Where does the Tama SLP line fit into their hierarchy

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a SLP Bubinga and it is a great looking and sounding snare.
Tama has so many lines. I was wondering where the SLP series fit.
I know that Starphonic is the flagship followed by Starclassic

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading their website I see SLP

fourth from the bottom..

5th from the top

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes the price point of a given instrument suggests a deceptively low or high level of quality. The SLP drums I’ve heard and played, while not very “flashy,” seem to be very well made and great sounding drums. I’ve never been drawn to higher end Tama lines for that reason — to me, the difference in cost doesn’t seem to produce a measurably better sounding, tuning, or playing drum. Sure it may look pretty, but that’s not the (whole) point of buying a drum.

I am also a guitar player and can point to Taylor guitars as an example of this. Their 100 series guitars are made just as well as their 900 series guitars (and every hundred in between). Everything from a 300-900 is all solid wood, just different species and different amounts of bling. But there’s no real reason a 300 and a 900 should be so far apart in cost.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SLP is considered lower level than the Starphonic series and are cheaper. But, they have their own thing going on. I’d say quite a few of the SLP offerings are VERY high end like the OP’s Bubinga. I’ve had a few SLP’s and the current SLP Spotted Gum is a drum on par with the best boutique drums out there for half the price or even less. Same strainer as on the Star series, solid Brass lugs etc. Models come and go and that is the whole concept; Sound Lab Project. Always trying out new things, developing new ideas. So the series is kinda difficult to put a label on; mid level, pro level or whatever. I’d say most of the drums are high end, very well built for a surprisingly reasonable price.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The name SLP (Sound Lab Project) seems to imply a bit of R&D. Maybe stuff that works there goes to higher lines with nicer finishes? Don't know, but their SLP-G Walnut I tried was great.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can only speak for the Spruce kit and matching snare, but that plays and feels pro level.