which compact kit with 20" bass drum?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a compact gigging kit. I know there has been threads on this before, but I'm looking for something specific.
I absolutely want a 20" bass drum. Those smaller BDs don't do it for me. The feel and sound isn't there.
So, I'm looking for a 20 bass drum that is 10" to 14" deep.
What I've found so far is the Tama Superstar Neo-Mod, Ludwig Club Date, and DW Freq Flyer.
Shallow toms are a plus. The Tama is attractive, due to the lower price tag, and it's still an all-maple shell.
Thoughts on 20" BD compact kits?

apcpa2000

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Pearl Wood Fiberglass with the 20" Bass. 12" Tom and 14" Floor. I am using two inde mounts - the ones with the lugs incorporated on the base to fly the Gibraltar rail mount (floor tom conversion one) and a DW cymbal arm. The thing sounds huge and is really easy to set up and get around.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up a Pearl Wood Fiberglass with the 20" Bass. 12" Tom and 14" Floor. I am using two inde mounts - the ones with the lugs incorporated on the base to fly the Gibraltar rail mount (floor tom conversion one) and a DW cymbal arm. The thing sounds huge and is really easy to set up and get around.
Wow !! Those sizes in Pearl FG are extremely rare .

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really not look for a custom build or indy drum kit.
Something mass produced from the bigger companies.
I think I've already somewhat narrowed it down to the DW Freq. Flyer and Tama Superstar Neo.
The DW is about double the cost of the Tama, but it's U.S. maple vs. import maple.
Probably not enough difference in the shells to justify the price difference.
Since, with these small drums, I'd imagine most of the tone is coming from the heads.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot about the cost factor. I have a Tama Superstar Classic 10" tom and 14" floor I use with a different make 22 for a practice/gig kit. The toms are nice, well made, and easy to get a good sound out of.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Keller maple shells. The floor tom and BD separate in the middle to pack the other drums inside?
Interesting, although the photos don't really show how they separate and attach.
I'd imagine that a split shell with affect the tone and resonance quite a bit.
They make some nesting and some not. Just compact.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get a Pacific Chameleon if you can find one. Alternately, I use a Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass drum (8x20) with some DW piccolo toms/Pearl flat timbale - the 10/13 combo works for me. Sometimes I just use one and mount my ride off the kick. Simple, compact, good sound.

TimbaleTraveler001.jpg

2018-04-06-DeepCreek001.JPG

2018-06-29-Romilos001.JPG

IMG_9463.JPG

Johnny K

Reaction score
RBH Westwood kit is very nice. Got to see Mike Dawson from the Modern Drummer Podcast play one this past Saturday at a clinic. Less then 2k for a 12/14/20 shell pack.

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20”x8” Pearl Rhythm Traveler with an Emad batter and Regulator resonant that has great punch, tone, and projection.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 20"X15" but it is a custom (Punkinater) so not applicable to your post... but darn it, I just got it this past weekend and wanted to show it off! LOL!!!

Good luck with your hunt. For me it would be the Tama, but simply for no other reason than the price factor.

20190616_102353 copy.jpg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I threw together some orphans I had stored. 10/13/20. Been having way too much fun with them. Great “real world” gig set sizes...

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am really enjoying my Tama Neo Mod kit.
You are the first to respond who actually owns the Tama Neo kit.
How is it? Does the shallow bass drum still have some low end to it?
Did you ever compare it to the DW Freq. Flyer kit?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are the first to respond who actually owns the Tama Neo kit.
How is it? Does the shallow bass drum still have some low end to it?
Did you ever compare it to the DW Freq. Flyer kit?
Because it is 20” it still has plenty of low end. It’s a bit punchier than a standard depth drum, and I really like it. It is heads above one of those kits with the little 16” or 18” bass, which seem almost like toys. I have not compared it to the DW Freq. Flyer. I had a chance to get one of those used for a good deal but was really interested in the 10” deep Neo Mod bass drum. Plus I’m mostly a Tama guy.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I've played the TAMA Neo Mod and it's plays and sounds like a "real" drum kit. Of course it is, as are many others, but it seems less of a compromise than some of the other options. And the price is really good too!