Which kit should I buy?

5Joe5

Reaction score
I have a price range around 500-700 dollars somewhere in there. I was kooky at the alesis dm6 since its cheap but when I see people hit the pads you hear the noise of the stick hitting the pad more than the sound of an actual drum. I've been told mesh heads are better but everything I see is so expensive. Any suggestions on a good kit to get me started?

va87

Reaction score
I am a Yamaha fan. I have a DTXtreme III with upgraded module to DTX900. I prefer the yamaha rubber pads and I think the Yamaha cymbals just blow away the Roland cymbals. I also prefer the SAMPLED drum sounds in the Yamaha modules. REAL drum sounds, NOT "modeled" (i.e., Roland). I think they are vastly superior!

In the price range you have, I would try to find a DTXpress IV. I think you'd be very happy with it.

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well for that scratch you're probably not getting mesh heads. Look for a used Roland TD-3 or TD-4, or a similar Yamaha. Try some out at a music store if you can, then watch CL or ebay. I bought a used TD-3 and it works fine for me. I see them on CL or ebay for your price range.

Ben

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
5Joe5 said:
I have a price range around 500-700 dollars somewhere in there. I was kooky at the alesis dm6 since its cheap but when I see people hit the pads you hear the noise of the stick hitting the pad more than the sound of an actual drum. I've been told mesh heads are better but everything I see is so expensive. Any suggestions on a good kit to get me started?
I was looking at an Alesis DM10 a while ago but advice from DFOers led me away from it.
I'm going for a second hand Yamaha (prob DTX III) and I'll upgrade the pads from rubber to mesh as I go.
There are heaps of tutes online about doing this yourself; turning old beater shells into mesh trigger pads (a lot cheaper than buying roland etc). The sound of the module is not as important as I'll be using this kit to trigger BFD2 via midi but I think the yamaha modules sound pretty good.
A lot of the kits I've looked at have been in great condition as they've been bought for kids to "learn drums on" and the kid hasn't stuck with it. A year down the track mum and dad just want to get rid of it at a hefty discount.
Good Luck.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would do some checking around if you want to upgrade to mesh at some point. I had one of the older (but excellent) Yamaha modules, but it was not compatible with the mesh head triggering system.

I agree that the out-of-the-box experience is better with Yamaha modules, but a Roland module upgraded with a set of tweaks from vexpressionsltd.com is, IMO, a superior sound experience. Your mileage may vary. Unfortunately the lower end Roland modules don't have those available, and the better modules are out of your price range. I would agree that you do get more bang for your buck with Yamaha equipment in general.

As for stick noise, if you're standing right next to the kit and they are not being amplified much, yes, you will hear the stick noise more. They really are not the best choice for small, low-volume venues get more than 15 or 20 feet away and with amplification appropriate for a medium-sized venue, that problem goes away. Cheap pads will be noisier, won't have as nice a feel, and will not be as durable. I would not consider anything less than Yamaha or Roland for pads, except maybe Dauz. Those are the quietest rubber pads I have ever played. Finding them is the problem.

cageman

Reaction score
TD 9 could be a bit of strech for that budge range, but possible, if you could score a good deal. In my experience, replacing the module was much easier than replacing the pad, so I would suggest investing more on the pads then module later. You can try VST with MIDI as well.

lododrumguy

Reaction score
I like the Yamahas, I have a DTXpress III. Rubber pads just feel good to me, especially since I'm a heavier hitter with the sticks. I've had mesh heads break after long/heavy use whereas the rubber ones are pretty much invincible. Mesh is cool for putting on real shells though.

Latest posts