Where you are spending your time

Reaction score
So most of us are quarantined in our homes. I spent most of yesterday cleaning up the spaces that I spend most of my time in. But aside from the wife and I (and the cat...) WHO will appreciate my hard work in creating a nice clean library and studio.

So then I figured, why not start a thread to show where each of us is going to spending (only) the next few weeks (hopefully.)
I really never start many threads, so here goes, out of sheer boredom.

Come on in to the listening library. The hell with iTunes and spotify. I like to support the musicians that I admire by purchasing their recordings. Then listening to them (instead of awful sounding you tube posts and crappy mp3's) in a nice listening environment, instead of on crappy earbuds and laptop speakers. (Sorry I didn't get a chance to snap a shot of the record corner.)

I have a student who calls this his second favorite room in the world.
IMG_1158.jpg

Yup those are tapes in the top left corner. I used to tape everything that I went to see in clubs.
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg

Then come on in to the nice clean (but not too clean) drum room...
I never trust a guy whose workshop is TOO clean!
(By the way, that same student calls this his favorite room in the world. Good kid!!!)

IMG_1164.jpg

Walk towards the blue set and look to the right... That's the beater (student set) of Tour Customs in Black.
IMG_1167.jpg

Now, turn around and look at the wall... Those are the "extra" Cobalt Blues in 20, 12, 13, 14, 15,
and a few snares take one down that you want to play. Wanna trade some four's?
IMG_1171.jpg

And as you turn and walk towards the door, there's some of the "working drums."
More Cobalt Blues and Black Nitron Gretsch's (some cased, some un-cased)
IMG_1166.jpg

And as you walk out on your left, a few extra snares, and some more of the "working drums" cased up.
I guess they won't be going anywhere for the next few weeks.
IMG_1178.jpg

If you are REALLY bored, I'll post some pix of the new kitchen that we just had done.
Welcome to...
IMG_1121.JPG

Can I fix you a drink? How about a burger?

The "kitchen job" was after MANY years of savings, nothing really fancy, but I like spending time there too.
And for the first time in my life, I had a bunch of people working for me, while I sat back and "watched."
I felt "rich" (for the first time ever!) and spoiled. I can do most things around the house,
but this was way too big of a job for me to ever do.

It's weird, I'm not dreading this time off. We spend so much time running, and working, and traveling, that we really don't get much time sit back (guilt free) and enjoy or homes (the fruits of out labor.)

Call a friend, have a nice long conversation,
Help a neighbor.
LISTEN to some GREAT music, we've got the time!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Cheers!
MSG

Your turn....
Who's Next?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am just staying home. I have a pool if the sun comes out. My refrigerator is stocked. I have a few TV series downloaded to catch up on. I might put the muffling pads on the kit (neighbors are very close) and practice for the first time in years. Having lived alone for decades, I am used to my own company even if I do bore myself at times. I also offered to spend free time doing logo designs free for local musicians and bands and did a couple already. Time passes.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im a public school band director in upstate ny.
Home now. Yesterday a 4 hour rehearsal/recording for upcoming CD.

My wife is a private school teacher. She is at work still 8-3. They are teaching electronically. All the students at her school get a laptop and all kids have internet access.

Yeah its hard. She goes off to work while I get to stay home. But Im doing extra dog walk, cleaning and cooking.

I finally have no excuse now to clean my teaching space...which for me mostly means organizing music for flute,clarinet,alto,trumpet,
marimba and snare drum

I have a hot tub right outside my kitchen door. So Im doing 2 a days in there :)

Great thread idea Mark

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a deli, meat counter and small grocery section..we are working every day as usual..I am busy making frozen meals, soups, and we have offered delivery for elders and shut-ins..we have reduced our hours. Normaly, we open until 6 but we are closing at 3. Things are changing by the day..restaurants have been told too close..we've closed our dining area but a lot of our business is take out anyway as we have counter service..business has been decent and we'll navigate these stormy seas until we are told to stop, or the virus gets too close...as of now, there are no confirmed cases in the county, which is one of the biggest counties in Ontario..time will tell..

On the drumming front, I have had extra time to spend in my drum room, when I'm not frozen by the stress and uncertainty..
download.jpg

Last edited:

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still doing the bookkeeping and manual labor in our family businesses (I will be 64 in a few weeks). No rest in our self employed jobs. But our contact with other folks is some what limited so the corona virus risk is low (I hope). However, no work no pay. Hope all my DFO brothers and sisters are well and stay that way. Good luck out there.

Still playing at church but to an empty house as the service is streamed live. Weird with no one in the audience.
Coy in Idaho

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm jealous.
My company is not big on WFH...so when I needed a room to rent a room for a while (after my divorce) I looked for my 'forever' home I rented a small room close to the train to work.

Its so small that if I invited a woman up to have sex all around the room...it'd be a quickie. No room for a desk. I'm working off my bed. No drums in the house (which I share w/5 others)....and of course the money for my down payment on a house took a hit on the market...

In my spare time...I'm trying to learn Abelton...and logged into Netflix (a terrible time to catch up on Nightflyers and The Walking Dead but here I am)...one of bands is still practicing. Not sure if its a great idea but getting out of the house and hitting something can only help...

