Which band replace their drummer for a better technical drummer that ended up not working as well for their songs?

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kenny Jones with the Who. Although they did have a hit with "You Better, You Bet".
They had a number of hits with Kenney. "Another Tricky Day" "Don't Let Go The Coat" "Eminence Front" and "Athena" were what I would consider hits.

The choice of Kenney was strategic from the standpoint of getting someone who didn't play like Keith i.e. a more straight ahead approach, which was what Pete wanted at the time. I agree he might not have been the best fit, but really, who could've replaced Keith Moon in 1978 and maintained the same style? Simon maybe, but Kenney could throw down when he needed to.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
McCartney?

Seriously, I'm pretty sure Jimmy Nichol made The Beatles worse when Ringo sat out with laryngitis in 1964.

I'd put Eric Carr ahead of Eric Singer and Peter Criss.

Id also rate Phil Rudd 's feel above Chris Slade (personal preference).

The Pretenders realized Martin Chambers is the best drummer for that band, having re-hired him more than once, I think.

Topper Headon was the best drummer for The Clash.

Chuck Biscuits is by far my favorite in Social Distortion.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
They had a number of hits with Kenney. "Another Tricky Day" "Don't Let Go The Coat" "Eminence Front" and "Athena" were what I would consider hits.

The choice of Kenney was strategic from the standpoint of getting someone who didn't play like Keith i.e. a more straight ahead approach, which was what Pete wanted at the time. I agree he might not have been the best fit, but really, who could've replaced Keith Moon in 1978 and maintained the same style? Simon maybe, but Kenney could throw down when he needed to.
Don't Let Go The C oat? A hit? Where?

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't Let Go The C oat? A hit? Where?
Ok, "Don't Let Go The Coat" is a stretch, but it did get radio and MTV airplay and charted on Billboard and I believe in the UK. But yeah, not as successful as the other songs I mentioned... So ok, I'm saying "uncle." on that ;)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
1st your question Doesn't have to include "technically better" drummer.
Let's just say drummer "who wasn't the original" (when the band got popular) drummer.
~
Just about every one,
Chicago (fer sure)
Yes (fer sure..)
Santana? yea Santana
King Crimson? (yeah sorta yea Gilles to Wallace
BS & T (that's going back a ways
Mahavishnu Orchestra? (yeah ok

You know what they say " First cut is the deepest..

prplx

Reaction score
1st your question Doesn't have to include "technically better" drummer.
Let's just say drummer "who wasn't the original" (when the band got popular) drummer.
~
Just about every one,
Chicago (fer sure)
Yes (fer sure..)
Santana? yea Santana
King Crimson? (yeah sorta yea Gilles to Wallace
BS & T (that's going back a ways
Mahavishnu Orchestra? (yeah ok

You know what they say " First cut is the deepest..
I included "technically better" because that is what I was curious to hear about. Like sometimes, you realise that a vary basic drummer like Phil Rudd works perfect for a band, and replacing him with someone with more skills and chops doesn,t make the band better. I mean you can replace a drummer that is ok with a much better technical drummer and the band will just take off (like Nico with Iron Maiden) but I am curious about the opposite.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In 1966 Hughie Flint left and John Mayall brought Aynsley Dunbar into the Bluesbreakers; then in 1967 replaced him with Micky Waller and then Mick Fleetwood because Aynsley was "too technical".

Ptrick

Reaction score
...and, just about every drummer for Pearl Jam post Krusen/Abbruzzese.
Absolutely. I love Matt Cameron IN SOUNDGARDEN, but with Pearl Jam he ruins the feel, and his choice of fills always seem out of place. It’s bizarre how he works so well with one band, but not the other.

Oh, and commenting on another poster, Abbrezzese said initially they told him he played “too many cymbals “, but he then found out later it was he was becoming too famous on his own in the drum community, and was actually enjoying being a rock star, which went against their “vibe”.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I included "technically better" because that is what I was curious to hear about. Like sometimes, you realise that a vary basic drummer like Phil Rudd works perfect for a band, and replacing him with someone with more skills and chops doesn,t make the band better. I mean you can replace a drummer that is ok with a much better technical drummer and the band will just take off (like Nico with Iron Maiden) but I am curious about the opposite.
Yes I understand. Another angle is friction of some type within the band;

Billy Joel ( got rid of what's his name Liberty)