header.nohb.html

Where do you strike the bass drum head?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 1-1/5" right of center on mine. I don't see how this could be different from the same distance above center.

That's about where my pedal lines up when clamped directly center on the hoop. Double pedals are always like this in my experience.

I use a dw XL control beater (currently) which self-aligns to the surface of the head. Great beater.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About 1-1/5" right of center on mine. I don't see how this could be different from the same distance above center.

That's about where my pedal lines up when clamped directly center on the hoop. Double pedals are always like this in my experience.

I use a dw XL control beater (currently) which self-aligns to the surface of the head. Great beater.
To the right like you have it could be the same thing, I don’t see why not. I’m experimenting with my floor Tom bass drum 16 inch and I think it does sound better when the beater strikes higher up then I’ve been having it. I’m still messing with it. Also somebody mentioned timpani players and it reminds me that they also play towards the end of the tympani, maybe that would apply to bass drums also.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

You know it probably does matter a little where you have the beater, if you have it to the right like you do because if you have a port in the front head depending on which side it might do something to the resonance. I’ve been reading a lot about the best place to put a port and settled on the right or left bottom corner. So between 4 and 5 o’clock or 7 and 8 o’clock positions, somewhere around there. So, if you have a port on the left side of your reso head, if you’re staring at it from the front, then maybe you should put the beater on the left side of the head if you’re facing the batter side head from the drum seat.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I went through a rabbit trail of trying to hit dead center on a 32". It's not the beefy spot. But way longer than normal still sounds good (but you're not getting triplets with a 12" tennis ball beater, and watch your shins)

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About an 1” off dead centre, slightly under on the 26” and slightly over on the 22”.

I don’t adjust the beater height on my pedal when I change kits, so it splits the difference between both drums.

When I only had the 26” the beater was an 1” higher to hit the dead centre on that drum.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know it probably does matter a little where you have the beater, if you have it to the right like you do because if you have a port in the front head depending on which side it might do something to the resonance. I’ve been reading a lot about the best place to put a port and settled on the right or left bottom corner. So between 4 and 5 o’clock or 7 and 8 o’clock positions, somewhere around there. So, if you have a port on the left side of your reso head, if you’re staring at it from the front, then maybe you should put the beater on the left side of the head if you’re facing the batter side head from the drum seat.
I think the result would be pretty close to the same whichever side was ported, or not enough to matter in practical terms. More air might escape the drum sooner if the port was on the side where the beater is slightly off center but it would probably be splitting hairs. A drum that's taller than it is long or vice versa probably has a greater affect on how much and how soon it resonates.

Actually for the last year + there's been no port (all port, I should say) or resonant head on my bass drum at all, and depending on the head, tuning and acoustic material in the drum, it can do almost whatever I'm looking for, which I find more versatile than a ported or un-ported resonant head (and less work to adjust).

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To the right like you have it could be the same thing, I don’t see why not. I’m experimenting with my floor Tom bass drum 16 inch and I think it does sound better when the beater strikes higher up then I’ve been having it. I’m still messing with it. Also somebody mentioned timpani players and it reminds me that they also play towards the end of the tympani, maybe that would apply to bass drums also.
It applies to all drums as far as I can tell. Play close to the edge and you get more pitch and more overtones, and tympanies sound better by the edge for that reason.

brokenstick

Reaction score
The hard felt beater flew off and the metal beater shaft went right thru the head.Top Dead Center

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I adjust the beater for feel and it hits where it hits. Fortunately just above the center on a 22" is a nice sounding spot to my bandmates

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just above center on a 22 inch. I like my shaft extended just a little bit for some more power when I need it

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
somewhere near the middle i guess
and my beater stays the same for a 20 -22 , or my 24 .... i never change it