header.nohb.html

Where is all the copper plated hardware???

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Sonor made beautiful copper plated hardware in the 80's. Is there really no other company attempting this? Is there simply not enough demand? I need a copper throw for a future copper shell build but it looks like I'm already out of luck.

Do any of you have experience with plating? I'm thinking I may have to take matters into my own hands unless one of you fine blokes wants to plate a throw for me at some point.

egw

Reaction score
Well, considering how much the majority of drummers can't stand BRASS-plated hardware, I'd would think that bringing a kit with copper hardware to a gig would be a sure-fire way to get yourself beat up in the parking lot.

Especially if you had the Dejohnette-style copper stands and everything. You'd have an angry mob outside the club in no time. Torches and pitchforks and all.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Dejohnette copper stands.jpg

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nacci got it
Plus it's all or nothing for me
When you mix copper and chrome hardware it looses it's appeal IMHO
Good point Frank. Do you think it looks bad if it's all contained to just one drum though? Like a kit with chrome hardware and a copper snare with copper hardware?

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Sonor made beautiful copper plated hardware in the 80's. Is there really no other company attempting this? Is there simply not enough demand? I need a copper throw for a future copper shell build but it looks like I'm already out of luck.

Do any of you have experience with plating? I'm thinking I may have to take matters into my own hands unless one of you fine blokes wants to plate a throw for me at some point.

FWIW, before steel is chromed it is often copper plated. What the others have said about durability is the main reason why one seldom sees copper-plated hardware or copper-plated musical instrument parts, like for example, machine heads.

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw “where’s the copper” and thought of KM’s white premier kit with copper hardware (which I saw him play at Maple Leaf Garden in Oct 1976 and was apparently later sold by Zak at Sotheby’s for $12,000 to the Hard Rock Cafe?)
Personally I’d spend the money on lessons.