Which kit(s)/drum(s) do you totally regret selling?

Targalx

Reaction score
I'll start... I've had well over 20 drumkits in my life, maybe 30, if I think hard enough. [**Edit: I thought hard enough: I've had 23 kits, but have had many orphaned drums to assemble at least a few more kits.**] Most have been Yamaha or Tama, also had a Ludwig for a spell. But "the one that got away" was...a Remo Mastertouch. I know, I know, opinions are many and varied on those Acousticon shells, but it was one of the few kits I've ever had that really sounded great from behind the kit, in addition to in front of the kit, or all miked up at a club/studio. Easy to tune, fairly durable, and I got it for cheap ($150 used?). A great, all around bargain.

I let it go because it didn't have the brand name(s) cachet that I liked. "Who wants to play a Remo drumset?!" was my train of thought as a mid-20-something. I knew of very few that played them, and these kits weren't endorsed by any drummers that I was following.

I have some nice drums now, but that Mastertouch was such a good workhorse. Of course, Jeff Hamilton endorsed them for years, to the very tail end of the model run. But then again, I wasn't really following Jeff Hamilton as an impetuous 20-something.

Your turn!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first kit! Got it as a gift from my parents when I was 9 (I think). It was a red 5 pc. Juggs Percussion kit. Yes Juggs!!! Their have been a few joke posts about that brand! It had 1 Camber hi hat & 1 Camber crash ride. I sold it to a buddy in Junior High like 5 or 6 years later. Used the money to buy myself what I considered my first real kit; A 9 pc. Pearl Export. The reason I regret it is because it was my first kit. (sentimental value!) By the way, that's a lot of kits that you've had over the years. I can't imagine going thru so many even though I'd love to. I would like to have the space to have at least a few at the same time. I've owned a lot of snares & cymbals throughout the years but they have always been paired to the same kits. I've owned a total of four.

Last edited:

m_anderson

Reaction score
In the 70's I had an absolutely mint Ludwig Supraphonic 400 from the 60's and sold it. That was stupid. I will probably regret selling some drums I plan on selling, but haven't worked up the courage to sell them yet, like my first kit, Slingerland that are stored in my Aunt's basement.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably the only real regret is a DW Edge 12 x 7 snare. This is not the actual one but it's the same. At the time I was playing many house kits but took my snare and this thing was just too
download.jpg
heavy to take to gigs and I sold it on.

Targalx

Reaction score
My first kit! Got it as a gift from my parents when I was 9 (I think). It was a red 5 pc. Juggs Percussion kit. Yes Juggs!!! Their have been a few joke posts about that brand! It had 1 Camber hi hat & 1 Camber crash ride. I sold it to a buddy in Junior High like 5 or 6 years later. Used the money to buy myself what I considered my first real kit; A 9 pc. Pearl Export. The reason I regret it is because it was my first kit. (sentimental value!) By the way, that's a lot of kits that you've had over the years. I can't imagine going thru so many even though I'd love to. I would like to have the space to have at least a few at the same time. I've owned a lot of snares & cymbals throughout the years but they have always been paired to the same kits. I've owned a total of four.
Juggs! Never heard, just Googled them. Interesting. I wish I kept my first kit, too. I got it sometime in 1984 or 1985. It was a 1960s Japanese Slingerland knock-off. I looked up several of those Japanese brands of the era, and I think mine was either a Dixie, Apollo or Crown. The badges were removed by the time I received it. The hardware stripped within a few months of owning it. But the shells were OK. I probably wouldn't play it if I still had it, but it would be nice to have for sentimental reasons. My Japanese kit was given away, after I replaced it with a Taiwanese-made kit, a Kima. (Although it was about 20-30 years newer, don't know if that was much of an upgrade.)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Juggs! Never heard, just Googled them. Interesting. I wish I kept my first kit, too. I got it sometime in 1984 or 1985. It was a 1960s Japanese Slingerland knock-off. I looked up several of those Japanese brands of the era, and I think mine was either a Dixie, Apollo or Crown. The badges were removed by the time I received it. The hardware stripped within a few months of owning it. But the shells were OK. I probably wouldn't play it if I still had it, but it would be nice to have for sentimental reasons. My Japanese kit was given away, after I replaced it with a Taiwanese-made kit, a Kima. (Although it was about 20-30 years newer, don't know if that was much of an upgrade.)
That first Juggs kit I had was in 84' as well. It's interesting because it was made in Taiwan but the quality wasn't very good. Today Taiwanese stuff is great and has come a long way. The distributor for those drums were based in Miami and they were sold in local record/music stores and they mostly exported them to Central and South America. Either way, wish I would have kept them!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the 70's I had an absolutely mint Ludwig Supraphonic 400 from the 60's and sold it. That was stupid. I will probably regret selling some drums I plan on selling, but haven't worked up the courage to sell them yet, like my first kit, Slingerland that are stored in my Aunt's basement.
Don't feel bad, I had a 68' Chevelle, a 72' Camaro (built for 1/4 mile) a 62' Corvair and a 77' Vette and sold them all like 22 years ago for practically nothing. I've stupidly sold a lot of things throughout the years that I wish I would have kept. We sell stuff to buy other stuff and never factor in what future value might be. I'm sure someone has either made some money off those cars or are enjoying them right now!:rolleyes:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
My first DW kit, old enough to be Keller shells in a red diamond finish ply. ( I bought them used ) I traded them in for another used DW kit that sounded really good but not as good to me. I tracked down the guy who bought the red ones and was going to offer a trade for them but when I went to go see them, they were totally trashed. Gouges through the wrap was the worst of it. They probably sounded just as good but they were hard to look at.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had many great kits through the years; Brady, Gretsch, J-M, Tama, Sonor Phonics but there is none I regret letting go. I did regret selling my original 1985 Tama Superstars but after finding them and playing them my regret vanished.