I had been seeing my folks daily to help my mom w/some knee therapy...but we're holding off since she and dad are in the at risk population (77 and 80).

My kids seem to be OK...only one was living in a dorm.

I had to order cleaning supplies off Amazon this morning...nothing around locally.

I'm an optimist. This could all be worse.....

Reactions: egw

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
These days, a lot of mixing my Petty bands local live performance and then always 3 hours of exercise (either walking or cycling) everyday. That pretty much covers the daylight hours. Soon, when my mixing is completed, I have a plan to woodshed...

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I'll be working 8-4:30 in a small office with one other person - other than that, I'll be home with the wife and kids.
My wife is a kitchen manager at a middle school - the one week spring break has turned into a 4 week spring break.

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
So most of us are quarantined in our homes. I spent most of yesterday cleaning up the spaces that I spend most of my time in. But aside from the wife and I (and the cat...) WHO will appreciate my hard work in creating a nice clean library and studio.

So then I figured, why not start a thread to show where each of us is going to spending (only) the next few weeks (hopefully.)
I really never start many threads, so here goes, out of sheer boredom.

Come on in to the listening library. The hell with iTunes and spotify. I like to support the musicians that I admire by purchasing their recordings. Then listening to them (instead of awful sounding you tube posts and crappy mp3's) in a nice listening environment, instead of on crappy earbuds and laptop speakers. (Sorry I didn't get a chance to snap a shot of the record corner.)

I have a student who calls this his second favorite room in the world.
View attachment 431566

Yup those are tapes in the top left corner. I used to tape everything that I went to see in clubs.
View attachment 431567 View attachment 431568

Then come on in to the nice clean (but not too clean) drum room...
I never trust a guy whose workshop is TOO clean!
(By the way, that same student calls this his favorite room in the world. Good kid!!!)

View attachment 431569

Walk towards the blue set and look to the right... That's the beater (student set) of Tour Customs in Black.
View attachment 431570

Now, turn around and look at the wall... Those are the "extra" Cobalt Blues in 20, 12, 13, 14, 15,
and a few snares take one down that you want to play. Wanna trade some four's?
View attachment 431571

And as you turn and walk towards the door, there's some of the "working drums."
More Cobalt Blues and Black Nitron Gretsch's (some cased, some un-cased)
View attachment 431573

And as you walk out on your left, a few extra snares, and some more of the "working drums" cased up.
I guess they won't be going anywhere for the next few weeks.
View attachment 431572

If you are REALLY bored, I'll post some pix of the new kitchen that we just had done.
Welcome to...
View attachment 431574
Can I fix you a drink? How about a burger?

The "kitchen job" was after MANY years of savings, nothing really fancy, but I like spending time there too.
And for the first time in my life, I had a bunch of people working for me, while I sat back and "watched."
I felt "rich" (for the first time ever!) and spoiled. I can do most things around the house,
but this was way too big of a job for me to ever do.

It's weird, I'm not dreading this time off. We spend so much time running, and working, and traveling, that we really don't get much time sit back (guilt free) and enjoy or homes (the fruits of out labor.)

Call a friend, have a nice long conversation,
Help a neighbor.
LISTEN to some GREAT music, we've got the time!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Cheers!
MSG

Your turn....
Who's Next?
And 6 pairs of shoes to boot! (2nd photo). Very impressive by the way, both the music collection and the drum collection. Looks like a lifetime of collecting to me.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
My wife and I (both retired) spend about 5 hrs in the van, every other day, going between the house we live in and one we're finishing, 110 miles apart. At home, it is a mess as we're packing and doing minor repairs so we can sell it when we move. The new house only needed a septic system, interior walls, HVAC, kitchen cabinets, 2 bathrooms, finish carpentry, patching and painting...we're now doing the pergo flooring ourselves while the contractors still working finish up, hopefully over the next 2 weeks. We work on different days than our contractors so no contact with other humans. The new house has 7.5 acres of woods surrounding it and is nearer family, friends and band so it will be good for my music when we get moved. We have plenty of food etc, we don't eat out or visit.
My drum room is a mess but I can still practice drums and keys anytime, when I get the time and aren't too ham-fisted from hammering etc.

Last edited:

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I work in the grocery business, had the last two days off, but back to work tomorrow. My wife is pregnant and working from home. My six year old is home indefinitely and we're teaching the lessons.
When I'm not at work, I'll be in the house painting the nursery and spring cleaning. I'll take my son on hikes in the woods when allowed. Been listening to lots of Brian Eno, feeling reflective, uncertain, then calm, then repeat. It's been surreal watching the trees and flowers come back to life, always a sense of renewal, instead, we hibernate hoping for clarity.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I'm blown away by your "happy space" MSG. I would have loved to see that vinyl collection as well as the stereo you listen to all that music on. The whole feel of the room seems cocoon like. What better place to sequester yourself for days on end than what you've shown us? Awesome. I'm jealous.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Both the wife and I are retired. Just got home from an epic road trip and came home to quarantine! Not much different except for no visiting or visitors and trying to get outdoors while the weather is nice. Doing a little drum restoration on a drum I picked up from a friend while on the road trip. Just sitting back and watching the fall of modern civilization.