latest drum purchase?

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Picked this up this week and will need a bit of renovating. It’s almost a perfect match (yellowed Silver Sparkle) to my 20” and 12” 67 Ludwigs.
NICE: Your going to love it. That thing will boom. Put some Pearl Feet on the legs or even buy a set of RIMS spring feet. You'll be glad you did.

sherm

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a protection racket backpack snare bag/pedal bag combo. It's pretty neat. Holds a 5.5 snare drum in the top portion and a bottom zipper section for a single bass drum pedal. They make one that holds a 6.5 snare and a double pedal as well. I had thought about it just for the extra room but I mostly play a 5x14 so went with it. It's been great for those gigs where I just need snare, pedal and cymbals and also other gigs where I can't use a dolly I can carry everything in on two trips as I also have a cymbal backpack. So loading a four piece in two trips is quite manageable now.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dammit, I did it again. Must resist FB Marketplace.....

Percussion Plus Hydraulic throne, mint, for $20. Surprised when I saw that these go for $150 on Amazon and Drum Center New Hampshire.

Wanted mainly for the hydraulic base to pair with a Roc-n-Soc seat bottom I picked up a few weeks ago. Now I have a $60 "Nitro" clone throne..

Screenshot_20200217-141107_Messenger.jpg

Last edited:

gmiller598

Reaction score
To be delivered Thursday I'm getting a new LP Mambo bell, LP mini Timbales, and a Sabian Crescent 20" Wide Ride.

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
I sold my kit back in 2014 and stopped playing completely. 6 months ago, the bug got me and I returned to playing. When I played before I was a poor student with few funds and then a impulsive young adult who bought with my eyes rather sense, so I took the time to make sure I made the right gear acquisitions this time round. I now present to you the fruits of my labour!

8783A573-00EF-4257-BC21-0DDDC2BD43CD.jpeg
6F069DA7-E4FA-4477-B270-C3E310E2CEDA.jpeg
4F98D04C-5473-46F4-9998-A9CB9406FDA8.jpeg

It’s a Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX?) in a lovely red stain finish. 22” BD, with 10” (not pictured), 12”, and 14” toms. I also acquired a matching MMX Maple 14x5.5” snare to go with it.

After a bit of tinkering, it’s now skinned with Ambassador Coated over Clear on the toms, G1 Coated over Snareside 300 on the maple snare, and EMAD over EQ3 on the bass drum.

What an amazing tone! The toms especially sound exceptional in the low tuning I use, and although it may not be the most exciting looking set-up it is audibly perfect.

However, in search of flexibility I wanted to acquire a brass snare I could use when required in place of the MMX. Conveniently, one of our drum stores here decided to do a sale this week which included some nice prices on PorkPies. They were a name I was acutely aware of but hadn’t heard in the flesh, but also on sale was a name I definitely had heard of; DW! In the end, I bottomed it down to either the black nickle over brass 14x6.5 offering from DW, or a forced patina 14x6.5 PP.

I’ll let you guess who won..

E1A0B80C-CB18-4E2E-BC3E-88D9D334FC72.jpeg
389FB079-3D84-4AB5-93CF-19B1C1DF723F.jpeg

Having previously played some very visually stunning SJC drums which actually sounded very lack lustre, I’m pleased to report that Pork Pie have come up trumps! Just look at that lovely patina. It’s simultaneously the best looking and nicest sounding snare drum I’ve ever had the joy to play. No doubt the DW would have been good too, but I can’t fault this PP one bit and it was £180 cheaper than the DW would have been, and it looks infinitely better!

Also pictured are some recent cymbal acquisitions I’ve made to go with this new kit;

-15” Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hats
-19” Zildjian A Thin Crash
-20” Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
-22” Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom
-23” Zildjian A Sweet Ride

(not pictured are a 22” A Custom Ride and 24” K Light Ride which I’m also giving good use when genre appropriate!)

I’m sure you can agree that it’s safe to say; I’m back!

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Im building a shell bank,bought a 16" fltm and a 22" bass both natural birch,Yamaha Stage Customs.
Added them to a 10,12,14,20 kit of same series,all match.
Now,for a 9x13!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold my kit back in 2014 and stopped playing completely. 6 months ago, the bug got me and I returned to playing. When I played before I was a poor student with few funds and then a impulsive young adult who bought with my eyes rather sense, so I took the time to make sure I made the right gear acquisitions this time round. I now present to you the fruits of my labour!

View attachment 430537 View attachment 430541 View attachment 430534

It’s a Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX?) in a lovely red stain finish. 22” BD, with 10” (not pictured), 12”, and 14” toms. I also acquired a matching MMX Maple 14x5.5” snare to go with it.

After a bit of tinkering, it’s now skinned with Ambassador Coated over Clear on the toms, G1 Coated over Snareside 300 on the maple snare, and EMAD over EQ3 on the bass drum.

What an amazing tone! The toms especially sound exceptional in the low tuning I use, and although it may not be the most exciting looking set-up it is audibly perfect.

However, in search of flexibility I wanted to acquire a brass snare I could use when required in place of the MMX. Conveniently, one of our drum stores here decided to do a sale this week which included some nice prices on PorkPies. They were a name I was acutely aware of but hadn’t heard in the flesh, but also on sale was a name I definitely had heard of; DW! In the end, I bottomed it down to either the black nickle over brass 14x6.5 offering from DW, or a forced patina 14x6.5 PP.

I’ll let you guess who won..

View attachment 430539 View attachment 430540

Having previously played some very visually stunning SJC drums which actually sounded very lack lustre, I’m pleased to report that Pork Pie have come up trumps! Just look at that lovely patina. It’s simultaneously the best looking and nicest sounding snare drum I’ve ever had the joy to play. No doubt the DW would have been good too, but I can’t fault this PP one bit and it was £180 cheaper than the DW would have been, and it looks infinitely better!

Also pictured are some recent cymbal acquisitions I’ve made to go with this new kit;

-15” Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hats
-19” Zildjian A Thin Crash
-20” Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
-22” Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom
-23” Zildjian A Sweet Ride

(not pictured are a 22” A Custom Ride and 24” K Light Ride which I’m also giving good use when genre appropriate!)

I’m sure you can agree that it’s safe to say; I’m back!
The pulse of the universe welcomes you back.

Latest posts