when did ian paice use this kit?

bon viesta

Reaction score
in case you didn’t know, which you likely didn’t because i haven’t really expressed it, i’m tooootally obsessed with ian paice. mainly his drums, as it seems to be with most drummers i idolize. but one mystery was always looming around, which is basically... when did he ever use this drum kit? the custom painted/wrapped blue 26 x 18 bass drum kit, i’ve seen images of it with some collector for a book cover and only one image of him on it (with concert toms instead of the big 16” tom, so likely after ‘75...) but i’ve never seen footage nor a date attached to his time with the kit. was it still when deep purple was even active? also any neat images you have are welcome, ian paice related in general. there isn’t a ton of images of him behind his big ludwig kits, surprisingly. i know there’s one gig where he has the bass drum head off. anyone know the date of that one?

Attachments

bon viesta

Reaction score
i do see “1975” on the first image of his kit, so if it is from 1975 is there any gigs in particular he used this kit?

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
I think you may be right about 1975.
Earlier in the year with Ritchie, he’s still got the Silver Sparkle kit with the big rack Tom:
Then in December in Japan with Tommy Bolin, looks like the blue kit:

bon viesta

Reaction score
I think you may be right about 1975.
Earlier in the year with Ritchie, he’s still got the Silver Sparkle kit with the big rack Tom:
Then in December in Japan with Tommy Bolin, looks like the blue kit:
both look like the silver to me, just one with concert toms and the other with the big tom tom. unless if that was intended, if so whoops.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's a closeup @10 min in the Bolin clip where the toms are pretty clearly sparkle.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Paolo Sburlati own that kit now?

I've always wanted to know what year his 22/13/16 Silver Sparkle Ludwig kit (the one he used to record Machine Head) was made.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Correct, right&true yes Paolo Sburlat does indeed own that kit, he actually mentions the exact&precise years Ian used that kit in his book (long out of print&difficult, hard to find) i have one (book), i'm happy to post the details/information Paolo says about the kit.The OP can also ask Ian himself on his drum cheif Youtube channel.FWIW i'd say late '75 early 76 the MKIIII reformation with Bolin.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say 70-71 as that album was recorded in 70-71 possibly 72.
I would agree, but we just don't know whether that was a Poplar / Mahogany kit, or a Maple / Poplar / Mahogany kit, or a Poplar / Maple kit. They sound like Mahogany, but I wonder if it was an older kit. From the photos, it wasn't an early 60s kit, so I'd say it was a '68 - '69...but the world may never know.
He toured with a silver sparkle kit, albeit much larger sizes - and I think Blue / Olive badges...but I want to know what he used for the album at the hotel.

bon viesta

Reaction score
Doesn't Paolo Sburlati own that kit now?

I've always wanted to know what year his 22/13/16 Silver Sparkle Ludwig kit (the one he used to record Machine Head) was made.
likely a 68/69 ludwig drum kit. you can tell from the absence of baseball bat mufflers and instead they feature the knob mufflers. and the kit is still keystone badges, and it has a ‘66-67 tom mount so i’d say it’s likely an early to mid ‘68 kit.

bon viesta

Reaction score
i’d likely say the kit is mahogany/poplar/mahogany, as the maple shells were made in october of ‘68 onwards and like i said i believe it was from early to mid ‘68.