Which is Better the DW Delta or Mag Throw

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have seen both but the Delta is more expensive but the mag is newer.
Any opinions

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Ken!

I really like the Mag strainer and installed it on my PDP snare drum. It even fit the existing holes! I really wanted to use the 3-position butt, only it wouldn't fit the existing holes. I like the magnetic catch on the strainer and it also looks really nice, too!

-Mark

Attachments

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would only use the mag with the the 3p.

Without it, for most drummers (the ones that don’t need a split second to take the wires down/up) the Delta is enough imo.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would only use the mag with the the 3p.

Without it, for most drummers (the ones that don’t need a split second to take the wires down/up) the Delta is enough imo.
Why? The 3 position butt plate is cool, but I would personally never touch it and would prefer a more simple design with fewer moving parts. But I love the Mag throw.

andlours

Reaction score
I had a delta throw bearing break and DW no longer makes the parts. In my opinion, the mag throw is way better.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why? The 3 position butt plate is cool, but I would personally never touch it and would prefer a more simple design with fewer moving parts. But I love the Mag throw.
It is what makes the system complete to me. Three different snare sounds in one snare.

I love it. Now, if they would still made in black my new snares would have it too.

Last edited:

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The delta sucks. Had a DW snare with one and it was clunky as hell. Even disassembled the whole thing, cleaned and re-lubed it all and it still got hung up when flipping the snares on. The MAG on the there hand is stupid simple and easy to use. Very smooth, never hangs up, but can make a slap sound if you get a bit heavy handed with it. Probably not the best strainer for orchestral work, but for pretty much everything else it works well.

My favorite stupid simple strainer, however, is the one that came with my PDP Ace snare. It looks like a total piece of beginner garbage, but it is the smoothest, easiest and lightest lever operated strainer I have ever used on a drum. You can operate it with one pinky and it doesn't get hung up on your leg like the MAG throw can sometimes do.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...My favorite stupid simple strainer, however, is the one that came with my PDP Ace snare. It looks like a total piece of beginner garbage, but it is the smoothest, easiest and lightest lever operated strainer I have ever used on a drum. You can operate it with one pinky and it doesn't get hung up on your leg like the MAG throw can sometimes do.
Is this the strainer you are referring to? I obtained this PDP Ace a few years ago for cheap, just so I could flip it. I do remember that strainer being a real gem!

-Mark

Attachments

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar w/the Delta. I have the Mag on one drum and I think its ridiculously heavy. The 3 position butt is like hot sauce...I try and put it on everything.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this the strainer you are referring to? I obtained this PDP Ace a few years ago for cheap, just so I could flip it. I do remember that strainer being a real gem!

-Mark
That's the one. I don't have any other lever style strainer that works as smoothly as this one. Super simple, light weight, likely inexpensive and should fit the hole spacing of a DW Delta or Mag.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a DW snare with the Delta. There's just way too much metal. The mag throw is brilliant and I really enjoy it although I always have difficulty with the initial set up. Once that is done, I love the fact that I can flick it up and down with my knee without stopping playing, and there's no way that design will fail. Well done, DW!
I have a late 80s DW snare with an original Camco throw and it is ridiculous. You have to press one button down and then flip the lever up. Very counterintuitive. I unfortunately cannot put a DW mag on it because the hole differences....