which ludwig badge are you picking?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2019
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
1,832
Location
Northern California
All the older versions of Keystone and O\B define their era. Like a few others here, my current favorite is the thick cast Monroe iteration. Stately and substantial. A worthy heir.

If anyone from Ludwig marketing is listening, I do think they’d make fine key fobs, pendants and earrings.

6C450D03-4038-4A93-90FB-0FDE47BAF397.jpeg
 

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2020
Messages
642
Reaction score
991
When I ordered my Legacy Maple kit in 2013 I requested that they install their "Exotic Oval" badge (below) on all drums, but Ludwig responded that they only used that badge with exotic finishes. I almost pulled the trigger on Golden Slumbers (which at the time was an exotic and would have cost me an extra thousand bucks for all six drums) but decided against it primarily because I hadn't (and still haven't) seen a drum with the Golden Slumbers finish in person.
Exotic Oval Badge_1.jpg


In the end I stuck with good ol' WMP and Legacy Keystone badges (and am glad I did), but that oval badge is still my all-time favorite Ludwig badge.
 

exliontamer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Messages
82
Reaction score
163
Location
Nashville, TN
I'm curious if there are some semi-quantifiable patterns with preference for these badges. I viewed overt branding as very tacky when I was in my formative years and it's influenced my tastes as an adult. I love clothes & dressing up(though Covid has me more into elastic waists and Teva sandals) but I gravitate towards no logos(or very subtle ones) or aesthetically unique design choices. That being said it influences my taste in everything.
The keystone badge shape is a very distinct subtle logo vs the larger and louder B&O. The same could be said for Rogers script vs big R, Gretsch round vs drop G/octagon,square, etc.
To clarify I have no issue with overt branding. Companies make products and they want to sell them. I have no real point to this rambling other than I wonder if there's any correlation whatsoever between people who'd prefer this Unknown-2.jpeg preferring this images-1.jpeg and people who'd prefer this images-2.jpeg preferring this Unknown-3.jpeg

ALSO, I don't believe in good or bad taste. We like what we like. I live in an indie rock/record store bubble where I've heard people make snarky comments about people wearing the wrong clothes or liking the wrong music(most people don't but there are always a few jerks) and I've had friends I grew up with make snide comments about pretentious hipsters(same thing...). Screw all of that.
 
Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
7,226
Reaction score
1,223
Location
Bluegrass of Kentucky
My favorite is the vintage brass stamped badge. My favorite from recent badges is the oval reissue badge mentioned above. I had a Classic Maple kit with Bubinga outer veneers, and all of the drums had that oval badge, and they looked magnificent. It was an experiment on my part to try jazz-sized drums (20/12/14). I never got used to the sizes and sold them; I wish I had replaced them with bigger drums in the same finish.
For currently available badges, I like the "GC Cast" badge - the cast brass Monroe badge, which is now the standard badge on USA-made kits. It used to carry an up-charge.
 

Tom Holder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
78
Location
SF Bay Area
I've always liked the keystone "transition" badge... the one that came right after the "WFL" period. That little blue oval on the brass background really catches the eye, I think. I have a 1960 Jazz Fest with that badge on it... COB dropped-gate hoops. Nice drum, although I never play it. 99% of the time, I play my Craviotto. The other 1%, I play a Jazz Combo picollo.
Transition badge.jpg
 
Last edited:

Peano

Active Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2014
Messages
30
Reaction score
26
Location
Virginia
I prefer the vintage keystone badge -- and also the original script font for the name on the bass drum head. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Ford has kept the same font for more than a century. So has Coca-Cola)
 


Top