When did Reverb overtake Ebay?

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
When did Reverb overtake Ebay? It seemed like for a long time, Reverb just didn't get the traffic that Ebay got. I would list on both and Ebay always seemed to get the sale and my items on Reverb just sat and sat. Somewhere along the line, however, Reverb overtook Ebay. I stopped using Ebay altogether and while I buy occasionally, I never even bother to list items there any longer. Reverb just gets it all, but I can see them now turning into what we dislike about Ebay. They have gotten more expensive, they are also policing the site more and more, looking for members selling "off Reverb" to avoid the fees. I recently sold a few drums on Reverb and the fees were crazy, especially after using the 4% Bump...the crazy thing is that it is all smoke and mirrors...I can't figure out the math with the fees. It is as clear as mud. It certainly isn't the friendly place it was 5 years ago, that's for sure. What are your thoughts.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I stopped selling on eBay in 2015, so probably after that. I could easily sell on reverb and sold about a kit a month for a brief time. Never had those type of sales on eBay.

eBay didn’t patrol or moderate their listings. You’re in the drum set category, here’s a Ludwig lug. Just made it more difficult to get the drive by viewings.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
eBay kind of stopped being a bidding site. They pushed the small sellers with the oddball stuff out and now it's just stores and companies selling there new goods. It's actually hard to find items up for bid there anymore. The fun of eBay is sort of gone now, and bidding on something and getting a deal is a thing of the past. I think people got turned off to this new format and have turned away from eBay. You can go to a million sites just to buy stuff, so eBay is just another of those now.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Ebay turned a blind eye to shill bids. I refuse to bid there now. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME, someone bids up in minimum bid increments and then retracts. And ebay flat out doesn't care because SHILL BIDS INCREASE THEIR FEES

Reaction score
Reverb is now no different then eBay, only doing a much better job at it.

But as soon as Etsy thinks its time for a new (ad)venture Reverb will be let go too.

1638452867983.png

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ebay fees have turned away the causal seller. After checkout fees are added, you lose about 12% of your sale to Ebay compared to about 8% to Reverb.

When I list on both sites, I price higher on Ebay to account for the fee structure.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
eBay has tons more exposure for items, even musical instruments. I wish I could sell on Reverb; my stuff always ends up selling on eBay first.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got an email yesterday from Reverb and it looks like if you sell more than $600 they will 1099 you and you will have to provide a tax ID number. Looks like our government is going after everything they can get

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So here's my take. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With ebay you pay fees to list. When it sells you get the net return. You invest in your listings waiting for the sale.
With Reverb you list for free but pay selling fees. Nothing happens financially until the item sells.

To me I would never list the same item on both sights. If you list it on ebay you pay to list. If you have it listed on Reverb you pay after the sale. If you listed on ebay you've already paid but if it sells on Reverb you pay again.

Am I missing something?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
That's all of eBay, including new lawn mower sales, antique watches, machine tools, cars, electronic, scams, and every other thing they do.

I would bet the MI side is still bigger, but by more like 10x, not 10000x

T_Weaves

Reaction score
Selling on Reverb was OK until 1) They started collecting state tax and 2) When they announced that their business was doing great and to reward our users we're going to increase the fees! smh

Over the last few months, I've made a conscious effort to downsize my gear to reasonable level ( 2 kits with full hardware/cymbals and 3 snares ). As much as I liked flipping and trying new/different stuff it's just not worth it anymore. I'll see a kit I like at a decent price but when you add state tax and whatever they're charging for shipping it ends up being $400 higher. I'm just going to enjoy the stuff I have now.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Got an email yesterday from Reverb and it looks like if you sell more than $600 they will 1099 you and you will have to provide a tax ID number. Looks like our government is going after everything they can get
Nope - the government has changed anything - but with Ebay and Reverb handled more and more of the payment services directly and having to collect sales tax, they have made themselves a party to the sale. In other words, I'm not selling you a comic book. I'm allowing Ebay to sell you a comic book for which they reimburse me. It's a consignment sale - they don't call it that. But with them doing the money transfer, handling the buyer's protection, etc... that's what it is.

And as such, if I sell 100 ten dollar comic books to 100 different people - I'm not collecting money from 100 people, Ebay/Reveb is. And they are over the course of the year, paying me $1000 dollars - and that means they have to send me a 1099.

But that would've always been the case - the government part hasn't change.

It's Ebay/Reverb and the way they are in the middle of the money exchange that has changed. This may not be change you like - but it has zip to do with the government. Nothing's changed there.

It's just the price that has come from not having to deal money orders, and waiting for checks to clear, and having the convenience of being able to accept credit card payments from anyone in the world without the burden of a large sign up fee and a minimum monthly transaction requirement.

Personally I find it all a perfectly fine trade-off.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb was amazing to me until recently when I was told I have to file taxes as a seller because I sold over a measly 1k.
I looked at the form, then closed the browser… Completely lost interest in going that route anymore because of it, which is sad because it’s very user friendly and has been great to me. But, why wouldn’t NJ find a way to take more money via taxes.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
So here's my take. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With ebay you pay fees to list. When it sells you get the net return. You invest in your listings waiting for the sale.
With Reverb you list for free but pay selling fees. Nothing happens financially until the item sells.

To me I would never list the same item on both sights. If you list it on ebay you pay to list. If you have it listed on Reverb you pay after the sale. If you listed on ebay you've already paid but if it sells on Reverb you pay again.

Am I missing something?
Only correction - with Ebay - the upfront fee is called the insertion fee and for most items is only 35¢. Only if the items sells does Ebay collect their Final Sales Fee (usually 9%)

So there's really not much difference between the two - and listing something on both would only cost an extra 35¢ - if the item sold on Revrb before selling on Ebay.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I stopped selling on eBay when somebody bought a cymbal played it for 30 days then returned it after his gig. eBay even gave him the shipping cost back out of my pocket. All because someone had buyers remorse .