What's your listening gear set up? Turntable, speakers?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I hardly have the time to just sit and listen to music. Plus my stereo and electronic drums are in the study which is also where the xbox is, which is also where my daughter is most of the time :) Nothing fancy, I have a JVC receiver with a Realistic/Radio Shack sub and Advent Baby IIs

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow, great stuff.

For me--for listening and watching--I have a Hitachi stereo system from the '80s which includes my JBL 4312 studio monitors from back then in my garage, an incredibly expensive 8.1 channel surround sound wired-in-wall audio/video system in my family room from the 00s (Denon and more JBL studio quality speakers plus an M&K Subwoofer), a soundbar in my bedroom with subwoofer and rear channel speakers, plus three different additional room configurations with Bose and Kurzweil powered speakers--all "unwired" together with Google Chromecast. Thus, I have music cascading through every room in my house and garage utilizing all of the audio equipment I've conscripted since 1976.

My turntable is an English B.I.C. with Garrard cartridge and needle, also from 1976. And I have most all my albums and 45s since 1964, plus some 78s from my parents and grandparents. I have a top-of-the-line 1980s Teac cassette recorder and VHS video-to-DVD converter, as well as Sony high band 8MM Video recorder/player from the 1990s, plus a Sony DV decoder/player, and a 1983 Sony PCM 701 ES--the first digital audio unit that utilizes a VHS recorder and tape to master two track audio. Oh, and a Nakamichi MusicBank CD player.

And everything still works!

As to what I use to play drums and listen along with music, it's either my Sony waterproof WalkMan runner's headset or my Bose wireless Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones plugged in to my Galaxy Android phone, either of which plays through my Roland 5 piece E-Kit.

I'm boasting about my antiques! So there! Am I old or what? :)

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mac >
Black Lion modified MOTU 896HD (actually 2 of them) driven by Black Lion Micro Clock Mk2>
SM Pro Audio M-Patch2 Passive Volume Control>
pair of Genelec 1030A monitors (or AKG K240 Studio headphones)

I have a mediocre Stanton turntable (with some what better cartridge), cassette deck, cd players, 1/4" 2-track, 1/4" 4 track and 1/2" 8 track... none of which I ever really listen to... mainly just for making transfers of older stuff that I haven't gotten to transferring.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sony PS-X4 > Denon PMA-750 > IMF Compact Monitor 2

Space pics from when I had just moved in. HW Klein Bramin listening chair, and a silk Kashan rug from India, which I inherited from my grandparents who lived in Mumbai from '81 to '87. It tightens up the sound a lot, and at the same time really ties the room together.

Now playing: Gnags - Mr. Swing King. Danish 80's pop at its best, both in terms of production and songwriting.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SPOTIFY and a cheap Yamaha amp I bought at Goodwill for $20 plus some EVENT studio monitors (found used on craigslist).

I still got the old JVC turntable with Shure cartridge set up and in good working order but never play it. Got tired of the weak bass and ticks/pops of vinyl. Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND side 3 is on there right now. I have had the JVC for about 40 years now!

The ammonoid fossil on top of the CD player really helps tighten the bass.

Got the rug too. Gotta have the rug....

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

Last edited:

Dillasdonuts

Reaction score
I have the turntable hooked up to a Sonos Connect: Amp and I have three more Sonos Play:1 speakers in the kitchen, the basement, and the extra room that serves as our son's playroom. I like the convenience of being able to listen to vinyl in any room or just streaming music. I would like to get a Sonos Move at some point.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always have music playing, I have an MP3 player with over 5k songs on it. I bluetooth it into various speakers.

My wife got me this one for Christmas a few years ago after I saw one in a shop we were in once. It's always playing when we're making dinner or doing something.

1612806892507.png

I have a portable tailgaiter in the basement for when we're doing stuff down there but I got it for camping or when we get a bonfire going in the yard since it's rechargeable.

And a little Anker speaker whatever.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SPOTIFY and a cheap Yamaha amp I bought at Goodwill for $20 plus some EVENT studio monitors (found used on craigslist).

I still got the old JVC turntable with Shure cartridge set up and in good working order but never play it. Got tired of the weak bass and ticks/pops of vinyl. Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND side 3 is on there right now. I have had the JVC for about 40 years now!!

