What's your listening gear set up? Turntable, speakers?

dingaling

Reaction score
Wondering what drummers listening set ups were?

I have a technics 1200-mk2 for turntable, Ortofon Blue Cartridge, Bellari pre-amp, an old Nad CD player, and audio engine 5 speakers.

I can plug my iPhone or computer directly into the speakers. I have a pair of old passive speakers but like the new powered ones better.

My vinyl collection is around 200, mostly jazz stuff, It used to be way more but sold or gave away many over the years when moving.

I didn't keep my old tapes so I don't need a tape player.

Maybe have 200 cd's also. CD and Vinyl both have their sound.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Technics SL-D2 turntable (deadened with a TON of modeling clay on the inside, tightened up the bass in a huge way) with a Grado Gold cart into a Yamaha receiver into Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers. For headphones I'm using Grado SR80e's or Audio Technica ATH-M50X's.

According to Discogs I have just over 300 records. Mostly punk, indie rock and classic rock stuff. Sold all of my CDs a few years ago.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Rega RP6/exact2 cart into a Audio research tube phono stage, that can go into about 4 systems.
2prs of B&W Cm2 one pair of small Cm4 floor standing and a pair of Khorns.
powered by a mix of Mcintosh, VTL, restored Dynaco st70,Naim and some older Linn gear.
I would say about 2-3k lps and around 800 or so cds, also have some reel to reels.
2 Revox and 2 Akai,,,,yep musical mayhem in my living room.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
iPhone with earbuds; Bose Bluetooth speaker; car stereo. I don’t think my tired ears can differentiate between that and a true audiophile setup anymore. I listen to music constantly.

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2
Vecteur L-4.2 CD Player
Primare 301 Integrated Amplifier
Von Schweikert VR-4 Speakers
Graham Slee SRG II and Grado RA-1 Headphone Amplifiers
Grado RS-1 Headphones

makinao

Reaction score
2012 Macbook Pro 15" > Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 > Mackie MR8 mk2 active monitors, Sennheiser HD280pro, Sennheiser HD380pro, Massdrop-Sennheiser HD58x, Sennheiser HD414 50th Anniversary Edition, Audio-Technica ATH-M70x.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS Audio BHK Stereo 250 Power Amp
PS Audio BHK Signature preamp
VPI Classic III turntable w/Lyra Kleos cartridge
Bob's Devices MC cartridge Step Up Transformer
PS Audio NuWave phono converter
VPI HW-17 vinyl record cleaner
Dangerous Music Source DAC
Scansonic MB-3.5 satellite speakers
Two JL Audio E112 subs
JL Audio CR-1 sub crossover
STAX SRD-7 Professional Electrostatic headphones (Bought these in the 90's and had them refurbished a few years ago.)
Furman P-1800 AR power distribution

Old Musical Fidelity A5 CD player I don't use anymore. I have well over 10,000 LP's and about 600 CD's. I rip all CD's to my integrated computer and then store them. I should have taken better care of the CD's over the years.

Last edited:

