Where the lefties/southpaws at???

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am a lefty, but am right handed, also left footed, weird I know.
Same here! I can kick either, but naturally I've always kicked llefty, and I punt much better L.
If I could start over, I'd have learned to play open handed. Carter of DMB is lefty. He went to see Buddy as a kid, and set up just like him. It worked out well for him (like Ringo)
Just quick trivia. Ya know why they call lefties "South paws"?

Zapruder1337

Reaction score
Im a lefty.
I have to reverse everything.
Im self taught.
I even used a mirror to view progress.
Ive hosted a jam for 9 yrs,never a problem.
I dont see it as a fault ever.
Ask Collins or Morgansteen,etc.
When I first started I was doing the same thing. Learned that little trick from skating when i was a young lad.
I wished I learned right handed.

Just lost a major profile pit gig because of being a lefty :(
That's just down right bonkers dude. They contact you or was an open audition. I watched a daniel glass video a couple weeks and he said that because everyone is too crammed together to he able to flip the kit.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Same here! I can kick either, but naturally I've always kicked llefty, and I punt much better L.
If I could start over, I'd have learned to play open handed. Carter of DMB is lefty. He went to see Buddy as a kid, and set up just like him. It worked out well for him (like Ringo)
Just quick trivia. Ya know why they call lefties "South paws"?
Hi, no why are lefties called "south paws"

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's just down right bonkers dude. They contact you or was an open audition. I watched a daniel glass video a couple weeks and he said that because everyone is too crammed together to he able to flip the kit.
I was asked for the national run of Tina, because I would be a sub for the main drummer who was venturing into other gigs.

As part of the stage setting has a kit that turned out to be bolted on roaling mini riser, the production wouldn't/couldn't change when I had to sub.

Initially it wasn't a problem, but then they asked if couldn't just play right handed which I had to say no too.

Hopefully I get a call for a pit gig someday, where it is easier to change over as main or sub drummer.

Zapruder1337

Reaction score
I just started playing drums last year. I’m left-handed and play right handed kit.Never really felt a problem. However I am just at the beginner stage. I try to practice my rudiments and a page or two out of Stick Control every day. My right hand is weaker but I’m working on that with exercises. My right foot is weaker but improving. I just think it’s not that big a deal if you keep doing basic exercises daily. Just my opinion, and like Sergeant Schultz, I know nothing!
I'll add that there is being left handed, and also left footed. I'm both and was that way long before I ever sat at a drum kit. Folks sometimes forget about that when they suggest one should just play open handed on a righty kit.
Same here go with what makes you comfortable. I'm 30 years old, and I'm definitely not the second coming of Neil Peart or Sean Reinert
I was asked for the national run of Tina, because I would be a sub for the main drummer who was venturing into other gigs.

As part of the stage setting has a kit that turned out to be bolted on roaling mini riser, the production wouldn't/couldn't change when I had to sub.

Initially it wasn't a problem, but then they asked if couldn't just play right handed which I had to say no too.

Hopefully I get a call for a pit gig someday, where it is easier to change over as main or sub drummer.
Sorry to hear that. You'd think they know your left. SMFH.
Good to ya

distantplanet

Reaction score
I'm surprised this isn't more common among lefties. I'm a righty who recently switched to open-handed. I've discovered that I much prefer playing this way, and it seems like it would be such a natural fit for a lefty. Since I played cross-stick for most of my life, I still keep my ride on the right side, so now I switch off between right and left hand lead. I'm trying to achieve true ambidexterity in drumming and in life in general, trying to do away with the notion of a dominant side.
I’m new to the instrument, so I’m trying to be as free to try different things. I’ve been encouraged to play open-handed by some, to develop ambidexterity on the instrument.

Zapruder1337

Reaction score
I’m new to the instrument, so I’m trying to be as free to try different things. I’ve been encouraged to play open-handed by some, to develop ambidexterity on the instrument.
I'm a newbie lefty also, almost two years now since I started drumming. I tried playing open handed a couple times because other people told me too, too frustrating for me to relearn accents or going into fills. I found it easier to right down rolls, paradiddles, rudiments backwards in a notebook pad I have. I had a hard time remembering the pattern because I was also doing to opposite of what they were saying. Anyways whatever is comfortable TO YOU. Your the one playing the kit, learning techniques. Who cares what someone else says. Drums is the only instrument where it's for some reason wrong to play lefty.

Zapruder1337

Reaction score

Lefty, lefty here. I've never seen it as a problem. In fact, it comes in handy sometimes when "that guy" wants to sit in.
Yeah I dont think I can afford another "that guy" I'm already expensive enough bahahaha

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The term originates from boxing. So if you were a lefty your left hand would be slightly lower than your right, vice versa.
Correct, and your probably from NY. There's also the term "The Brooklyn side" (Bonus rd) lol

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Brooklyn side" is a bowling term. As a hint.
To keep this drum related, I never played a bowling alley

Jakehotep

Reaction score
IS it an issue? Maybe I've gotten more laid back in my old age, but I can't imagine giving a Lefty a hard time.

I think if there's any problem at all, it's whenever I see a drumset up on stage, my first thought (fantasy) is, "Hey, maybe that drummer's gonna have a heart attack and the lead singer will yell, 'Is there a drummer in the house?' and I'd say, 'Why, yes, I'm a drummer!' and they'd say, 'But are you a LEFTY?' and I would have to grudgingly admit, 'No. No, I am not' ", and that would just shatter my dream....

