Which heads are you running on your 3-ply Ludwigs?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can be a heavy hitter, so I favor 2-ply heads. I have used clear Pin Stripes and Coated Emperors, but when I put on Coated Evans G2s, it was like someone filled my drums with socks.

Maybe I have to bite the bullet and try something Ambassador weight, but I'd like to avoid that, as I do pit them more easily.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got Ambassador X's on my 70's Ludwig toms right now. They're a good middle ground between Ambassadors and Emperors so might be worth a try.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got Ambassador X's on my 70's Ludwig toms right now. They're a good middle ground between Ambassadors and Emperors so might be worth a try.
Thanks! I might go that route.

Dan

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe try the Remo Vintage Ambassadors? Those are actually 2-ply, but thinner. I've had good luck with those on 3-ply kits. But i'm currently running coated G2s on one of my 3ply kits and it's the best sound ever... I feel like those kits are all unique personalities and some favor different heads... and some heads just don't work on certain kits.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I prefer single ply heads even though my list of checkboxes would put me in a 2-ply camp. Heavy hitter, low tuning, a good bit of muffling...

I do like the 12 mil heads where I've tried them. I've never tried the 14 mil head, but I would expect it to be the ticket for floor toms and maybe even snare too.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine seem to love vintage emperors and black dots. Coated weathermaster mediums on reso

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my KB 13/16/22 and KB 12/15/20, coated Amb. Top and bottom. Super kick batter on the 22 and coated Amb reso, and clear dot batter on the 20 with Aquarian modern vintage reso. On my micro bop home created 12/14/16, coated Emperors over clear Amb. On toms, clear pinstripe batter and coated Amb. Reso.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my newer 3-ply Ludwigs (Legacy Maples) I'm running Fiberskyn Diplomats on tom batters and resos, Fiberskyn PS3 bass drum batters, and Fiberskyn PS3 bass drum resos, but with the muffling rings cut down to half their original widths. My Rogers Dyna-Sonic (which does full-time duty with the Legacy Maples) has a Fiberskyn Diplomat and my Ludwig snare (Black Beauty) has a Fiberskyn Ambassador batter. Except for the PS3 muffling rings there is no muffling on anything.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coated Remo ambassadors , top and bottom . Second choice clear ambs .

Aquarian SK 1 bass batter Clear Ludwig Rocker silver dot unported reso .

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kentville kangaroo on the toms and an old slingerland calfskin bd.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ambassador over pinstripe on Toms.
Super kick and ported factory reso on bass
Factory stock batter and reso 70’s Acro and 402

Philaiy9

Reaction score
On the toms: coated ambassadors, top and bottom
On the kick: coated emperor batter, smooth white ambassador reso (felt both sides)

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig Weather Master Heavy clear on the Bowling Ball SC's & Ludwig Weather Master Heavy coated on the Champagne SC's

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Ludwig heads are magical on old 3 ply shells- to bad they are very hard to find now (except for the 14").
I got NOS heads with the blue oyster Bowling Ball SC's when I bought them. The previous owner had bought this kit off of eBay in the early 2000's, had it shipped to him but never assembled it! The Ludwig Weather Master Heavy coated (on my Champagne SC's) were brand new & in the garbage with a box full of over-used coated Emperors, as if the owner of a brand new Ludwig kit just assumed that the stock heads were going to be [email protected] Hopefully I'll be this lucky next time I need a head change.....

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find that vintage emperors are my favorite heads lately… Super durable but the slightly oversized construction really really brings out the low end. Great tone and also great low end and durability

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It really depends on your application & the music you play. Are you a home player? Gigs where you are not micd, or only the bass is mic'd? Gigs where you are completely close mic'd?

I play 3 ply vintage & when I was gigging unmic'd in small rooms all the time I used ambassadors tuned resonantly to cut & carry.

When the band started playing bigger rooms and I was close mic'd fairly often I went to coated vintage emperors tuned fairly resonantly to split the difference. They still carry well unmic'd but handle close micing well.

I recently went with Aquarian Response 2 coated on my toms & I'm pretty happy with them. Tough, consistent & musical. Seem to tune up easy as well.

DrumTransit

Reaction score
I currently have Fiberskyn Ambassadors on my toms and kick, and can get a nice low boom. But I've found that regular coated ambassadors top and bottom are the most versatile to my ears -- I can get that high bop sound and also low rock/big band sound.