Which kit(s)/drum(s) do you totally regret selling?

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an amazing Taye Studio Maple kit with a brilliant 20" kick that I really should have kept as well. I got it for super cheap and the temptation to flip it won over, but I should have kept that kit.

Renoroger

Reaction score
In 1983 I tracked down the red Sonor 9 piece that had been at NAMM that summer in Chicago. I also had cases made for them by the same company that did Journey’s cases.(Star Case Co., Orland Park, IL.- 25 minutes from my house!) So I had the drums, had the cases (couldn’t find the chops) and inflicted them on all my bands (and Northern Nevada) until I decided the house in Reno has too many drums in it and sold them in 1993. This is the only kit that I have ever tried to track down in earnest and I continue to come up empty. There is an unexplainable connection to these drums that endures to this day; AND my wife told my not to sell them!... They my still be floating around the Reno/Tahoe area but they elude me still. I listen to the board-tapes and feel worse. Sometimes “more is more”!...
BE7797B1-016D-40AA-BE46-BCADDCCD65F8.jpeg

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. I bought it after witnessing in person Jerry Marotta kill on a studio session. Huge and commanding sound he had.
Every note has authority with Jerry(I would extend this compliment to your own 2 and 4!) . Saw him at a small club once and was blown away. I'm actually on a track with him that was done for a local charity back in 95 or so. My former guitarist is his neighbor up in the Woodstock, NY area.

Dan

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had that many kits and for the most part the ones I've sold I don't regret since I figured someone else could enjoy them next....but the one thing I regret wasn't even a set or a complete drum...about 20 years ago when moving out of our apartment to our first home I tossed a Remo 14x18 bass drum shell lol I think it was the last thing out of the closet and just no more room left on the truck and it went to the dumpster. Funny then I had really no reason for wanting a small bass drum like that and now that's mainly what I play.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They all have a special place in my heart; four kits in all and I still have two that will never sell. I just don't like selling my special things.

I regret selling a Mid 60's Rogers Blue Sparkle kit in '94 to help finance a used in mint condition large late 80's Classic Ludwig outfit that I still own. I also miss a full set of REMO Roto Toms, sizes from 6" to 18".

sherm

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not drums, but I do regret selling my Rogers hardware when I sold my Rogers Londoner. Three straight cymbal stands, supreme hihat, swivomatic bass pedal, Supreme cymbal stand

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Like most of us, I regret selling off that first kit. It was really great and I paid almost nothing for it.
However, for me to realize this, I had to take this journey of learning, owning other kits, playing all kinds of music, living in various situations.
In the end, I guess I don't really regret selling off anything, because had I have stopped at any point during that timeline, I would've robbed myself of the opportunity of learning from the next kit I owned.
These day I'm dealing with owning multiple kits. The pluses and minuses. First time I've owned more than two kits at the same time.
Like Life itself, its all a learning experience.

Elvis

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Scary story about the impound. Was that Yamaha RC kit the one in Julian Cope's "World Shut Your Mouth" video?

By the way, I can clearly hear the springs on my 80's Gretsch. I haven't recorded with them, but I imagine many Gretsch lugs had that issue. The danger is that some of them were assembled with self-tapping screws, so once you take them off....whoops. Never a dull moment with old Gretsch hardware.

Dan
You got that right! I have a great Gretsch Central kit made for me by Sam Bacco. It's a square badge kit, so I guess it's from the 80s. It had the spring ring bad. I read about stuffing lugs here, so I went to do that one weekend, and ended up having to throw away most of the lugs because the screws wouldn't go back into the threads! That pretty much did it for me and vintage drums.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like most of us, I regret selling off that first kit. It was really great and I paid almost nothing for it.
However, for me to realize this, I had to take this journey of learning, owning other kits, playing all kinds of music, living in various situations.
In the end, I guess I don't really regret selling off anything, because had I have stopped at any point during that timeline, I would've robbed myself of the opportunity of learning from the next kit I owned.
These day I'm dealing with owning multiple kits. The pluses and minuses. First time I've owned more than two kits at the same time.
Like Life itself, its all a learning experience.

Elvis
I feel like now that I have played for a long time and have gotten tuning down, I have realized that I can get a good-great sound out of most kits that I have owned/played. Now it is more about finding and keeping the gear that "speaks or connects" with me the most. I have always played kits with a lone 10" up top or 10" & 12" racks. now that i am a little older, my favorite kit is my Tama Granstar II with a 12x11 rack tom. I have had countless kits and many way more exotic or high end than this Granstar but this one currently speaks the most to me. Wish I would've known that sooner in my gear quest, but I'm sure I'll be adding more drums even though I know this is my "sound."

"I guess I don't really regret selling off anything, because had I have stopped at any point during that timeline, I would've robbed myself of the opportunity of learning from the next kit I owned." Sums up my thoughts as well.

Targalx

Reaction score
That is the Beech Custom Absolute. THE perfect mix of the Maple, Birch and a touch of Oak.
Yes! I have a Beech CA snare (7x14") in the same WMP finish. Would love to have the whole kit someday. I do have the standard Beech Custom in blueberry, and I think you are right—it's the perfect middle point between the maple, birch and oak.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I regret selling my ~1990 Tama Granstar Custom. It was 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 with matching snare. Awesome heavy drums that remind me a lot of my Yamaha RC.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, my Granstar and Recording Customs were similar -- I'm thinking it's because of the birch shell.
I just recently acquired a Tama Granstar II kit and it sounds insane. I use it for everything and it can do no wrong. It does remind me of Recording Custom kit but with slightly more brightness/attack.

Latest posts