When The Levee Breaks (and songs that might run too long)

m_anderson

Reaction score
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ("baby, honey, don't you know this song sucks for a really long time...")

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I enjoyed Kashmir the first 2,000 times I heard it on the radio. . .:scratch:
The interesing thing with Kashmir is that you get 500 "listening credits" for each ONE time you hear it...

So, doing the math, sitting though it four times is the equivent of listening to any normal length song 2000 times....

Old Dog

Reaction score
The interesing thing with Kashmir is that you get 500 "listening credits" for each ONE time you hear it...

So, doing the math, sitting though it four times is the equivent of listening to any normal length song 2000 times....
When I first started DJ'ing in strip clubs, I had an "entertainer" that loved Kashmir. HAD TO HEAR IT, every night she worked. THAT DID NOT HELP MY HATRED FOR THE SONG! :shock: :shock:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hotel California. Two thumbs down.
I can still listen to Hotel California with glee but I was over a friends house last week or so, she is a beginning drummer so I put Kashmir on the computer so that I could show her Bonham’s great foot work durning the bridge, “doom doom bat doom doom” and I cringed when it came on. I just can’t listen to that anymore.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can still listen to Hotel California with glee but I was over a friends house last week or so, she is a beginning drummer so I put Kashmir on the computer so that I could show her Bonham’s great foot work durning the bridge, “doom doom bat doom doom” and I cringed when it came on. I just can’t listen to that anymore.
The interesting thing is while I too "cringe" at the later Zep stuff like Kashmir, I can still listen to most of 1&2 with a smile on my face...

And it's not because of the length of the songs.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
It occurred to to me that “songs that run too long” is anything that Zappa did. I don’t know how people listen to that rot let alone incessantly nag other people to suffer through it.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Natch You're leaving out this very early album but could agree with the later ones

^ that could have been The Human Beinz ; )

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A personal anecdote, I played on and wrote part of an eleven minute (11:11) epic song.

We played it live as our closer and was fun to play until it no longer wasn't...usually after a long show. I produced half of the album and our singer/guitarist produced the other half including this song. I think I missed the chance when I mentioned I wanted to fade it out and cut it down to 6 minutes.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pink Floyd would go from the beginning to the end of a side . Most of the time you were too wazzooed to do anything about it .

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald . Frisbee'd out of apartment windows everywhere .

Jethro Tull and King Crimson could get pretty long winded and Emerson Lake and Palmer ? .... ah the danger of piano lessons , a little knowledge in the wrong hands ...

Last edited:

Latest posts