Other than that, It's not an issue for me...

kzac

Reaction score
Im prolly gonna regret this post, oh well.....
IM A LEFTY who plays with their drum kit setup left handed. I honestly dont get why it's such a big deal? Ppl string guitars upside down to play lefty, and teachers they get lessons from dont make em play righty.
You know you'd think someone your paying for lessons who preaches being ambidextrous on the kit regardless wouldn't throw a hussy fit cuz you play lefty. Your the teacher, your supposed to be making the student get/feel comfortable with playing drums. I just dont get all fuzz about it honestly.

I have no problem with people setting up their kits in a way that serves their needs best. I am right handed and I have played a bass drum with my left foot many times, I find it helps with independence.

I am of the opinion that the traditional setup does not serve drummers well.. It was a design created during the swing band era, when drums were not traditionally sound enhanced (Microphones).
I have great concern with the bass drum interfering with tom height. Think about how much better it would be to have the bass off to the side somewhere. allowing one to place more important items within easy reach. This is something I did with my current kit, its the best decision I ever made. The only problem with relocating the bass is rapid bass beats which I don't use that often any longer.

Boone20

Reaction score
Another lefty here. I play right handed on the drums but lefty on guitar. When I played baseball I threw lefty but batted righty.

I guess I’ve just always done what feels more natural to me. And interestingly enough, my right hand has always been more dexterous and faster than my left which helps with fretting on the guitar playing lefty and quick hi hat work playing righty on the drums.

kanefsky

Reaction score
Not me… I do some things righty and some things lefty, including playing drums and guitar. But that’s not ambidextrous.
I think being inherently left-handed or right-handed is much less of a thing than people make it out to be. I'm "left handed" in the sense that I write with my left hand but I do a whole bunch of things with my right hand and would have trouble doing them with my left hand after after many years doing them right-handed. I only realized recently what the pattern is. Basically anything that required different equipment for left-handed people is something I learned to do right-handed as a child without even realizing it. For example I throw a baseball with my right hand so that I can wear a normal baseball glove on the other hand. But I bat left-handed because that doesn't require a special bat. I use scissors right handed, I bowl right handed, I play guitar right handed, I use a right-handed computer mouse, and so on because those all require different equipment for left-handed people. But I shave with my left hand because razors can be used in either hand. The list goes on.

I think anybody could probably learn to do anything with either hand almost equally well if they start out that way. You could even argue that a "right-handed" guitar is actually more suitable for left handed people and vice-versa. With drumming there's a good argument that playing right-hand lead means that your left hand has to be better coordinated than your right because it's harder to play the in-between notes than the downbeats. If you have difficulty playing left-hand lead there's a good chance that it's really your right hand causing the problems.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm right handed and left footed and play the kit righty but I am going to experiment with switching the bass drum and hi hats around to see what happens.
One reason is that I've spent a good while working on playing the hats open handed with my left hand and it's just not happening.
I can play ride cymbal OK with my left hand but not the hats.
I think the zany caffeinated dude on YouTube (Harry Miree) moved his hats over to the right side with an extension cable and hardware setup so he can keep pedaling the hats with his left foot but play them open handed with his right hand.

Drumskillz

Reaction score
I honestly dont get why it's such a big deal? [snip] You know you'd think someone your paying for lessons who preaches being ambidextrous on the kit regardless wouldn't throw a hussy fit cuz you play lefty. Your the teacher, your supposed to be making the student get/feel comfortable with playing drums. I just dont get all fuzz about it honestly.
Hmmm. So who exactly is making "such a big deal" about your being left-handed? Your teacher? Did he really "throw a hissy fit"? Or is that a bit exaggerated? If he did, then it's time to find a new teacher.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think being inherently left-handed or right-handed is much less of a thing than people make it out to be. I'm "left handed" in the sense that I write with my left hand but I do a whole bunch of things with my right hand and would have trouble doing them with my left hand after after many years doing them right-handed. I only realized recently what the pattern is. Basically anything that required different equipment for left-handed people is something I learned to do right-handed as a child without even realizing it. For example I throw a baseball with my right hand so that I can wear a normal baseball glove on the other hand. But I bat left-handed because that doesn't require a special bat. I use scissors right handed, I bowl right handed, I play guitar right handed, I use a right-handed computer mouse, and so on because those all require different equipment for left-handed people. But I shave with my left hand because razors can be used in either hand. The list goes on.

I think anybody could probably learn to do anything with either hand almost equally well if they start out that way. You could even argue that a "right-handed" guitar is actually more suitable for left handed people and vice-versa. With drumming there's a good argument that playing right-hand lead means that your left hand has to be better coordinated than your right because it's harder to play the in-between notes than the downbeats. If you have difficulty playing left-hand lead there's a good chance that it's really your right hand causing the problems.
Doing some things right handed and some things left handed is called being “Mixed Handed.” I’m mixed handed and do some things righty, like writing and throwing a ball, and some things lefty, like eating, brushing my teeth, playing drums, guitar. I’m a mess! :)

People often confuse it with being ambidextrous which is the ability to do things right handed and left handed, equally. Billy Cobham and Carter Beauford are not ambidextrous. Simon Phillips is close. Mike Mangini is closer.

And I agree about your guitar analogy and have often said the same thing. A right handed guitar player does more with their left hand. And vice-versa with lefty guitar players.