which kit to buy ?

Bruce Fogarty

Reaction score
Hi all - I am in the market for an electronic kit - I have numerous acoustic kits and 2 electronics at present - both these kits being a pretty old though - a Yamaha PTT8 electronic kit and an Alesis DM5 PRO kit - I need a electronic kit for the odd live show where they will not accept acoustic drums - I am currently looking at a MARKDRUM YES kit for $1000AU which really is all I want to spend - the YES drums sound and play well but I am concerned as they apparently are not available anymore which means no support? I really don`t want a cheap kit as I think it won`t hold up - any advise would be great ! - cheers

Desolator

Reaction score
Hey Bruce. I'm a new member too :)

The Markdrum kit looks really cool, though I've not seen kits made by these guys before. I've heard of the brand before though and from what I can tell they're pretty solid.

I'd suggest looking at the Millenium MPS 850 sold by Thomann. I own one myself. The sounds are generally fine, though the included songs are a bit electronic and generic, but fine to practice along to. It has MIDI out and USB MIDI so you can hook a laptop up to it to trigger your own sounds in EZDrummer or Reaper + VSTi (like I do). This would probably be better for playing live than using the included sounds since you don't have to rely on the built-in sounds being good, though they do sound fine to me.

The kit comes with a snare, 4 toms, 3 cymbals, a hi-hat (with a "realistic" simulator unit to help recreate the response from a real hi-hat) and pedal. Two of the cymbals are dual-zone whilst the ride is triple-zone, giving you more trigger options, all are also choke-able. The toms and snare are also dual-zone for rim-shots and have a mesh top, so slightly more realistic, quieter and more responsive to play on than rubber pads.

It's very capable, and I've found it very responsive overall. The only issues are the choking function on the cymbals can take a split-second longer to work than you may expect, which takes a bit to get used to. Also the bell-zone of the ride can be a bit tricky to pinpoint how to trigger it, but again, you will get used to it. The frame is sturdy too so likely ideal for gigging. I use double bass pedals too and the bass drum never misses a hit.

It's currently going for $869 AU, so it's within your budget as I think you get free shipping with it. It's worth checking out at least and I can vouch that it's pretty good, though it has some minor flaws, as I mentioned.