When did Ludwig stop putting internal mufflers on Supra's?

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Supra with a Monroe keystone badge and a muffler, I'm trying pin point the date? Pre 90's , pre 95? I know the monroe badge began in 88 but when did they stop the internal muffler?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I think it would be pre '98 on the Supras. Acros continued mufflers after that but not Supras from what I gather.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe Monroe badges started in ‘85 with numbers 314xxxx. Muffler answer on the way.

Edit: Reading further, actually ‘84 was the move to Monroe and the appearance of that specific badge. I remember reading K.O. and others were able to estimate a likely time of year too. Can’t find my records on the muffler timeline but I know someone else has that intel. I think it was available by special order after some point making it even more challenging to determine the general end date. Again, that info needs to be validated.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Monroe badge 327xxxx stamped “492” which I believe represents April 92 if that helps. It had a muffler.

woody1953

Reaction score
Why did most/all drum companies stop installing internal mufflers, anyway? Use it or not was drummers choice. Personally, I like the muffler on both heads. Was that Gretsch that used to do that on production toms?

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Why did most/all drum companies stop installing internal mufflers, anyway? Use it or not was drummers choice. Personally, I like the muffler on both heads. Was that Gretsch that used to do that on production toms?
I think manufacturers stopped installing them because many drummers stopped using them. The screws would tend to come loose and rattle, and the only way to remedy that was to remove the head. Plus, it's an unnatural action against the head, creating simultaneous upward tension with the downward energy of each strike. It compromises tone, so drummers by and large removed them and muffled from the outside, which is a more natural way of controlling ring while minimizing impact on tone and drum head life. I removed all of internals in my snare drums (saving them of course!) and, because I didn't like the look of those empty holes, I replaced them with plain chrome cabinet knobs from Lowes :)

Latest posts