When were the first Pacific CX drums made?

Brad Rickard

Reaction score
Today I was fortunate enough to purchase a used 5-piece “Pacific” (not “PDP”) Drums CX kit in Blue Onyx. It’s crazy, it’s like these things just stepped out of a time machine: they are basically in brand-new shape; according to the seller they were originally bought by a doctor who never had time to play them, then consigned for sale in the seller’s shop which happened to close down back in 2013. A couple of the batter heads still have the dot sticker in the middle of the head that says “All-Maple Shells”. I’ve loved and wanted some of these particular drums for years; a friend had a set just like it years ago and they’ve stood out in my memory since. My question is, how old are they? It seems to me like these were the first Pacific’s [correction: not the first; the Pacific L-Series predates these] that DW released back in 2000 (or was it 1999?), and searching around on the web I found a “PDP” Drums catalog pdf that showed the CX blue onyx color was still being made in 2005, but that color had ceased production by the 2007 catalog (though they introduced the very rad “Arctic Blue Oyster” CXR set that I would also love to get my hands on someday). However, the kicker is that my kick drum’s resonant head has the “Pacific” logo, not the “PDP” logo, which according to a November 2002 Modern Drummer, was around by that time with the release of the FS birch series. But I just don’t know how old these really are. With the “Pacific” logo head, was my kit made during those initial years of 1999 to 2001 ???

Last edited:

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the very first Pacific L Series from 2000 (got it on a closeout sale, may have been made in 1999) which was all maple, lacquer, supposedly the same shell layup as the DW Workshop series. They were made in Taiwan. It was branded as Pacific, not PDP. It bacame the LX series when manufacturing was moved to Mexico. I currently own a CX 11x14 tom, not sure when it was made but it was made in Mexico. Also all maple but never sounded quite as rich as the L Series of the same size.

Brad Rickard

Reaction score
Thanks for the added info! I didn’t realize the L series was released first - good to know!

DSMDrum

Reaction score
I have a Pacific CX Maple in the Blue Onyx made in Mexico purchased mid-2003 (picture and invoice).

I remember seeing the white onyx kit and catalog in the store in early 2003. Other than that, I can't date what you have.

Delmar (drum wrap manufacturer) still makes this wrap (click Sicobloc > VF2100 half way down): https//www.delmarproducts.com/catalog/

Attachments

Brad Rickard

Reaction score
I have a Pacific CX Maple in the Blue Onyx made in Mexico purchased mid-2003 (picture and invoice).

I remember seeing the white onyx kit and catalog in the store in early 2003. Other than that, I can't date what you have.

Delmar (drum wrap manufacturer) still makes this wrap (click Sicobloc > VF2100 half way down): https//www.delmarproducts.com/catalog/
Thanks! I had already reached out to a place called Precision Drum

Thanks! I had already reached out to Precision Drum Company who said they could still get the wrap, but your source is probably who they’re getting it from. I went to Delmar’s site and filled out a web form, so I hope to hear back soon. Considering buying an X7 16” tom, and putting the blue onyx on it, HOWEVER, I watched this YouTube video last night about how to make your smaller toms sound bigger (
), so I may not need the 16”. The person in the video said the only drawback is that they don’t project as much as bigger toms, but in my case (on a church stage with no drum shield) this will actually be a plus...

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

So 'Blue Onyx' is Sky Blue Pearl?

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My blue onyx PDP tom is almost a perfect match for my brand new Ludwig SBP which is nearly a perfect match for what Precision sells aa Vintage Sky Blue Pearl. Close enough for rock and roll as the saying goes. I can post pics of all three in a couple of days.

Brad Rickard

Reaction score
I believe so. Seems drum manufacturers have been all over the place with their use of the words “Onyx” and “Pearl”. For instance, what Pacific calls “Black Onyx” I think is actually a “marine pearl”, because it has none of the larger diagonal lines in it that occur every so often in the pattern of the blue or white “Onyx”. Then there’s the less common “diamond pearl” on some older drums which is basically a pattern that is covered completely by the same large diagonal lines. Or at least this is my understanding. The older drums that are “Blue Sky Pearl”, I think those are the same color as the “Blue Onyx”. So I guess the term “pearl” without the words “marine” or “diamond” before it might be synonymous with “onyx”?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Brad, and welcome to the wonderful world of Mexican Made Pacific drums. I'm a dedicated fan of these drums and have owned my White Onyx kit since the first months of sale in 2000. Until the last year or so, I've been gigging my set regularly for nineteen years now without a single fault or failure. I've owned this kit for longer than any other kit I've owned, having "graduated" from Yamaha Recording Customs and Maple Customs and a long string of Ludwig Classics, Saturns, yadda, yadda. The only "problem" I've experienced with this kit is the typical yellowing of the White Onyx wrap, but the change is really mild at this point.

