Which hi-hat clamp for double bass?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and why?

Last night I installed a switcheroo righty (I'm a lefty) double pedal on the kit. The whole idea is moving the 24 off to the other side. This frees up the toms to sit lower, flatter and closer to me. The slave pedal (can I get away with that?) is my lead pedal. Some cool stuff about that pedal but I'll post that later.

I've done this before with a pair of 24s and a bass drum-attached clamp, but that clamp is far away in another world now. So I went online and looked at new ones. I can rule out the Tama. I used that clamp for toms and didn't like it. The dw and gibraltar look good, with a small edge for the gibraltar with the ball socket. That should allow more swiveling and better position, although I don't know if that's really needed.

What do you (or have you) used in the way of hi-hat clamps for DB, my DFO people?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use this Tama gizmo, and it's been working A-OK for me ever since I got it in 1990. I have no idea if they still make it, or have replaced it with something different/better.*

IMG_0750_S.jpg

*I just checked and it looks like they've replaced it with this and this.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second one looks better. I didn’t like the aluminum block of the first one with my toms.

How did you get the legs off your dw?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second one looks better. I didn’t like the aluminum block of the first one with my toms.

How did you get the legs off your dw?
The chrome bottom tube is connected to the base assembly by two short Philips screws with star washers. Remove those and you can pull the tube off of the base. WARNING: The bottom of the tube and the stuff inside of it are filled with grease. Use a dropcloth or similar. Once you've removed the tube from the base loosen the leg adjustment screws and slip the legs off the bottom of the tube. Replace the tube on the base. Note that this process is enough of a PITA that if you want to use the stand with legs at some gigs it's probably best to invest in a second stand.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple dw5k stands but I’ll probably leave the legs on. A bunch of grease ain’t worth the trouble. The two-legger can rotate them opposite the BD.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple dw5k stands but I’ll probably leave the legs on. A bunch of grease ain’t worth the trouble. The two-legger can rotate them opposite the BD.
True, but the legs can make it difficult to get the stand exactly where you want it (I like mine as close as possible to the left BD pedal), plus you're hauling a bunch of extra weight every time you move your drums, and them legs are heavy. If you're careful you shouldn't get grease all over everything. The biggest problem is replacing the chrome tube on the base — some grease always gets on the tube, but it's easy to wipe it off.

I haven't put the legs back on my hi-hat in around 15 years. (In fact, I'm not even 100% sure where the legs are at the moment, since I moved my studio from my garage into my house seven years ago.)

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember the brand I have .
I love having the bass drum out of my way .
2F04E468-4A87-4665-8C82-3C71FEF02B1E.jpeg

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I like the hi-hat as far inside as possible so I can keep it low and just barely not have to cross (so I can play snare loud and hats soft if I want to). That prompted me to move my hat pedal to the inside of my double kick pedal. It's been that way for 20 years and I love it. All you need is a hat stand with legs that can swivel so that one leg straddles the drive shaft. Usually all you have to do is loosen a set screw. As for the kick being in the way, I prefer to place the snare, hats, kick, and ride exactly where they need to be first, then set the toms and crashes around them. That led me to adopting a 1 up, ____ down setup. So when it gets past the traditional 4 piece setup, I first add one on the left, then if I want 4 toms, two on the left, both flat, and if I'm really being crazy I'll add another one to the right then. I do this because I also have a left arm that's totally capable of hitting things on the left. My most usual setup is one up, and one down on either side.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but the legs can make it difficult to get the stand exactly where you want it (I like mine as close as possible to the left BD pedal), plus you're hauling a bunch of extra weight every time you move your drums, and them legs are heavy. If you're careful you shouldn't get grease all over everything. The biggest problem is replacing the chrome tube on the base — some grease always gets on the tube, but it's easy to wipe it off.

I haven't put the legs back on my hi-hat in around 15 years. (In fact, I'm not even 100% sure where the legs are at the moment, since I moved my studio from my garage into my house seven years ago.)
I have a legless hi hat post from my dw universal remote hat rig. There may be some way to integrate it here and get the pedal anywhere I want while I'm at it. I'm not sure if it's where I am or not, though. Either way, a new clamp is part of it and removing legs from my 5k might be if I the universal isn't around here somewhere.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the hi-hat as far inside as possible so I can keep it low and just barely not have to cross (so I can play snare loud and hats soft if I want to). That prompted me to move my hat pedal to the inside of my double kick pedal. It's been that way for 20 years and I love it. All you need is a hat stand with legs that can swivel so that one leg straddles the drive shaft. Usually all you have to do is loosen a set screw. As for the kick being in the way, I prefer to place the snare, hats, kick, and ride exactly where they need to be first, then set the toms and crashes around them. That led me to adopting a 1 up, ____ down setup. So when it gets past the traditional 4 piece setup, I first add one on the left, then if I want 4 toms, two on the left, both flat, and if I'm really being crazy I'll add another one to the right then. I do this because I also have a left arm that's totally capable of hitting things on the left. My most usual setup is one up, and one down on either side.
Yup, I've had the hh setup between the double pedal or two bass drums before. It should be fun going back to that if it works. I like having the hats in close and such that I can shift my arm a little to avoid crossing over unless I want to. Like you mention, it allows much more freedom to play the snare without compromise. With the double pedal linkage in the way, that might not work with this setup but I'll try to find a way using my dw universal remote hat rig.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the Yamaha one the best. I must have 4-5 of them for different double bass kits that I own. I am not sure if they still make them. The Tama is fine and so is the Pearl version. They are a must have if you play double bass and you are wanting to get the hi hat pedal and secondary bass drum pedal next to done another.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I use a Tama 623 & it works but seems a bit clunky if you’re gigging & have to set up quickly.

I bought a DW (forget the model) & it was simpler but wouldn’t clamp to my Yamaha 1100 HH stand. I have since repurposed the DW hoop clamp for a cowbell holder.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Yamaha one the best. I must have 4-5 of them for different double bass kits that I own. I am not sure if they still make them. The Tama is fine and so is the Pearl version. They are a must have if you play double bass and you are wanting to get the hi hat pedal and secondary bass drum pedal next to done another.
The Yamaha is no longer made from what I can tell. If it was I'd probably get it. Their hardware never failed me.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. I've only messed with it a little since the hh stand isn't clamped to anything, but it's much easier to fly around and feels like a different kit.

Am I looking at Fibes?
Yes .
There is also the option of using a remote hat to eliminate crossing over , my other kit is like that .

A8F0C2C1-7276-4A14-876E-2AF70A4848E6.jpeg

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a INDe mount (in place of a lug), and a scrap piece of 3/8" all-thread with a Gibraltar clamp from their hi-hat mount kit. Very clean and works very well. No "Z" rod, no hoop clamp. It's cropped out of the pictures, but the other end of the all-thread is bent into an "L" arm and a cymbal post is mounted on top of it. Two for one!

Yes, yes, I know. Left-handed (or footed in this case).

IMG_7736.jpg
IMG_7735.jpg

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice streamlined clamp! I’m a lefty too so it looks normal to me.

I have an INDe bracket but I don’t think I have a clamp that would work with it. I’ll take a look through my drum parts containers.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the clamp that comes with this product:

I've never seen it sold separately, but you might be able to conjure up something similar.