When a touring Prog band joins the ranks of a cover band....

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Wow! This really surprised me. I've played in cover bands all my life and strive to do the best I can in the bands that I'm in. That being said, there are some GREAT cover bands out there.

So, today, while checking out some of my favorite bands on the PC, I came across this. I LOVE Spock's Beard, including all the iterations as they've had many personnel changes. I come to find, the core of Spock's Beard have a cover band in Sacramento called Rolling Heads. The current SB lead singer (Ted Leonard), bass player (Dave Meros) and ex drummer (Jimmy Keegan) are in this cover band. Watching videos, yeah, these guys are a great cover band as one would expect. Still, it surprised me. Their web site is at https://dmeros.wixsite.com/rollingheads

I guess some guys got to do what they got to do...earn a buck. I'm not sure SB is touring lately as their web site doesn't show any recent tour dates. Too bad, such a great band.

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
This reminds me of when Nick D'virgilio left for Cirque Du Soleil. Such an amazing band hard to believe they never amounted to more in the public eye. Snow is still my favorite album since 1999.

Last edited:

chillybase

Reaction score
Taylor Hawkins has Chevy Metal as a side cover band. As far as I know, they are just a cover band. Of course, he has his original side projects as well.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I figured Nick had to have some sort of musicians 'cred' but I couldn't find him when I googled him a while back (outside of Sweetwater). Maybe my search got crossed up with the apostrophe in his name or something.

He's crazy talented - what else do he have out there?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There have been more famous/successful bands than I can recall that had members do just this.
It isn't necessarily a money driven decision.
Musicians like to play and create. Some call it an "outlet" ... others use different terms ... but they are all saying the same things. They like to be creative and enjoy playing with other like-minded musicians. This is a very large chunk of land - USA - and if you look inside some of the buildings strewn across it, you will find some very big names gracing some very small stages with very big smiles on their faces.
It is a neat thing to see.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, musicians love to play but from what I read there are more artists than we'd like to think that are struggling to make ends meet. Top tier players, who tour as support for large acts but when that tour is off are picking up whatever they can. It's tough out there!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I’ll chime in again with this. I know a few top guys playing in cover bands here in the Bay Area. Jim Bogios from Counting Crows being one. Man, he’s an excellent lead singer BTW.

psyched

Reaction score
Reminds me of Todd Sucherman talking about coming off a tour playing arenas to pick up a wedding gig in a small room. I think it was in one of his instructional videos.

And who are we to judge from the outside? Maybe a drummer who does this likes making music with the other players. I'm sure many relationships have been forged in a cover band that led to those musicians hooking up for bigger things or recommending each other. The phone ringing with a "small" gig is better than it not ringing at all, never know where things could lead...

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sure there are plenty of artists out there.
But even Chris Rodriguez plays the guitar in church when he can (as he just did this past weekend).
An artist is going play ... not because he has to keep the green flowing through his wallet ... but because he has to play and create.
It is part and parcel of a musicians buildout.
As with all things, there are degrees.
Some need to have cash flow at a particular moment in time ... so they play.
Some need to connect on a creative level with no regard to money ... so they play.
Some need to connect with the audience in a small setting for immediate feedback ... so they play.
We all carry our own story and needs at each moment in time.

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
Sure there are plenty of artists out there.
But even Chris Rodriguez plays the guitar in church when he can (as he just did this past weekend).
An artist is going play ... not because he has to keep the green flowing through his wallet ... but because he has to play and create.
It is part and parcel of a musicians buildout.
As with all things, there are degrees.
Some need to have cash flow at a particular moment in time ... so they play.
Some need to connect on a creative level with no regard to money ... so they play.
Some need to connect with the audience in a small setting for immediate feedback ... so they play.
We all carry our own story and needs at each moment in time.
I love it.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ll chime in again with this. I know a few top guys playing in cover bands here in the Bay Area. Jim Bogios from Counting Crows being one. Man, he’s an excellent lead singer BTW.
I'm a fan. Bogios is right up there with my favorite drummers who so passionately play for the betterment of the music as a whole. He really hooked me when he was backing Cheryl Crow.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
I figured Nick had to have some sort of musicians 'cred' but I couldn't find him when I googled him a while back (outside of Sweetwater). Maybe my search got crossed up with the apostrophe in his name or something.

He's crazy talented - what else do he have out there?
I know I've posted this at least once before, but this is just a great piece of music. The drum solo at the beginning is pretty impressive too.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Like it or not, when you become famous, you become a 'brand'.

Probably not many people would go see Slayer play a bluegrass show. If they wanted to do that, they'd need a new name.

Latest posts