Which kit(s)/drum(s) do you totally regret selling?

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel like now that I have played for a long time and have gotten tuning down, I have realized that I can get a good-great sound out of most kits that I have owned/played. Now it is more about finding and keeping the gear that "speaks or connects" with me the most.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Well-put.

Targalx

Reaction score
I just recently acquired a Tama Granstar II kit and it sounds insane. I use it for everything and it can do no wrong. It does remind me of Recording Custom kit but with slightly more brightness/attack.
Yes! That's exactly how I'd characterize a Granstar in comparison to a RC. I really like both kits.

But it was Tama's hardware that ultimately steered me over to solely Yamaha. I just couldn't get into the bulk of Tama stuff; over-complicated tom holders, bass drum legs' wingnuts that you really had to torque to loosen/tighten, etc. It was less fluid in its actions.

Furthermore, I decided to pick one brand to eliminate incompatibility issues. For example, I'd accidentally bring my Yamaha rack tom mount to a gig with my Artstars. Stuff like that just made me just pick and stick with one company.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like to buy and sell drums... it's an enjoyable hobby and I have went through a lot, LOT of snare in the past 40 years with no remorse at all. Until recently and now I have only this one regret, a sweet little 5.5" George Way Tradition mahogany. Nothing special about the drum though it was signed and numbered by Ron (something I understand is not normal on a GW drum), but for whatever reason THIS is the one that bugs me. I wish I had held on to it.

20180825_084616_001.jpg

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like to buy and sell drums... it's an enjoyable hobby and I have went through a lot, LOT of snare in the past 40 years with no remorse at all. Until recently and now I have only this one regret, a sweet little 5.5" George Way Tradition mahogany. Nothing special about the drum though it was signed and numbered by Ron (something I understand is not normal on a GW drum), but for whatever reason THIS is the one that bugs me. I wish I had held on to it.

View attachment 410187
I have a George Way Tradition mahogany snare just like that; only a 5". Not signed, like yours, though. It's a great snare.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've only sold/traded 2 kits and both I was OK with letting go (Pearl Export from the 90's and a Pearl Rhythm Traveler).

What I do miss is a Gibson SG (guitar) I owned that I sold ... at times I wish I still had the SG.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
My first kit - a monster, and odd sized, but it had sentimental value:

Rogers Natural Maple XP8 - 24” kick, 14 & 15” rack toms, 20” floor tom(!) and a 6.5” COB Dynasonic

Not saying they would work in many situations with that floor tom, but they were LOUD!

Was able to purchase a more standard XP8 13/16/22 and 6.5” Dyna years later in the same finish - but there’s always something special about that first kit...

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
13/16/20 Slingerland kit from August 1966, with a matching 14x5 snare drum. My first kit, purchased around 1979. Sold them to one of my students in 1995.

Ryan, if you're out there, I want my drums back.

tunesville

Reaction score
My 1976 Sonor Phonic 100th Anniversary badge Rosewood kit.
I special ordered the set from Germany.
Took 2 months to arrive.
Had to take out a bank loan to buy it.
The Sonor Phonic kit was worth every penny.....tons of deep beautiful tones in these drums.
22x14" kick, 13" & 14" rack toms, 16" & 18" floor toms, and my 1965 Ludwig Supra snare and all Paiste cymbals.
I was a full-time working drummer back then.
Used the Sonor Phonic kit as my road kit up to 1980.
Sold the kit in 1990 when I was broke.
Got the kit back from the buyer a few years ago.....
I got lucky, the lady who bought the Sonor kit from me NEVER took them out of the house. They are still MINT, like new.
Happy ending !

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 1976 Sonor Phonic 100th Anniversary badge Rosewood kit.
I special ordered the set from Germany.
Took 2 months to arrive.
Had to take out a bank loan to buy it.
The Sonor Phonic kit was worth every penny.....tons of deep beautiful tones in these drums.
22x14" kick, 13" & 14" rack toms, 16" & 18" floor toms, and my 1965 Ludwig Supra snare and all Paiste cymbals.
I was a full-time working drummer back then.
Used the Sonor Phonic kit as my road kit up to 1980.
Sold the kit in 1990 when I was broke.
Got the kit back from the buyer a few years ago.....
I got lucky, the lady who bought the Sonor kit from me NEVER took them out of the house. They are still MINT, like new.
Happy ending !
Wow! That is way beyond cool. Don't make the same mistake twice!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I answer this question from time to time here, but this year I've gotta say that times have changed. 2 years ago I sold off a great N.E.W. Rogers 9/72 3 ply Londoner. It was my only kit & in a last-ditch effort I sold it, paid my rent & bought a Rogers Big R Londoner the next day with the difference. I regretted that a bit, but didn't have much choice at the time. The Big R's were a good, solid kit with a nice tone, but they didn't have that 3 ply thing that made the N.E.W. kit sing, nor the sexy Swivomatic hardware.
Rogers NEW.jpg

2 years later I have a 1970 blue oyster pearl Super Classic, 3ply with maple interiors, a 1963 champagne sparkle Super Classic, a players Rogers (20/12/14x10/16) and I've pretty well doubled my cymbal arsenal, including finding a flat ride to replace the 602 I used to pine over selling. I've got brass, aluminium, steel, maple & birch snares covered. So as much as I previously felt regret over a few kits, I feel grateful for what I've got now.

Champagne au Pub.jpg

BOP Lud.jpg

PowerT.jpg

REF

Reaction score
I made a 6x13 Purpleheart stave with brass hardware that had a really nice look, sound and feel. Sold it with a mongrel refurbished set I worked on. I kick myself on that one.

The other was a simple 18 g. sheet metal snare I made, 6.5x13. I loved that snare. Sold it with a set I was using when I went edrum. Big mistake. There's sheet metal shop about 30 minutes away from me here. I should make another one before we sell and move.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Radio King's. Funky,warm sounding. Just a fun set to play.I'd built up to multiple really nice sets, decided I had to thin the herd, Thought I'd keep a more modern set for gigging. Wrong choice.....
I keep watching CL and Ebay for them. I'd buy them back in a heartbeat!

IMG_0458.jpg

Targalx

Reaction score
Early 90's Premier Signia. One day I will own that kit again
Ooooh. Never owned one, but a studio where I recorded at in the '90s had one and it was fantastic. It was in really bad shape visually (with some broken floor tom and bass drum legs), but man, 20+ years ago, I still remember how nicely it played.

Latest posts