Where do you put your right side crash cymbal?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only for those drummers that use two toms on (or over) their bass drum:

Where do you put your right side crash cymbal? It seems about 50 / 50.
Some drummers put it in on the audience side of the ride cymbal and have the ride low over the floor tom. This has always made no sense to me...if you want to crash at the end of a fill, which we all do too much, if the cymbal is on the front of your set you have to move your right hand back over the set to hit the crash.
Yet it seems half the drummers I see do it this way. A few even put the crash there even if they're only using one up tom.

The other half of us put the ride a little over the second tom and put the right side crash all the way to the right.

Where do you put it?

Attachments

• crash1.jpg
    crash1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 11
  • crash2.jpg
    crash2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 11

HowardW

Reaction score
If I'm playing with a 13" on the right side of the bass, I put my crash over it and the ride low and over the floor tom. I've tried putting the ride over the 13", but it never felt right to me.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1817.jpg

Electronic kit, but when ever I use that many cymbals on an acoustic, it's roughly the same way:

OR-catalina-koko-back.jpg

- If I'm only using one cymbal, it's the ride.
- Next is the left side crash.
- Next would be the "middle" cymbal on the right (my right hand crash)
- Next comes the far right cymbal (usually a china or a big trashy crash) / far left (usually a splash or stack)

wraub

Reaction score
IMG-0466.jpg

Short answer: over the low toms-
Longer answer: I crash on them all just as Zildjian intended, just other different flavors.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the 50% of guys who put it to the left of the ride when using multiple rack toms. On a 4 piece it's too the far right and as I go more cymbals there is one on both sides of the ride.

These were pics on my phone and probably don't show how high my toms are so my ride is much higher than most and they all are cashable!

20210302_230317.jpg

20211211_195649.jpg

20220401_173545.jpg