Where the lefties/southpaws at???

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I started at age nine I was taught traditional grip, and tended to start patterns with my dominant left hand. That turned into an advantage when I got a drumset years later and started playing jazz. My left hand was immediately further along than my right, and I still wanted to lead with my left. Years of effort improved my right had somewhat, and I can comfortably lead with my right, but am often more comfortable leading with my left. It also means that some patterns can be modified simply by changing the lead hand.

Sambo84

Reaction score
I'm left hand handed, but I too play traditional righty setup, that's just how I learned. But for the most part I play open handed. I'm fairly ambidextrous except for really complex syncopated parts.
Being able to play open handed is one reason I kind of wish I'd learned to play a righty setup. Kind of just makes sense, because open handed is really more practical, unless one just has a much stronger left foot. Never have really heard a good explanation for why most play crossover on the hi-hat, even myself. I'm sticking with lefty but might just add a left side hi-hat to open it up.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being able to play open handed is one reason I kind of wish I'd learned to play a righty setup. Kind of just makes sense, because open handed is really more practical, unless one just has a much stronger left foot. Never have really heard a good explanation for why most play crossover on the hi-hat, even myself. I'm sticking with lefty but might just add a left side hi-hat to open it up.
It works well for me. I had two different drummers come up to me the other night and said that they were perplexed by my drumming style, but in a good way. It works for me, your mileage may vary.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm like many others here... I'm left handed but learned on a right handed set up. though I play about 60% of the time open handed and can ride equally well with either hand. My feet however did not apparently get the memo about being a south paw, or they maybe just don't care. They are NOT quick to move back and forth like my hands and since I don't play double kick, I'm hopelessly locked into a right handed kit from the waist down!

drumdawg

Reaction score
I am a lefty. Left handed and footed but I play righty setup. I play righty because in the beginning, anytime I had a chance to sit at a kit it was always right handed so I just kept going. I'm glad I did because of course my teacher was righty and it made things easier. As a lefty you get used to having to learn to do things righty. Sometimes I will play open-handed and with my double pedal play the left foot on the bass drum so that all limbs are reversed and get the left handed setup feel - just for fun :)
It's the same way with other things too, until recently I had never heard of a left handed rifle, always shot righty. I'm also left eye dominant :)

ButchA

Reaction score
It's the same way with other things too, until recently I had never heard of a left handed rifle, always shot righty. I'm also left eye dominant :)
OMG.... Same here... You'll all notice that I am retired US Coast Guard. I remember in the late 70's going through bootcamp in Cape May, NJ. And quickly realizing that I am a natural "lefty" when holding a firearm. The Coast Guard had other plans, and beat my a$$, and tried and TRIED to make me shoot righty. NOPE... Fail... Fortunately (for my sake) there was a younger, more understanding, firearm range officer nearby. He looked at me and said, "Okay, look kid... Here it is.. I don't know nothing, I don't see nothing, you get what I'm sayin'? You do it your way..." Sha-boom, I instantly qualified in firearms and earned the ribbons on my military dress jacket (both rifle and pistol)! :D

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm a righty in most things , but complete lefty on the drums - hihat on the right side , left foot on the bass drum, etc .
Since dropping all my toms for the e-pad/kick - there's probably never been a better time for me to try that again. Actually what would be awesome is a remote hat with a double bass pedal style linkage instead of the throttle cable. I should invent that.

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Righty playing Lefty here. NOTE - have a wife, exwife and 3 kids - all left handed.

When I was "teaching" myself to play drum in JR High, I decided to do it different Not really aware of left handed drummers at the time, so just being obstinate. Do go to jams and always ask about moving floor tom, snare and high hat. Not been a problem except when a rack set up is used. I sit that one out.

Something I picked up a while back. . . Times have changed for Lefties. (Delete if out of bounds)

Attachments

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a righty with a righty set up, but I was always impressed hearing Ringo speak of leading with his left hand on descending tom fills which gave him a distinctive sound. I’ve always mixed that into my fill vocabulary. I tried setting up as a lefty once, but it was a disaster. My hat’s off to those leftys playing righty sets

boomstick

Reaction score
Lefty with a right-handed setup here. :)
Do we have ambidextrous players in the group?
I'm surprised this isn't more common among lefties. I'm a righty who recently switched to open-handed. I've discovered that I much prefer playing this way, and it seems like it would be such a natural fit for a lefty. Since I played cross-stick for most of my life, I still keep my ride on the right side, so now I switch off between right and left hand lead. I'm trying to achieve true ambidexterity in drumming and in life in general, trying to do away with the notion of a dominant side.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My boy is a lefty. I'm extremely right handed. I tell him whenever we try something new, "handedness of either persuasion is a limitation to be overcome". He also has dysgraphia, so I make the attempt to write stuff left handed when we're working on homework.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Btw that pit gig was the first time in 29 years, being a lefty was an issue.

On regular gigs, jams, and sessions it never was a problem.

Still a big bummer though, so I do practice my right side even more now with my 20 crash” as a ride and double pedal.

And im thinking ablut switching all around and play open handed. I just dont feel like putting a few years in it when im already 35.

My studio rig:
77E6D739-1FB4-4156-8DFF-66D11F43512A.jpeg

1BB6CB37-B5E7-4037-9238-7DAD8EFD39AD.jpeg