header.nohb.html

When did you start playing?

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1973, at 10 years old. My mom bought an old stencil Del Ray kit from the High school band teacher for $5; I was the last of six kids and my older sisters were super-musical, so the band director was investing in the farm system, so to speak. Still have the Del Rays, but the only action they get is dressed up as a drum-stack Christmas tree in December.

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
1969, age 16 Still own my first kit. Orphan Slingerlands 12/14/16 with Ludwig Downbeat snare

IMG_0869.JPG

landofahhs

Reaction score
1962 at the age of 11 on a rubber drum pad. Got my first snare (MIJ) in 1963. Got my one and only drum set in 1965 (Ludwig Hollywood in Champagne Sparkle).

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I got to play a drum in a kindergarten thing and got a toy marching drum 1951, I was five but could fake a little marching beat,
When the head broke in time I didn't play again til 1961 when I got a 4x14 Downbeat snare and an 18"Zildian cymbal. I added a Gretsch bass drum and snare ( used as a tom) and gigged in '63.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I was used to seeing my dad drive mam to gigs ( local working men's clubs) she just sang on weekends backed by club organist and drummer- which was common in the 70s ( I was dropped off at the weekend at gran and grandpas, - great cos I could stay up late and enjoy treats!!) My mother got me drum lessons from a local teacher- he was scotch looked bit like billy Connolly lol. 3 years just doing basics really co- ordination and all round snare stuff etc. then I got a beat up VERY vintage bass snare ( calf skins) and hi- hat kit, I wish I still had the snare I don't know now what it was. I picked up a lot more by myself later though. I was 12 when I started. Sorry to be long winded.

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started in the school band in 1989 at 11 years old and received a used red Vistalite the next year. My younger cousin has the Vistas currently and gigs them on occasion. I started gigging in 1993 at 15 years old and have played for a living a few times since then, in between what my parents would call "real" jobs.

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
My freshman year of college, about 1983 is when I started playing. I was 18 - 19 years old.

I just bought an old used Apollo 5-piece and started tapping along to records. Never had a lesson. Six months later I was already in a band playing on stage. I sucked. :)

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Began with tapping on a box (I believe with pencils) with a big clear section that acted like a cheap drum head..... while I listened to the "Meet the Beatles album (1964?) . Begged my dad for drums... ended up taking lessons with a good friend of his... Began with the Buddy Rich book of snare drum rudiments..... finally got to the point where I realized I was playing Revel's Bolero... and then never read sheet music again..

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
1971,late Bloomer,20 yrs old,sang until then,still sing now as well.
No name kit for $50!
No lessons,just mileage!

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Started playing drums first year at high school in 1969. I was 12 years old. The only drums I played were drum corps at school. At home it was using my beloved 5A sticks on a pad made by my Dad. He said if I stuck it out and did the book, some drums would follow. So I did and in form two I got my first actual drums at home in 1970.