I do regret selling a few snares though: my Brady Jarrah ply and She-Oak block snares.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah ... my Brady 12 x 7 She-Oak block shell ain't going anywhere .....definite keeper and the only snare I use ......
That’s the one I had and a 5.5x14” Jarrah ply. The 12x7” saw a lot more use. My main snare for 14 years.

Whitten

Reaction score
I try not to regret, but anyway.....
My first proper kit was a SSB Gretsch in rosewood. I was young and 1) didn't appreciate what I had, and 2) didn't understand what I had.
Over time I ended up with 20" and 22" bass drums (for alternatives), 12" 13" 14" and 16" toms.
When I first started recording on sessions I had no end of problems with it. I was naive and was probably using the wrong heads, and I didn't know how to tune for the studio either. I had one particular nightmare session, working for a top level producer on a Tracey Ullman record. I spent about one hour before the session just tuning the kit. It sounded OK, but then the producer heard a metallic zing through the microphones. This was the end of my happy day.
there was no way to fix it inn the middle of the session, so we just carried on, and I never worked with that producer again. This was before the internet, but I eventually found out each lugbox had a spring inside, which was prone to vibrating. It was common practice to stuff the lugboxes with some kind of damping material. Well it just killed my confidence in the kit.
I went on tour next, and the band I was with split at the end of the tour. I was just a freelance sideman, but the manager had some big issue with the main band members, felt he was owed a lot of money. So he impounded a lot of the gear including my kit. I was too scared to get involved. So I walked away from the kit.
I replaced it with the latest flavour for studio players: Yamaha Recording Custom. That delivered for me over a few years and I was very happy.
In the end, you always wonder what else is on offer. the grass is greener syndrome. So I sold that kit. Ended up with a Pearl BLX briefly, then within about 18 months found my home with Noble & Cooley. But I should never have sold the Yamaha Rec. Again, I had 22" and 24" bass drums, plus four toms. It was a 'do it all' kit.
Those are the only two kits I wish I had kept - Gretsch SSB and Yamaha Rec Custom

Santos

Reaction score
In nearly 40 years of playing drums and percussion I've owned / bought and flipped dozens of kits and snares but only really regret parting with:

a pair of 1970s Natal congas (the money went into the costs of a move to a different city, would still love another set)

an early 1980s sunburst finish Tama Superstar 18-12-13-14 (sold them to finance the purchase of a Gretsch 18-12-14 that was nowhere near as nice to play or record with)

an orphan 1953 Gretsch 22" kick in black nitron that was really light in weight but heavy in sound (I can't remember what possessed me to sell this, I'm just an idiot sometimes. My wife can attest to this, haha..)

Otherwise I'm not sentimental and don't really collect stuff, I only keep instruments if they're the right tool for the job.

Santos

Reaction score
Actually, no, I do regret selling my little 1930s vibraphone when we moved house last year. If we hadn't downsized from a way-too-big-for-us 15 room house to a 2 room apartment I'd still have that today.

I'm no Cal Tjader or Jay Hoggard or whoever but I loved fooling around on the vibes.
IMG_4221.jpeg

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first "good" drumset was a 1965 Slingerland champagne sparkle modern jazz kit that I bought in the late 70s and sold around 1984. I don't even have a photo of it.

A few years back I picked up a 1965 Slingerland white marine pearl Gene Krupa model 1N kit in stunning condition. I found a matching super clean early 60s single ply Artist snare drum. I sold them both to buy a 1960s Gretsch round badge kit.

Attachments

chappy

Reaction score
I regret selling my 2000 Tama Starclassic Performer kit. 10/12/14F/20. It was a tight little birch kit that punched well above its weight.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sonor 3-ply teardrop " Made in West Germany " . Turquoise psychodelic 13 16 20 undersized shells .

Sonor Swingers . Red/black agate . 20 12 13 16 undersized shells .

Both models are getting pretty scarce and both are at the top of my list .

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Premier Signia
Yamaha 8000 Tour Series 7pc
Mapex Saturn V
Pearl Prestige Session Select
Ludwig Mod Orange kit

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an early 60's Gretsch Progressive Jazz kit in silver sparkle finish that I foolishly sold in the mid 1980s. At that time I was living in an apartment and decided to get an electronic kit, which were just hitting the market, so that I could continue to practice. That Gretsch kit was in excellent shape when I let it go to.

I also had a mid 60's acrolite that I wish I had held onto.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I suppose for me it would be my mid 80s Pearl Export kit in piano black, because my father and I bought that kit together. I wish I still had them. The one lone soldier that remains from that kit is a cymbal stand. It’s still doing its job.