What's Your Latest Drum Purchase?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Somewhat drums related but not a drum per-se: I subscribed to Stanton Moore's drum academy.

I've been a fan of Stanton's for a good 10 years. And he has been very generous with his time and knowledge throughout the pandemic. Tonight he had a YT live event and had a good discount so I said why not?

I'll dive in depth in his drags/ruffs-loaded quirky shuffles and greasy "Noo'arleens" grooves. All the while financially supporting an active and engaged member of the drumming community. Win-win.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Sold a kit and a snare last week so picked up a new Frequent Flyer kit to replace them. The #2 FT is a separate add-on.

I like the ingenious 5 position DW butt on the higher models so added one to this F-F snare. It bolts right on, no drilling.

Also trying this Remo external BD muffler. I had the Gary Chaffee model at one time and loved it but sold it like a dope. I dont think he sells them anymore :(. Initial impressions of this Remo model is only so-so because it does not have any adjustable spring tension for the pad like Gary's did. We'll see.

Last edited:

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was lucky to get a drum I have had my eye on for a while now. Got $300 off because it's the older but brand new model with an admittedly crappy throw off that will need replacing, which will cost me $60. Sold a K Con which covered most of the cost, and now I have a new Ludwig snare along with my maple Brooklyn 5.5" and 6.5" hammered black beauty, also with tube lugs. It feels nice to be able to choose a 5", 5.5" or 6.5", copper,maple or brass.

I love the Ludwig snare side, but not the batter. I replaced it with a fiberskyn (spelling?) Diplomat. To get a true sense of it's capabilities, I need to update the strainer and get a set of canopus wires for it. Still, it's a stunning drum . It doesn't have the depth and ooomph of the 6.5" black beauty or the maple, but has a really pleasing tone and quick snare responsiveness. Overtones are really nicely balanced and rim-shots are cracking and bright, it seems like a very articulate drum. I'm starting to at least think about what I've heard said about copper; that it's a metal with a somewhat woody tone. I have to play it more to know more about it, but wanted to share my initial impressions and excitement.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 14

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a vintage 22" Ludwig Weathermaster reso head and a great 19" Zildjian A Thin crash at very reasonable prices! The reso bass drum head will go on my 66 Super Classic rail mount set and the 19" thin crash will go on my 66 Super Classic gigging kit.

Attachments

• dfonewitems1.jpg
    dfonewitems1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 15
  • dfonewitems2.jpg
    dfonewitems2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

culture trash

Reaction score
My new Yamaha Recording Custom just arrived. It’s got a 14x22 kick, 15x16 floor Tom, and 8x12 rack Tom. Toms give you all that deep punchy goodness the RCs are known for, but this kick is otherworldly. I’ve heard mixed reviews about the original RC’s kick drums, but this thing is massive. Playing it wide open, it sounds just as big as the Ludwig Classic Maple I got these to replace. Plus, I was able to get them in the slick surf green finish.

40B017F8-DB63-47B2-8677-170AF3E56678.jpeg

12698ACC-DA5A-41FB-BB46-4735C86B62E8.jpeg

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Possible upgrade for my Broadkaster 135th aniversary snare.

I've had success with Canopus' 20 strands Vintage wires sounding great on my Rogers Holiday 5x14.

So I'll see if I can get a better/smoother tone with these 42's than with the the stock Gretsch unit. If not, then these may end up under my Acro to make an extra "Dooooshy" ballad snare.
20220605_185501.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I put it on snare and bass drum today.

Nice!! Really brings forth the ring in the snare. That's fun to mess with att/release times and the level & ratio to tune the length and "bounce" of notes. You could even exagerate the note length on your kick as well. But also, see what it does on a whole bus, even on whole mixes. Compression is a complex art and there's something to be learned, fun to be had both in the restraint and in the extremes. Nice buy!!