When Church drummer doesn’t listen

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I couldn't find a standalone clip, but one of the compilations is my favorite. Keyboard is the leader. He sets up patch for next song as he's trying to set the atmosphere. Drums cut loose on something crazy and totally inappropriate. Worship leader glares at drummer and the camera pans to show the drummer doing absolutely nothing. At that moment the leader realizes he's the culprit.

Burps

Reaction score
I used to play drums in church. Just wasn't fun after a while.
I recently quit my church gig that I have had for over 15 years. I burnt out. I also was not pleased that we were doing a new song just about every week. After piling on new song after new song I was just constantly glued to the music sheet and my notes because it became impossible for me to remember/memorize all the ins and outs of all the songs. Took the fun, and the worship, right out of it.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently quit my church gig that I have had for over 15 years. I burnt out. I also was not pleased that we were doing a new song just about every week. After piling on new song after new song I was just constantly glued to the music sheet and my notes because it became impossible for me to remember/memorize all the ins and outs of all the songs. Took the fun, and the worship, right out of it.
Yeah that’s not the best approach to bringing in new music. As a WL I try to limit to about 1 new song a month.

Jml

Reaction score
My church gigs dried up due to COVID. Made it easier to stop since I was considering quitting anyway.

Burps

Reaction score
Yeah that’s not the best approach to bringing in new music. As a WL I try to limit to about 1 new song a month.
That's perfect, IMO. That's how it used to be at my church, but it changed. Also, they completely dropped the hymns, which is what I love playing the most. They used to make sure that there was at least one hymn in the mix all the time, but not anymore. Now it's zilch. The newer modern songs just don't move me, except for one rare song here and there.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That's perfect, IMO. That's how it used to be at my church, but it changed. Also, they completely dropped the hymns, which is what I love playing the most. They used to make sure that there was at least one hymn in the mix all the time, but not anymore. Now it's zilch. The newer modern songs just don't move me, except for one rare song here and there.
Yeah different churches take different approaches to song mix. My repertoire is blended, many weeks there is some form of a hymn (probably 75% or more of the time). I’d like to say more but will PM you.

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
Similar situation with me. New songs all the time. It became more about technicalities rather than worship.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I was running sound at a large church (1500) once when they did "It Is Well". I had a hard cap at 95db. The congregation took it to 102-105. I was pulling back what I could, but it werent coming through my faders.

As much as I love contemporary music, I'm a huge antifan of throwing out the whole book every 5-10 years. And I want my son to be able to come back to songs he learned as a child when he's grown.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I was running sound at a large church (1500) once when they did "It Is Well". I had a hard cap at 95db. The congregation took it to 102-105. I was pulling back what I could, but it werent coming through my faders.

As much as I love contemporary music, I'm a huge antifan of throwing out the whole book every 5-10 years. And I want my son to be able to come back to songs he learned as a child when he's grown.
I think that’s part of the tension of being in leadership in church worship ministry. Most churches seem to be doing that every 5-10 years as you say, fewer have a long term blended view like mine. But church music is always evolving, so it may be that the next wave (or the one after that) may come back around to including older songs. As it stands now, the people who will be most likely to use songs from their childhood when they become adults are those who end up IN leadership in worship ministry. Which is why I say full circle is what we can hope for. It happened to me after all.