When Steve Maxwell Says It’s the Best Gretsch He’s Ever Played…

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
With regards to Maxwell's prices, he tends to have some of the best examples of very hard-to-find kits, so they're worth whatever the market will bear, and his market tends to be people like him: middle-aged and affluent.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have purchased quite a few kits and such from the man. He’s an outstanding resource for quality vintage drums and cymbals. He has always dealt equitably with me. I’ve only had one deal canceled in all the years we’ve been doing business ... and that was a new custom build Craviotto ... and it wasn’t his doings.
He’s the absolute best at what he does.

What It Is

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Steve and his family. Fortunate that his Illinois shop is relatively close by . . .or maybe not, that proximity can be dangerous at times! He knows his market and I've had nothing but positive experiences with him.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Steve and his family. Fortunate that his Illinois shop is relatively close by . . .or maybe not, that proximity can be dangerous at times! He knows his market and I've had nothing but positive experiences with him.
Does Steve actually work at a store? I figured he just made videos.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I,d say he is working very hard on demos. He knows how to tune them properly to get the most out of the drum and shows their range. He has very fast hands and plays like the great drummers from the era the drums were made. Its a win/win situation. Can you imagine what the demo would sound like if some stiff wristed, all arms,2b,stick playing, rock clown sat down and played INDAGODADAVIDA on that kit?:santa:

Reactions: JDA

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
One of Steve’s tuning philosophies is to tension the resonant head lower than the batter heads for non-mic’d applications. I’ve been using this idea for quite a while now. It seems to make the drum sing more and project into the audience more.

I’ve met him in the Chicagoland store twice and briefly talked with him. At the Chicago show, he came up as I was playing on the new Dynasonic snare, and made a favorable comment on my rolls before he played after me.

He struck me as being exactly as he seems on the videos.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow Steve!!..been woodshedding I see? Well done. IMO, the Camco kit was much warmer sounding. Beautiful tone that hung on. Very nice voice. DW sounded a little choked to me and slightly tuned higher than i would have. I think the aging factor absolutely made the difference here. Only the snare drums were close in tone, but the toms and bass drum were quite different....Camco wins by a long shot.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
A: It’s not hard to spend $4k on a new drum kit. I don’t think I could ever do it, but I see it done here all the time. And they don’t make these anymore (though I hear the Brooklyns DO get close). Plus that old Sky Blue that you only see on 3-plies that gets that gunmetal darkening going on might be the sharpest-looking wrap of all time.

B: Somebody already pulled the trigger.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have never heard anything but praise for Steve Maxwell. Sure there are great old kits out there, but they are needles in the haystack. If someone has an old kit and wants top dollar for it they are probably going to google the good vintage drum dealers. Steve is going to be the go to person that most people will will sell to. You can search for years and maybe find a great old kit for less or you can buy from Steve who is going to have a great selection to choose from.

jb78

Reaction score
Years ago, when Steve had the shop on Michigan Ave in Chicago, I used to go in there with some frequency. They would let me take home cymbals to try for a week or so to make sure I liked them. I wasn’t some big dollar collector; at the time I was in my twenties and trying to make my band my primary thing ... but they treated me like I was a top customer. Steve’s eye/ear for vintage gear is amazing and if he says this kit is special, it’s something to check out! High credibility and great business practices.

Latest posts