header.nohb.html

What's Your Latest Drum Purchase?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 14x6.5 Rogers Xp-10 NOS raw shell from Al Drew Music. I now have all the parts to build an NOS clone down to the green felt lug gaskets. I was planning on just using a keller shell I picked up from Anderson International years ago but it ended up having too much grain compared to the OG Xp-10 shells.
Did those shells already have bearing edges cut?

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Full bodied robust and deep yet sensitive and warm. A little louder than a jazz fest . I’m obsessed.
I can relate to that, your obsession, I feel it, it's a crazy snare. Well, I will see how I do with deep snares with the Summit 14x8 that is going to be sent, Beech/Mahogany/Beech and I might tune my 15x8 walnut at a normal pitch for a snare instead of a low deep snom, it's at C2 now, while my 16" Floor Tom is C1 but I like this whoooffff that you have when the snare pushes a lot of air...
And I have my Tama SLP Maple/Zebrawood 14x7 that is going to arrive next week as well, so, I think I will get metal snares after that, 1 or 2 Copper, maybe Tama Raw Copper 14x7 and a Dunnet Georgo Borlai Copper 14x6,5, plus two Bronze, one Indé drums 14,5 Bronze kalamazoo and one Pearl Phosphor Bronze Sensitone 14x5,5...
Then, I will see, I still like a lot the Benny Greb Beech 13x5,75 and the Mapex Craig Blundel 14x6,5...
So, still 5 snares to go and I think I will stop at that with my collection, no more room anyway after that.

But I don't know, I hope the "need" for a 10" will not bug me to much...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I got this earlier in the week. Always wanted one but they were hard to find for awhile. I thought about a 6" depth but just about all my snares are 14x6 so I went with this little 14x5 cracker instead. I'm really liking it too!

View attachment 595445
Excellent choice Mr. Weaves! :thumbright:
Looks like a brass shell. Is it brass?
I should get one. I'm looking for a metal Sonor snare in that size.

covinasurf

Reaction score
Came yesterday. Haven't had much time with it yet, will be using it rehearsal this morning. I did adjust the snare frame, I think someone just threw it together after a head change.

It's in great shape. Some very minor pitting on the lugs, strainer, butt and the tone control knob. Notthing a little chrome polish can't take care of.
Dating is hard on these drums as all of the links to dating guides are broken due to age. I'm guessing somewhere between 73 and 75 when they went to the full circle guards and of course the Big R badges.

JH

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2184.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2191.JPG

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent choice Mr. Weaves! :thumbright:
Looks like a brass shell. Is it brass?
I should get one. I'm looking for a metal Sonor snare in that size.
Yessir! Brass it is. I wanted one without the cast hoops as I prefer an S-hoop on the batter side. Not to mention they're about $200 less expensive. Here's one in Canada. Maybe drop them an email and ask about shipping to US.

Jeremy Crockett

Reaction score
My TAMA Big Black Steel snare 14" x 8" arrived last night. It received Remo Ambassadors and PureSound wires. It is huge, sounds great, and is priced very nicely. This is my first metal snare and I'm very happy with it!

SLP_BOX_01.jpg

SLP_SIDE.jpg

Size comparison with my Superstar Classic Maple:
SLP_CMPAR.jpg

They even included their fancier key:
SLP_KEY.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, you had already seen the photos from the store but at my place, it's even better (Well, maybe not the photos but better for me to have it), it has arrived this morning:
TAMA G-MAPLE ZEBRAWOOD 14X7".
It's really loud, super crack, great 42 wires, the black hardware is great!!!And it came already tuned perfectly and the gloss is really nice, I have two snares with gloss now, this one and the Mapex Shadows!!!
image (6).jpeg

image (5).jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

image (4).jpeg

image (5).jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And last but not least, my Summit 14X8 Beech/Mahogany being on the way as well, the proline rack is here, I have posted more photo on a specific thread". So, I will need a second one when the snares coming will be here, I have already 2 snares with not room/spot to be...Ok, I took off of their Snare stands the 4 Snares that are on the kit, so, basically, I have room for now...
IMG_4561.JPG
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4566.JPG
IMG_4573.JPG
IMG_4575.JPG

Reaction score

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The kit currently setup at home is my Red Oyster Sonor Vintage (loooooooove that kit...)

Although the 5x14 Rogers Holiday snare I was using with it sounded AWESOME, something didn't sit right with me seeing the slight wrap difference (Red Onyx R. to Red Oyster S.) all the time so I pulled the trigger on matching a 6.5x14 Sonor Vintage snare. It's supposed to get here by dec. 16th...
Sonor snare.jpeg

EDIT: OMG LOLOLOLOL!!!! in the first sentence I made a typo by inserting an unfortunately placed L in the word "KIT" !!!