I love the old dude, just don't use it much.
I get you about the ticks/pops. Most of my vinyl records are second hand, and really need to invest in a record cleaner. But a clean, well maintained one sounds a lot better than the digital alternative to my ears. Also, I don't find the bass lacking.
I'm a big fan of Spotify/Tidal (whichever is cheapest through my phone plan), and my bluetooth speaker and headphones for when I'm on the go or at my summer house. But at home I much prefer physical media.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I always have music playing, I have an MP3 player with over 5k songs on it. I bluetooth it into various speakers.

My wife got me this one for Christmas a few years ago after I saw one in a shop we were in once. It's always playing when we're making dinner or doing something.

View attachment 483973

I have a portable tailgaiter in the basement for when we're doing stuff down there but I got it for camping or when we get a bonfire going in the yard since it's rechargeable.

And a little Anker speaker whatever.
Those are cool. If I'm not mistaken, a guitar can be plugged into them.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m running a pair of Kali IN-8 (self-powered) speakers connected to my recording interface which is an Arturia Audiofuse Studio. I’ve been listening through studio recording rigs for so long now that I have to draw on my memory of sitting in a room with vinyl records and a turntable, which I’d like to get into again.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did my University Engineering placement year at Quad Electroacoustics 1988-89(Mission were just across the railway line at the back of the factory) Peter Walker (founder) and Mike Albinson (Chief Engineer) were a delight to work with.

Main system -
Ariston Q Deck / Linn Basik Cartridge
Quad 67 CD Player (excellent) / 66 Pre / 66 Tuner / 306 Power Amp
KEF Q35.2 Floor Standers

Music Room
Panasonic DVD Player
Mission Cyrus 2
Mission 70 Mk2 Speakers
Nakamichi DR3 Tape Deck
Mac Mini (SSD) . Presonus Firebox interface

Spare room
Quad 22 Pre
Quad ii Valve Power Amps (x 2)
Ipod Classic 160G

Garage
Mission Cyrus 1
JBL Control Ones

Cheers
Mick

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Micro Seiki DD-35 TT/Denon DL 103r mc cartridge.
Nikko Beta 20 pre
Nikko Gamma 30 tuner
Adcom GFA 555 mkII
Magnepan MGIIIa loudspeakers
38A2C6B9-7A3C-4F36-AF03-363146496B93.jpeg

Pibroch

Reaction score
Corrugated iron shed 7x4m with plasterboard interior walls and ceiling, concrete floor mostly carpeted. Surprisingly decent acoustics when listening nearfield with two speakers well out from a side wall behind them, up one end of the room.

Mostly stream locally (downloaded files from Bandcamp and CDs) and with Tidal HiFi.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listen to music on two different systems — my home theater and my studio:

Home Theater (all THX-certified):

Klipsch KT-LCR front-channel speakers
Klipsch KT-DS surround speakers
JBL 4641 subwoofer
Lexicon DC-1 surround processor*
Kenwood KM-X1 6-channel amp
Panasonic DMP-BDT100 Blu-ray player

*Studio audio also feeds into the Lexicon so I can check mixes or listen to background music in surround

Studio:

Klipsch Cornwall speakers (been using them for around 35 years, so I know their sound inside and out)
Sonance 622 speakers (for checking mixes)
Electron Kinetics Eagle 2a 2-channel amplifier
PreSonus 1818VSL audio interface with Digimax D8 8-channel expander
PreSonus StudioOne DAW

I always hated the fact that vinyl (even the very best vinyl) adds all this extraneous crap to the music (besides the fact that LPs are sonically very different from their master tapes), so I sold my Linn Sondek/Ekos turntable, Grado Signature cartridges and a couple thousand LPs over 20 years ago.

Having never been satisfied with the 'audio perspective' presented by 2-channel reproduction (stereo was originally invented as a 3-channel medium), in 1980 I started listening on a Klipsch 3-channel system (Klipschorns with a Cornwall center channel) and converted to full surround sound in 1994. Since then I haven't missed plain old stereo or my vinyl LPs for one second.

Drumolator

Reaction score
I am listening to the following gear.

SONY CDP-CE500 (CD player, eight years old and still going)
Sherwood RX-4503 (receiver)
Boston Acoustics CS26 (bookshelf speakers)
SONY subwoofer

To me this all sounds great. I used this system to buy two AAX Studio Crashes from my cymbal.com videos, and that went just as well I wanted. Peace and goodwill.