header.nohb.html

When in doubt, leave it out! Best minimal fills?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truly legendary Gene Chrisman. If he'd only ever recorded this song, he'd be a legend. But he also played on a couple of little Elvis hits called "Suspicious Minds" "Kentucky Rain" and "In The Ghetto." But his playing on "Son of a Preacher Man" is a masterclass.
That's him playing a relentless pocket on Herbie Mann's Memphis Underground . If I remember correctly, a Rogers COB dynasonic

love the way Keef Hartley sets up the first guitar solo here

Last edited:

storsav

Reaction score
Love the third fill at the end of "No Time This Time" by The Police. It's at 2:58. Considering the chaos of the song and the preceding triplet monster fill before it, I just love this simple fill which is pretty hard to do in the heat of the moment.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
"When in doubt. Leave it out"

Maybe... Oftentimes yes. But... it all depends... on the music and the intention of the production/presentation.

Also when in doubt - could mean not having found the right thing yet. And finding the "right" thing usually means trying a few "wrong" things. Always playing it safe - always going for the expected, the tried and true, the sure to work.... may be just the thing... or it could amount to being boring, uninspired, rote, predictable.

There is no one algorithm... no one defined blueprint... this is why having some range of expression can be so important, because in every case...
It... all... depends...

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to link something, but Russ Kunkle does a short single stroke roll and goes right back to the hats on Runnin' On Empty at 1:15. Love it. Also, Rose Mary Butler is SOOOOO hot!!!

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John Mayer’s current drummer Aaron Sterling is really good at those hesitated drum fills that catch you off guard. He especially loves to throw them in when John starts soloing. Here’s the slow version of John‘s latest hit last train home where he does some of that.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I think of simple fills, I always think of Andy Newmark. Just tasteful drums. Always enjoyed his playing.