When did people stop playing butt end on snare ?

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is the time line on this ? All thru the 70’s and even into the 80’s most of the name guys played the butt end on the snare for a fatter sound. And definitely on the cross stick. But I see SO many drummers playing tip end out cross stick ( it sounds terrible to me ) and hardly anyone playing the drum with a reversed stick.

what happened? Bigger sticks ? Recording? Folks don’t care as much ?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who does this religiously, and I can hear why. I split the difference and went with a fatter stick, generally. I guess I felt like my left hand was being dragged down.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
the great hal blaine told me just flipping the stick around gives you 2 different sounds out of your snare. you want one drum to be able to make many sounds.

i'm with you on playing cross-stick with the butt end.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I do it all the time, even when not playing backbeats.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The butt end of the stick doesn't sound that great on cymbals which is why I hardly ever play it. Cross stick I often do, but only when I want a louder, fuller sound, which isn't all the time. I don't get why anyone would only do one thing when the choices are literally right in your hands.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do it alot also. Its a beefier sound without using a different stick.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quarter note shuffle - butt end on the ride .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's the only way I'll play ..matched.
plus the flip from trad to matched lines up in one easy move
i tagged it the Purdie grip (because he couldn't remember what it was called in an MD interview)
no one else had a name for it "butt-end out" so Purdie grip it is.
I wish I could do both tips out matched but I musta skipped that mindset (and I feel 'weak'..light...(my problem).
actually age 17-20 I played both tips out..then as soon as I began to utilize trad grip my matched changed to butt end out..but I don't remember me exactly back then in those early years..I didn't think about it I didn't think about grip.

(both tips out matched also leans pushes me towards left hand lead and I don't want to go there either)
so I'm a staunch "purdie grip" matched player.
right-handed.

Last edited:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did it forever back when I played Country Rock bar bands for a living. A solid, strong cross-stick was essential for those George Strait and Patsy Cline slow songs. Gave them slow songs some AUTHORITY.

Not so much butt-end playing any more... I have turned into a lightweight swingy-jazzy-funky guy (and I don't play loud any more... I like to practice late at night so I gotta hold it down so the neighbors don't complain).

I sure miss the cross-stick days.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
at times i like butt end out on trad grip. too.
it's weight, man.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I only do it when I need a louder sound cross sticking if it’s not miced up or if I flip a stick and catch it tip end.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not surprised everyone here does it. We’re all old
I must not be everyone. :) I don’t do it most of the time and I’m younger than most of you, if there’s any age correlation which there might be.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
butt end on the snare for a fatter sound. 1) And definitely on the cross stick. 2)
there's two things going on here.

Glad after awhile I caught the second part.
as I first addressed the first part

ThomasL

Reaction score
I rarely play backbeat music. It also seems that the higher you tune, the smaller the difference between different tips (or butt end) on the drums? On snares with cast hoops, I usually get a good enough cross stick sound without turning the stick around.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would hedge on a recording one could not tell if butt end was played on a cross stick.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always for cross stick. Never for backbeats. I probably should sometimes because it generally sounds better, but I don't like having mismatched sticks when playing the same surface with both hands.