Where do you get your Samples from?

spazapproved

Reaction score
So I'm new to the world of samples and triggers.
I just got myself a Roland SPD-SX for a new band I am in.
I'm looking for just some basic sound samples and clips but there are so many different websites and links and I follow some to find nothing.. and I'm not looking to start my own solo band project just simple things like: Tambourine loops, shakers, bass drops, different sounding snares and kicks etc.

Where are most of you guys getting your samples?
Is there a good free samples webpage you recommend?

Spartan

Reaction score
I get my percussion samples mainly from Ableton. I purchased the Live suite, and the samples included are incredibly extensive. You may be able to download the free trial of Ableton or another DAW and save some .wav files for use in your SPD-SX. I've also found a lot of high quality free samples on Freesound.org.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
looperman.com and freesounds.com but on free sounds especially read what the different codes mean about use and liscencing. I also downloaded Audacity so i cut up and edit these samples....oh and from the alesis sample pad site there were two free downloads. One had loops and some percussion...another was an adapter so you can change the sample typle to a wav which is what the sample pad needs. Not sure what the SX uses. Good luck and have fun (I think we should start our own library of sounds here)

NickCesarz

Reaction score
Splice is a gigantic resource for samples and loops! Definitely recommend checking it out. It's not free (I think $7.99 a month), but I use it all the time.

Crush

Reaction score
THAT SOUND

www.iwantthatsound.com

My SPDSX is loaded with the Organic, Future, Sterloid, DK, and Mabury packs. It does help that I'm a huge fan of these players. The signature sounds from the specific guys are really great for capturing an element of the feel that they have individually, if I've got an idea for a specific vibe that seems close to them. Organic is full of fantastic stomp and clap kind of ambient stuff, and Future has some of the most interesting electronic sounds I've heard. Also worth noting, in addition to straight samples, nearly every pack includes a variety of loops, as well as templates for most of the major DAWs and formats. Very helpful to quickly pull up a preset in Logic or Ableton rather than having to build it out myself.

I've no affiliation with the company, just a big fan. Started with Organic and I've been building on it from there. Combined with the built-in effects on the SPDSX, you can quickly build some really interesting stuff in your library. Not necessarily cheap, but they've got some really, really killer sounds. Highly recommended.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
looperman.com and freesounds.com but on free sounds especially read what the different codes mean about use and liscencing. I also downloaded Audacity so i cut up and edit these samples....oh and from the alesis sample pad site there were two free downloads. One had loops and some percussion...another was an adapter so you can change the sample typle to a wav which is what the sample pad needs. Not sure what the SX uses. Good luck and have fun (I think we should start our own library of sounds here)
Do you have an Alesis since you mention the download on the Alesis site? I'm asking because I have a Samplepad 4 and I noticed those 2 downloads on the Alesis site. I'd like to know if those are extras or if they are already included in my Samplepad 4.

Latest posts