Which 12mil heads: G12 or Ambassador X?

mica

Reaction score
Looking for a warmer single-ply coated head. Thinking 12mil instead of the usual 10 would do the trick. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the contenders?

Also considering the Aquarian Studio-X, which is a 10mil with a "lightweight muffle ring adhered to the underside". Supposedly, this won't be quite as dampening as the plastic inlay ring found on their Focus-X or on a Powerstroke 3.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a full set of Ambassador-X on my Starclassics and they sounded fantastic.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Messing with heads is fun! With the quality of shells today, drum heads can make a HUGE difference in your sound. For maple shells, I definitely prefer a heavier, single-ply head. What kind of kit/shells are you using?

Anywho, my choices for toms are:

Evans: G-14 top/ G1 coated or Resonant black bottoms

Aquarian: Studio X clear top/ High Frequency Texture Coated bottoms.

Both are very punchy, resonant, and durable without having to muffle or kill your tone with a double ply. In my latest incarnation, I made a conscious decision to be more wood-oriented in my tone. To that end, I switched to wood tipped sticks and single ply heads in an effort to reduce the amount of plastic involved in the overall setup.

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
Don't know if you're talking toms or snare here... but FWIW I had a coated Ambassador X on my Tama Starphonic snare. It sounded great! Until the coating wore off... which was about a week or two. Then the sound... not so much. Since then I've tried Attack Terry Bozzio coated head (10 mil) and Aquarian Texture Coated (also 10mil). I wasn't crazy about the sound with the Attack TB head... the coating was indestructible! My current head on that drum is the Aquarian Texture Coated. To my ear, it sounds a lot like the Ambassador X except even a little better. The main difference is that the coating is much more durable. Not as durable as the Attack TB head, but I've got 3 months now on that Aquarian head, gigging 2 to 3 times per week (2 1/2 hour gigs) with a significant amount of brush work too. The coating is wearing a little and I'll replace it after my New Year's Eve gig... but the good news is that, even with the coating starting to wear the head still sounds great, unlike the Remo Ambassador X.

blownaway

Reaction score
Bright minds think alike. I'm going to try 13" & 16" ambassador x heads as an alternative to my Evans EC2 heads. Should sound different (better?) with my birch Sonor SQ1 set up. Not sure how it will turn out but Nicko from Iron Maiden likes A x's and Sonor Tom's :)

mica

Reaction score
...Ambassador X... It sounded great! Until the coating wore off... Aquarian Texture Coated... sounds a lot like the Ambassador X... the coating is much more durable...
That's good to hear. I've been looking for an excuse to try Aquarians. I've used their Classic Clears as resos in the past, and they did somehow seem to feel denser than Amb. or G1s. That, plus an apparently heavier coating, it would make sense if they sound closer to an Amb. X. They're also $25 less for a set, which makes them all the more tempting to try out.

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
That's good to hear. I've been looking for an excuse to try Aquarians. I've used some of their Classic Clears as reso heads in the past, and they did somehow seem to feel denser than Amb. or G1s. That, plus an apparently heavier coating, it would make sense that they sound close to an Amb. X. They're also $25 less for a set, which make it all the more persuasive.
I'm sure to a degree it depends on the drum. But on my Tama Starphonic snare I immediately liked the sound of the Aquarian Texture Coated best of all the heads I've tried on it. I agree... the coating is a little more dense and that is probably the reason it sounds a lot like the Ambassador X. It's also a plus that it has maintained that good sound as the coating has worn a little (unlike the Ambassador X) and it has also required less frequent tweaking to keep it tuned where I like it.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for a warmer single-ply coated head. Thinking 12mil instead of the usual 10 would do the trick. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the contenders?

Also considering the Aquarian Studio-X, which is a 10mil with a "lightweight muffle ring adhered to the underside". Supposedly, this won't be quite as dampening as the plastic inlay ring found on their Focus-X or on a Powerstroke 3.
All the reviews and info that I have read, it was stated the Studio X is more dampened than the Focus X. I just put Focus Xs on my toms and snare and they're great. They're nice and warm, obviously focused, and sound great! I went with the power dots as well, paired the toms with Texture coated resos. Theres a video in the video section if youd like to hear them!

mica

Reaction score
...info that I have read... Studio X is more dampened than the Focus X...
I actually emailed Aquarian recently to ask this very question after reading conflicting reports online. They said the Focus X should sound more dampened than the Studio X. Would love to hear a comparison.

Latest posts