The best way to approximately date your CX kit is by the style of the tom suspension mounts. From 2000-2004, Pacific used mounts that resembled the typical RIMS-style mount, like this:

Kits thereafter used the DW-like STM mounts, like this:

FYI, all of the drums made in the Encenada, Mexico plant were made from American Hard Rock Maple shells. Other shell compositions (birch, poplar, etc.) were manufactured in Asia. (If one of our readers owns an FS (birch) kit whose badge says Made in Mexico, please let us know.)

Be aware, too, that at some time in its history, Pacific manufactured in Asia a kit designated as a "CX" model, but these did not have the standard wrap finish. Instead, they were finished in "lacquer" just as the Mexican-made LX/LXE kits.

For a good overall history of the company in its early years please see:

GeeDeeEmm

Brad Rickard

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Brad, and welcome to the wonderful world of Mexican Made Pacific drums. I'm a dedicated fan of these drums and have owned my White Onyx kit since the first months of sale in 2000. Until the last year or so, I've been gigging my set regularly for nineteen years now without a single fault or failure. I've owned this kit for longer than any other kit I've owned, having "graduated" from Yamaha Recording Customs and Maple Customs and a long string of Ludwig Classics, Saturns, yadda, yadda. The only "problem" I've experienced with this kit is the typical yellowing of the White Onyx wrap, but the change is really mild at this point.

The best way to approximately date your CX kit is by the style of the tom suspension mounts. From 2000-2004, Pacific used mounts that resembled the typical RIMS-style mount, like this:

FYI, all of the drums made in the Encenada, Mexico plant were made from American Hard Rock Maple shells. Other shell compositions (birch, poplar, etc.) were manufactured in Asia. (If one of our readers owns an FS (birch) kit whose badge says Made in Mexico, please let us know.)

Be aware, too, that at some time in its history, Pacific manufactured in Asia a kit designated as a "CX" model, but these did not have the standard wrap finish. Instead, they were finished in "lacquer" just as the Mexican-made LX/LXE kits.

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks GeeDeeEmm. The only pause I have with what you’re saying is that while mine has the STM mounts, which would seem to indicate the kit is newer than 2004, the bass drum logo head has the old logo “Pacific” and not the newer “PDP” logo. Were they mixing in their old logo resonant kick drum heads after the logo changed?

Brad Rickard

Reaction score

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks GeeDeeEmm. The only pause I have with what you’re saying is that while mine has the STM mounts, which would seem to indicate the kit is newer than 2004, the bass drum logo head has the old logo “Pacific” and not the newer “PDP” logo. Were they mixing in their old logo after the logo changed?
Thanks GeeDeeEmm. The only pause I have with what you’re saying is that while mine has the STM mounts, which would seem to indicate the kit is newer than 2004, the bass drum logo head has the old logo “Pacific” and not the newer “PDP” logo. Were they mixing in their old logo resonant kick drum heads after the logo changed?
Ah, GeeDeeEmm, I think you may have solved it. When I went to buy these, there was another kit sitting there, a black kit, which I think was a cheaper EZ series. If memory serves, I think those EZ kits came with a “Pacific” kick drum logo head, and I’ll bet the 2 heads got switched out at some point. I think the case may have just been solved: a manufacture date sometime between 2005-2007. Thanks much GeeDeeEmm, and for the info all the other commenters contributed as well!

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have an early pacific kit. I’m a builder so I went to redo the edges. Freaking perfect. No need to change anything. These drum are one of the super cheap great drums if u can find them. Mine are birch tobacco burst with satin finish. Enjoy them!

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Top - 2019 Ludwig Sky Blue Pearl. Slightly lighter than the others but not that far apart.

Middle - Rewraped a couple of months ago by Precision in what they call "Vintage Sky Blue Pearl".

Bottom - Pacific CX Blue Onyx. This drum originally came with an STM mount. Pretty much a dead ringer for the wrap above.
20190830_134643.jpg

Latest posts