When Playing HH do you play on the top or the edges

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play alot of funk and R&R.
I usually play on the top for quick patterns but if something is slower I will play with the shoulder on the edgesl
Any thoughts on this.

Targalx

Reaction score
Rock = 99% edges, 1% top. Jazz = About 50/50, depending on what I'm accompanying.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Top, edge, and bell of the cymbal; tip, neck, and shaft of the stick. Use it all (depending on the sounds and dynamics of the tune).
+1^^^

As a pop/rock player, my hi-hats are played multiple times more than any other instrument in my set. I need as many sounds as I can possibly extract from them, and will use any means necessary to do so.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
rock,hard rock,pop,blues,metal,weird stuff. I play the top close to the edge with the shoulder of the stick. i like the sound i get from that. I use 2 paiste 2002 15" heavy hh bottoms.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Both! Depends what you need for the song you are playing. For me I'd say 50/50.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Top, edge, open closed, bell, stand...depends on the sound or effect you are looking for to aid the song. I often, on slow songs, play a ride beat or crash on the HH, using the pedal to play the notes. Just do what you need to do if you can play it.

Whitten

Reaction score
Top and edge, and often in the same bar of a groove. It's all about variation and dynamics.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When keeping time it’s usual shoulder of the stick on the edge, rolls & little finesse-y patterns are usually played with the tips of the sticks on top.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That depends upon what sounds the music needs.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Top, edges and anything else that give me a sound that I want. Open, closed, half open, maybe there is a jingle on top.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A combination and much more as many have said as well. Whatever it takes to play what sounds you hear in your head... that's the fun of it all.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Playing Classic Country, I use the top most of the time. There are times I'll go to the edge for special effects and soft rolls on endings. It's all about the feel of the song at the time.

sherm

Latest posts