What's your latest drum purchase?

wraub

Reaction score
The toms are currently in use with a Sonor bass drum, the Yamaha bass is still in quarantine in the garage and has yet to be reunited with the others, but... ;)

Let's see some pics!

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had purchased a DW LowPro Travel kit shortly before the Pandemic hit . I was looking for something portable that I could use for my weekly Big Band rehearsal . Sound was going to be secondary to portability in this particular need . Fortunately the DW LowPro actually sounds quite good . The exception being the SNOM ( snare/Tom) and I quickly sold that and went with one of my own snare drums instead . The kit with the mounting hardware in the designed filling case weighs about 25 lbs and easily fits in car trunks . I use the Tama Classic series hardware with this kit for a nice lightweight solution for my rehearsals .
Would I gif with this ? Sure for certain small rooms and I would probably trigger the bass drum using a Roland TM-1 and trigger .

Attachments

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had to edit this whole post since I never ended up getting the DP-24SD. I ended up taking the hybrid route to learn & start recording. Tascam Model 12 Mixer/DAW controller/Multitrack recorder/audio interface. It arrived 2 days ago and trying to start setting it up this weekend.
model_12_p_front.jpg

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Very nice! 2 weeks ago I picked up a Raw Brass in the same size and love it! View attachment 446232
Love it! Did yours come with Ludwig 18-strand wires, too? The guys at my shop said Ludwig has been shipping snare drums with those, instead of their usual 20-strand wires, for the past couple months or so. They sound great on my Copperphonic.

wraub

Reaction score
...because I am an idiot, I finally got around to trying this beech custom suspended tom as... a suspended tom- It's freaking amazing.

The toms are currently in use with a Sonor bass drum, the Yamaha bass is still in quarantine in the garage and has yet to be reunited with the others, but... ;)

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Walton's 15" tuneable Bohdran from The Blarney Woolen Mills retail outlet, Ireland . Natural hide, I'm assuming goatskin . Never played - a gift from seller's vacationing relatives .I bought it off of KIJIJI for less than half the retail price .

Now all I have to do is learn how to play it .

Last edited:

fenrir

Reaction score
Walton's 15" tuneable Bohdran from The Blarney Woolen Mills retail outlet, Ireland . Natural hide, I'm assuming goatskin . Never played - a gift from seller's vacationing relatives .I bought it off of KIJIJI for less than half the retail price .

Now all I have to do is learn how to play it .

Check out Ronan O'Snodaigh's videos on YouTube. He's done a series of instructional videos. Bow-ron. My partner is Irish and we're over there a lot, thinking about moving there and I was playing a lot for a couple of years before realising I could play everything the best players play, but using two sticks on another drum!

dingaling

Reaction score
I wasn’t looking to get another kit right now but I’m always on the hunt for one of these and have never seen a full kit available in the US. I don’t know if a snare has ever been available for resale.
It’s a Sonor Nussbaum Hilite kit from the early 90’s. Maple shells. This series was unique because it was all standard sizes. 10x8, 12x8, 14x14, 20x14, and snare. Sonor also stained the interior shells walnut for this series. Had to pull the trigger as soon as I saw it and the seller was very fair with price and packed with amazing care. Opening them on arrival was very exciting. They are amazing and very good condition.

Attachments

dingaling

Reaction score
I also bought a matching 15” tom that was available to turn into a jazz bass drum.
Canopus makes a 15” bass drum That sounds great.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love it! Did yours come with Ludwig 18-strand wires, too? The guys at my shop said Ludwig has been shipping snare drums with those, instead of their usual 20-strand wires, for the past couple months or so. They sound great on my Copperphonic.
I did some horse trading with a local drummer for mine and it came with Puresound 12 strand Equalizers on it. It sounds great but then again I prefer snare wires with less strands. The guy did give me the original Ludwig 20 strand snare wires that came with it. I bet the 18 strand wires sound great.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 443201 Ordered these back in August of last year and they arrived in February.
12x16 bass drum
14x20 bass drum
7x10 tom
16x16 floor tom
I already had an 18, 10, 12, and 14 in the same finish
I was able to play the 16” bass drum on a handful of restaurant gigs and then the pandemic canceled all my gigs. Next week I get to play the 20, 10, and 16 at a wedding
Interesting that you got the 16” and 20” bass drums, instead of 18” and 22”. Thought process?

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Got this over a month ago, but technically it is my latest drum purchase. A 6.5" x 14" hammered black beauty with tube lugs. Got some new heads and snares on it, and after playing it for the last month and getting it dialled in, it's just a beast. Tight controlled snare sound in the middle, and a ringing crack as you move towards the rim. It retains sensitivity no matter the volume, and seems to have no volume threshold. Just can't wait to resume band practice and try out my new gear in context.

Sorry this isn't more of a glamour shot, but it's remained on the stand since I got it. It's beautiful for sure, but it's meant to be played!

DSC_3601.JPG

Latest posts