When Steve Maxwell Says It’s the Best Gretsch He’s Ever Played…

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Three ply era, four piece. That snare caught my attention first. It sounds fantastic! And then I read what Steve thought about this kit.

Nice, Full description on their reverb ad.

EDIT: Bummer Steve pulled the video. That snare had a nice sound. I’ve never known him to do that just because a piece has sold.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
After 23 years. aka 3PlyGuy
SpongeBob exonerated :D

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No doubt that Steve Maxwell sells the best of the best. But those prices! Breathtaking. But I'm not in the economic class that he caters to. Apparently wallets magically fly open for his gear. More power to him. I'd do exactly the same thing if I could.

GeeDeeEmm

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had both a 12 and a 14 floor in that finish - 3 ply. Found them both on ebay as orphans years ago.

While it's far easier to find the larger sizes in 3ply, I'm not so sure the "jazz" sizes are any more rare then they are in the 6ply drums.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had at one time a 3 ply 18" BD. I sold it to a guy who brokered it to Japan. It really was a magical drum, no doubt.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
They are.
I'm not so sure the "jazz" sizes are any more rare then they are in the 6ply drums.
I would say (and defer to SpongeBob- remember his ex-3 ply 20/12/14 is still over in the marketplace)
I would say the 20/12/14 /snare in 3 ply is pretty equal in rarity to----the later- mid 60s 18/12/14 in 6 ply.
Pretty dam n close. Rare. (Or SpongeBob owned them all ; )

"20" in the mid late fifties like 18" in the mid sixties.."

Add on top of that that little "trick" point... > the 1st gen Die Cast-----on the (above) Maxwell set's snare.
that's a trickster-cool hoop (I never saw one) but they show up on that 55-ish snare era ..
pretty unique and May have a sound component)

Last edited:

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are.

I would say (and defer to SpongeBob- remember his ex-3 ply 20/12/14 is still over in the marketplace)
I would say the 20/12/14 /snare in 3 ply is pretty equal in rarity to----the later- mid 60s 18/12/14 in 6 ply.
Pretty dam n close. Rare. (Or SpongeBob owned them all ; )
I totally agree. Makes them rare, but not necessarily hens teeth as implied.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
(settle on) Pigeon's teeth , maybe?
every year (like everything else) they disappear..to somewhere..
Best thing about Gretsch is you can still buy about everything new (not that 1st Gen Die cast tho (and a very slim couple other things.)

Steve may have been getting a bit over-sentimental there; (considering) he's had shell banks in front of his self of Broadkaster new (!
Must be a little extra/ love ? in that old 50s
I love US Gretsch snares (surrendered to) either way.
With All Dry warts and the 'vinnie' Fight.
Love : ) Over time, means takes commitment ! (lol

Last edited:

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Steve is a great guy and one of the few ,rare honest ones left in this business. He attracts the players that don't mind spending good money on HIS honesty and integrity. They know they are getting the real deal, unmolested and thoroughly checked over, AND if there are any issues Steve will have disclosed that upfront. I don't believe he sells to "the rich" only, he sells to all of us that don't want to be ripped off like so many of us have been by the bottom feeders out there looking for the fast buck......That Gretsch kit is beautiful. Is it worth the money?.....Its up to you.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a Camco set from Steve, at what I thought was a fair price.

Question: how many 3-ply kits of THAT kind, in THAT condition, are around? And don't some kits from DW, Sonor, etc., get up into that range?
I have no dog in this race, but I don't think it's out of line when you add up sizes/condition/sound.

Dan

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I don’t know, I’ve watched a lot of Steve’s clips and read a lot of his listings. I’ve heard him say things like, “Here's a great sounding Gretsch snare that doesn’t sound boxy like some do.” Or he’ll grade Gretsches according to players’ kit versus collectors’, but he’s not a guy to use too many superlatives and he doesn’t gush. He just presents his merchandise like he’s confident it will sell itself.

With the piles of reviews he’s done over the years, it would be easy enough for people to call him out if he were saying that kind of thing all the time. So to hear a guy with that much experience behind that many Gretsch kits through the years say something like “this one’s the best”, that got my attention. Right after the snare got my attention!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw and played these drums today. And Steve played them as well. Actually, he played them better than me. :) They are very special. The snare drum especially. Old Gretsch snares tend sound boxy but this one is open and articulate. I own five vintage Gretsch kits and this one is very special.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Special for sure. I've played a lot of drums nothing else feels quite like these from the drivers seat. 3 ply w calfskin.....god of jazz drums. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I'm not a drummer worthy of playing these and the style they were intended so I let them go. I would've never sold for light money Steve is asking lol
3564.jpg
3565.jpg
3565.jpg
3566.jpg
3567.jpg
3569.jpg
3571.jpg
3573.jpg
3574.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts