Where the lefties/southpaws at???

boomstick

Reaction score
I'm right handed and left footed and play the kit righty but I am going to experiment with switching the bass drum and hi hats around to see what happens.
One reason is that I've spent a good while working on playing the hats open handed with my left hand and it's just not happening.
I can play ride cymbal OK with my left hand but not the hats.
I think the zany caffeinated dude on YouTube (Harry Miree) moved his hats over to the right side with an extension cable and hardware setup so he can keep pedaling the hats with his left foot but play them open handed with his right hand.
I have to say there is something very satisfying about operating the hi-hat with one side of my body (left hand/left foot), and controlling the main beat with the other side (right hand/right foot). It feels more logical and more balanced.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think every drummer has dreamed about being called up on stage to preform. Well I have also. The heart attack part, and lefty part sadly wasn't part of my fantasy. Nice creativity .

"The Brooklyn Side" is a term used when throwing a strike, but on the left pt of the 1st 2 pins for a righty"

I've set my kit up to play with my left foot as well while I was having the most trouble using my R foot.
I'd set the kit up as I was a lefty, and play it open handed. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be to play the bass, but the coordination on the kit was tought. Opening/closing the hats was especially tough

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m mostly left handed, but I am completely right footed, so a righty kit (for the sake of bass drum placement) is more important to my comfort and performance than a kit where I’d be playing BD with my left foot. Point being, a person’s dominant hand and foot aren’t necessarily on the same side, and those folks need to make adjustments.

owr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is interesting how that dominance manifests. Like I mentioned earlier, I am very left handed and left footed. The hand part I'm sure came out when I was very young with drawing/writing, so I'm sure wasn't influenced by outside parties (parents and older brother are all righty). But the foot part also came out early, pretty much all my athletic activities during my youth were feet dominated, soccer from age 6 on (left defense was my "specialty", I could bring the ball out of the defensive side of the field riding that left out of bounds line, anyone from the other team who tried to interfere would almost always end up knocking it out of bounds. My peak in team sports...). Skateboarding and eventually snowboarding were huge in my life, and I was goofy from the get go.

Interestingly, the only thing I do righty is bat when playing baseball. This was not a big sport for me, I'm sure I was "taught" this when I was older, but the idea of batting lefty feels very weird. Yet I play tennis/racquet ball lefty. Our brains are weird.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Lefties are far more likely to switch between activities. I know plenty of lefties who golf right, shoot left, bowl left, drum right and play guitar left. Righties? Uhhh maybe baseball players who've learned to switch hit. But the one thing I've never ever seen is a left handed canopener.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lefties are far more likely to switch between activities. I know plenty of lefties who golf right, shoot left, bowl left, drum right and play guitar left. Righties? Uhhh maybe baseball players who've learned to switch hit. But the one thing I've never ever seen is a left handed canopener.
This is exactly how I am in my life...

CigarScott

Reaction score
I'm a true lefty and play a lefty kit. My dad tried to get me to play right handed and my drum instructor tried teaching me right handed but it didn't stick. I'm glad I was taught as a right as it helps with ambidexterity. I think lefties usually do well with ambidextrous activities as we live in a right-handed world so we have to learn to do some things right handed. For me, it helped with hockey and lacrosse.

Attachments