Where the lefties/southpaws at???

Zapruder1337

Reaction score
Im prolly gonna regret this post, oh well.....
IM A LEFTY who plays with their drum kit setup left handed. I honestly dont get why it's such a big deal? Ppl string guitars upside down to play lefty, and teachers they get lessons from dont make em play righty.
You know you'd think someone your paying for lessons who preaches being ambidextrous on the kit regardless wouldn't throw a hussy fit cuz you play lefty. Your the teacher, your supposed to be making the student get/feel comfortable with playing drums. I just dont get all fuzz about it honestly.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Im a lefty.
I have to reverse everything.
Im self taught.
I even used a mirror to view progress.
Ive hosted a jam for 9 yrs,never a problem.
I dont see it as a fault ever.
Ask Collins or Morgansteen,etc.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't ever seen other people having a problem with someone playing left-handed, but it can definitely make life more difficult for the drummer themself. Any place that you're sharing drums becomes much more of an issue. Jam sessions are basically ruled out, kit share at gigs becomes an issue. And that's not including any of the issues with teaching materials, videos, etc. that are all geared towards righties.

I strongly encourage all of my students to try a right-handed kit, for those reasons. If they're adamant that they want to stay left handed, I'd let them, but I've never had that happen. I think the fact that I am left handed, but have always played on a right handed kit helps convince them.

SteveParadis

Reaction score
I haven't ever seen other people having a problem with someone playing left-handed, but it can definitely make life more difficult for the drummer themself. Any place that you're sharing drums becomes much more of an issue. Jam sessions are basically ruled out, kit share at gigs becomes an issue. And that's not including any of the issues with teaching materials, videos, etc. that are all geared towards righties.

I strongly encourage all of my students to try a right-handed kit, for those reasons. If they're adamant that they want to stay left handed, I'd let them, but I've never had that happen. I think the fact that I am left handed, but have always played on a right handed kit helps convince them.
I just started playing drums last year. I’m left-handed and play right handed kit.Never really felt a problem. However I am just at the beginner stage. I try to practice my rudiments and a page or two out of Stick Control every day. My right hand is weaker but I’m working on that with exercises. My right foot is weaker but improving. I just think it’s not that big a deal if you keep doing basic exercises daily. Just my opinion, and like Sergeant Schultz, I know nothing!

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm lefty, but play right. When I got my first set back in 7th grade I set it up left, but then when I got to 9th/high school there was only one set in jazz band for a few drummers. And since I was the freshman, I learned to play right. Sometimes I'll set my drums up left, but I suck playing left now (actually I suck playing right too).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sambo84

Reaction score
Lefty here and play a lefty configuration. I just learned that way but for a long time kind of regretted that I hadn't just learned to play a 'righty' config, since at the end of the day we use both hands and both feet. Yes it presents the familiar challenges of sharing equipment but actually I am sometimes glad my lefty kit at home keeps random beaters from jumping on the kit xD I've kind of just developed the ability to reverse notation in reading material , although that 4-Way Coordination book can be kind of challenging to interpret. Mostly have come to terms with playing lefty and not looking back!

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lefty, but learned and play righty. (Bonus! =traditional grip always felt normal)

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lefty here too. I’m self taught and started off playing righty, but switched to a lefty set up about six months in. Wish I’d stayed righty. I sat in on Rick Marotta’s kit a couple of weeks ago and didn’t embarrass myself too much - played the bass drum with my right foot and open handed on the hi hat and snare. It’s a right handed world.
9CCCA8C1-2466-4E71-BA3E-11A6B5C104F6.jpeg

ButchA

Reaction score
I just signed up earlier... I'm a lefty (but righty on other instruments).

I made an Introduction type of posting on the main general forum.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score

I'm left-handed as well and I've always played righty, and I'm so glad I do. I've been in hundreds of situations playing with other drummers where it would've been inconvenient at best, or impossible at worst to play left-handed!

Funny enough, as a result of playing right-handed, my right hand is actually faster than my left hand.