When you find a good Dream...

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've probably owned between 15-20 Dream cymbals, all from the Bliss and Vintage Bliss series. A few have been nice, one I wish I hadn't sold because it was above the rest. These days I don't get too excited about them because for me they have been more of a miss than a hit. Recently I had a 19" crash ride that was decent but not a keeper for my setup, so I sold it here on the forum.

Then last week I got a local FB deal on a 20" Bliss and an old A. The old A is already sold and shipped to someone else, but man this Bliss is sweet! It sounds very similar to a thin K I have, which is almost shameful for how much I spent on the K versus how much this Bliss was.

For those who play these cymbals, have you had to wade through a lot of mediocre ones like I have?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've gone through this with the Bliss and vintage Bliss lines. Currently down to just one 18" V.Bliss crash/ride that works so well as a right side ride in my gigging setup. I had a few years ago that I should have kept. I have a new 20 Bliss that I need to sell (with bag) as it doesn't get played at all.

As for other cymbal brands, I've been through at least 20+ K Cons to get it down to the 5-6 I still have. Same with the 21" K Special dry rides - the original ones - at least 6 of them and down to one. As for vintage A's, a ton of HH's and 20/22 rides......it's just the nature of the beast.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. I sold a 24 flat, 20 and 16 bliss, 20 and 19 vintage. Oh and a set of 12 hats.

Kept a 22, 17, 12, 10 splash and two 18 bliss; along with 13, 14 and 15 hats. On the vintage side I kept a 22, 18 and a 17.

Not a fan of the gong like crash some of them had in spades.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went through a handful of 20 and 22 Bliss about 15 years ago. They were all good to very good, one 22 was spectacular. At the time I had two 22’s, one around 2350 g, and one at 2525 g. A buddy wanted to buy one so I told him he could choose. Of course he chose the spectacular one. Argh!

If anyone comes across an old 22 Bliss with 2525 written under the bell, please let me know.

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Went through two 24's and four 22's and sold them all. Too flat, dark, and hollow sounding. I'm done.

Have had much better luck with the Contacts.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through quite a few Bliss. I picked up a few from the online seller that most everybody dealt with. Had some very nice ones.
I have since sold all of them.
They had a tough time sitting within my other setups.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've only bought Contacts; nearly all have been good, some have been awesome

itsjjp

Reaction score
I've had about the same quantity, and they're definitely hit or miss. I have mostly had Bliss, a few Contacts and a couple of Energy. I wish they'd make a heavier version of Bliss and Vintage Bliss. For both rides and hi hats. Not heavies, just maybe 10-20% heavier. The added material would make for better bells and more stick while maintaining some wash and crashability. My 2 cents.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is, when they get it right they get it REALLY right. If I could find some hats like this I’d be very happy.

Sprice

Reaction score
They had a tough time sitting within my other setups.
Unfortunately I think you're spot on. I've had some I loved on their own but they never played well with others. If I had the disposable income I wouldn't be opposed to an all bliss/vintage bliss set up, but I've sold all of mine. Based on the quality and price if I was starting out that's where I'd look.