When should I change my bass batter head?

MrYikes

Reaction score
My bass batter head is a "soundmaster". I have no idea how old it is, nor do I know how good/bad it sounds or if a new head would change the sound. Any input?

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
do you - LIKE - the way it sounds, and does it keep up with the rest of the kit volume-wise?

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can play along with your favorite recordings and the sound of your drum fits well then there is no need to change.

prplx

Reaction score
According to most drum head company rep, or endorsed artist that get them for free, you should change heads every 6 weeks max. According to most drummers on a budget, you should change them every 10 years or when there is a hole in them. The truth is somewhere in between methink.

MrYikes

Reaction score
But see, if I change the head, I'll lose all that "sound patina" that everyone tries to get. Besides, I would have no idea what head to get to replace it.

ThomasL

Reaction score
I once bought a kit that came with coated Soundmaster heads. They were really thin and had a plastic(!) flesh hoop, but sounded half decent tuned up high (bop tuning).

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's smooth white: Smooth white Ambassador or Aquarian Force II gloss white
If it's coated white, coated ambassador or coated powerstroke3

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I change them according to what web site I'm reading at the time. Man that period sucked. Now I just live with it because 26" heads ain't cheap.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I change them when I break them— which I never do— or when I get sick of the sound, or get excited about getting a different sound, or need a different sound for some kind of musical reason. It has to be pretty dire, because I hate changing heads.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I change them when I break them— which I never do— or when I get sick of the sound, or get excited about getting a different sound, or need a different sound for some kind of musical reason. It has to be pretty dire, because I hate changing heads.
...and I hate the paying for a new one part about changing heads even more. So I say: when you wear through it with your beater. Plus, it sounds like you've got a "rare bird" there. Enjoy the unique experience for as long as you can, 'cause you'll not likely find any more of the treasured Soundmaster heads!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But see, if I change the head, I'll lose all that "sound patina" that everyone tries to get. Besides, I would have no idea what head to get to replace it.
remo coated powerstroke or evans emad

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
My bass batter head is a "soundmaster". I have no idea how old it is, nor do I know how good/bad it sounds or if a new head would change the sound. Any input?
If you do not know how good or bad it sounds, then I'd recommend NOT changing. This goes for all music equipment: drums, heads, cymbals, guitars, amps, etc. If you can't tell if it sounds good or bad than it creates two issues:
1) You will probably not replace it with what you will end up wanting, so wasting money. This forum is full of it :)
2) Probably better to spend more time playing & practicing until you do recognize what sounds good or bad.

Latest posts