When The Levee Breaks (and songs that might run too long)

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(This is a kind-of "step-sister" to the Living Loving Maid topic from a few days back.)

The Levee song trudges. I change radio stations on this Led Zep song. -Hate to admit it- Maybe it's the harmonica?

I recall the 45 record of "American Pie". It was continued on the flip side. Sometimes songs are just a tad long but
would be better if shorter.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That song isn't too long... It's just been worn out over almost 50 years. I change the radio station for all Led Zeppelin. Really, I just turn the radio off and wonder why I keep giving it a chance.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Here's a solution: You can put music on your mobile phone -- lots of it -- and only include your favorites. Then you can play that music through both your car or any kind of wireless headphone/in-ear device.

Not only is the phone commercial-free, but you can also display weather forecasts and real-time traffic data on the phone's screen.

One song I have on my phone is Dopesmoker by Sleep. It's 1 hour, three minutes and 35 seconds. Makes The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald seem short.

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Oh man, I love that song. I love the way it just keeps going and the drum sound is perfect. American Pie I can agree with you on that one. Another song I love but is too long is “I dream a highway” by Gillian Welch...after 10 minutes I am done and the song has another 5 minutes or so left.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
That song isn't too long... It's just been worn out over almost 50 years. I change the radio station for all Led Zeppelin. Really, I just turn the radio off and wonder why I keep giving it a chance.
This is why I quit listening to most radio stations. They have their play lists and run songs into the ground. The only Led Zeppelin song I refuse to listen to now is "Stairway To Heaven". I got waaay too much of it when it first came out.

Drm1979

Reaction score
If a song is over 6 minutes long for me then it definitely needs to have some good changes in it. If just keeps repeating I'm changing over to something else.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the day didn't music producers want songs around three minutes long give or take? Maybe that was considered the sweet spot for listeners and making money. I get your point Pickinator but man I love "When the Levee Breaks".
Coy

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
FREE BIRD!! that song would have been better if it had only been 23 hours long instead of 24 (Oh wait it only feels that it's that long)

For me personally it depends on my mood there's times that Kashmir for instance comes on the radio and I leave and sorta listen, other times I'll turn it off pretty quickly and not because I don't like the song, just not in the mood for it at that moment.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the day didn't music producers want songs around three minutes long give or take? Maybe that was considered the sweet spot for listeners and making money. I get your point Pickinator but man I love "When the Levee Breaks".
Coy
Yes and radio wouldn't play it if over the "magical" time limit

Old Dog

Reaction score
On the other side of this coin, I REALLY dig Baker St! A bit longer, and seems to fit. :thumbup:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Yes and radio wouldn't play it if over the "magical" time limit
Exactly. That's why The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was a No. 1 hit in 1976 (5.57 minutes long)

Also, Bohemiam Rhapsody peaked at No. 1 in 1975 (six minutes) .

Previously, Hey Jude was a radio smash in 1968 (seven minutes, 11 seconds).