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a fancy place to listen to music but with two small kids and a wife who has little to no taste in music I have a great pair of Sony XB-950BT phones and my iPhone. Some day when the kids are older I would love to get some audiophile equipment in the basement when it becomes more than just a play/junk room for the kids.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver, miscellaneous Klipsch, Polk, and Definitive speakers and subs. Oppo UDP 203 player. I got away from vinyl years ago. I enjoy the newer formats of DVD-A, SACD, DTSCD, all in multichannel surround. One of my hobbies is remastering some of my old favorites that have not been released in multichannel. I use DTS HD Master Suite and Goldwave to turn music into surround sound formats.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks to a friend who retired from Harman Int. recently I scored a set of JBL M2 Studio Reference Monitors with an LSR 780i center channel and a Crown Dci 8/600n. Due to the fact there were no Oppos under $3K left I got a Sony UBP-X800 disc player, which is OK because the magic happens in the Crown crossovers and the JBL drivers and cabinets. The player and computer/remote drive goes through an Outlaw pre-pro for surround processing and a Driverack 4800DSP to try to tame poorly mastered media. The surrounds are routed through a Hafler/Harman amp because the eight 600 watt amps in the Crown are used up bi-amping the front end and subs You can really tell who knows and cares how to mix and master music with this system. Those with talent and who care enough sound superb. Those who just want to get the product on the shelves are revealed as this rig yields the truth of whats on the recording.
No turntable. Vinyl is great for the analog sound but I was done with needle noise the second digital came out.
Would I have loved some B&W 800 series at least? (or a set of Van Shweikert$$$$) Sure. But I got this rig for about 90% off. Pretty hard to say "no" to that.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks to a friend who retired from Harman Int. recently I scored a set of JBL M2 Studio Reference Monitors with an LSR 780i center channel and a Crown Dci 8/600n. Due to the fact there were no Oppos under $3K left I got a Sony UBP-X800 disc player, which is OK because the magic happens in the Crown crossovers and the JBL drivers and cabinets. The player and computer/remote drive goes through an Outlaw pre-pro for surround processing and a Driverack 4800DSP to try to tame poorly mastered media. The surrounds are routed through a Hafler/Harman amp because the eight 600 watt amps in the Crown are used up bi-amping the front end and subs You can really tell who knows and cares how to mix and master music with this system. Those with talent and who care enough sound superb. Those who just want to get the product on the shelves are revealed as this rig yields the truth of whats on the recording.
No turntable. Vinyl is great for the analog sound but I was done with needle noise the second digital came out.
Would I have loved some B&W 800 series at least? (or a set of Van Shweikert$$$$) Sure. But I got this rig for about 90% off. Pretty hard to say "no" to that.
I've got all sorts of remastered albums I've done in multichannel format. Also close to 300 original discs in multiple formats. My favorite way to listen to music. The separation is phenomenal andnthe clarity is second to none.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I have a couple of Sonos speakers. With this Internet-connected speakers I can stream all the music on my phone or computer to Sonos -- anywhere in the house or on the porch or back patio. Not the greatest sound in the world, but plenty good to have on while cooking, reading or staring up at the stars.

At work, I have a $17 in-ear Bluetooth in my ear anytime I'm not speaking with someone. Right now, I'm listening to the new album from Norway's Bokassa. It's awesome and hilarious. I can see why Metallica picked them to open all the dates on their European stadium tour this summer.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pc>Mbox>Yamaha HS8 monitors and HS8S sub using all Mogami Gold TRS cables. Very clean/flat sound.

Bose Soundlink II bluetooth speaker for shower jams

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kef R11 speakers
Rogue Cronus Magnum tube integrated amp
Mytek Libterty DAC
Bluesound Node 2 streamer
TEAC TN400s TT
Ortofon 2M Black cart
Bluejeans 10AWG speaker cable
AudioQuest interconnects

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced my B&K setup with a Emotiva rig (XPA-5 amp; XMC-1 processor; ERC-3 CD drive; + Sony CE-595 SACD player; and an OPPO BDP-103 +Panasonic TC-P55VT60 for viewing), driving a B&W 600 Series 2 speaker setup (DM605 mains; LCR6 center; DM602 rears).

I have a smaller room (that is a bit reflective) so the 605's were a great choice for me as they have an integral powered subwoofer in the unit which decreased the overall footprint.
I've desired the B&W 800 series for a long time and would like to upgrade when I get a more suitable room in my "forever" house in the not too distant future.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apartment System:
Turntable is an old Rega Planar 2
Preamp - Parasound Pre 200
Amp - Parasound 275 V2
Speakers - Harbeth P3 ESR
Sonos Connect

Desktop:
Schiit Jotunheim
Genelec 8010A
Sennheiser HD600
Grado RS 2e
Etymotic ER4 SR

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My setup is very modest compared to all of these:
Technics SL-QL15 that our bass player gave me. This one's neat because it'll let you skip to a track like a CD. I don't use that feature too often though.
Pioneer SA-1290 amp with Tx1090z Tuner that I got from another friend.
All going through a Vizio soundbar and 8" subwoofer.

It's not the best, but for as often as I listen to vinyl it works well enough. Most of the time I cast to my Chromecast Audio from my phone to the soundbar/sub.

I made the entertainment center (and matching coffee table) and I designed it so the turntable could slide out to use and tucked away behind a door when it's not being used, to keep our soon-to-be crawling son away from it. I also have an IR repeater so we can use the Roku, radio, and DVD player even with the doors shut.

IMG_20190621_113110980.jpg

IMG_20190124_085448.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop