header.nohb.html

Which metal snares have heavy/thick shells?

microkit

Reaction score
I like the sound of some of the older Ludwig 15s I've heard, but I don't have $1000+ for a vintage snare (and if I did, it probably still wouldn't go to a vintage snare...). Which other metal drums are heavy? I'd love a 15" but for now I just want to know what's out there. I am familiar with cast/milled shells and am talking about more traditional rolled or welded shells, that's what I seem to like the sound of. I know about the Tama Beat King/Swingstar/Imperialstar seamless shells, and I believe some of the Duplexes were heavy, but that's about it.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The olde Ludwig NOB and BB snares weren't that heavy, the construction of the shell was different. Not seamless, but made from two sheets welded at the center bead, and with welded-over bearing edges. You might gbe abe to find a similar shell with Adrian Kichrner's works these days, but talk about $.
Cast/milled shells can be great, but they are really heavy. The old shells were only heavy compared to one-piece shells.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Tama Lars Ulrich diamond plate was pretty heavy, and the Pearl Tico Torres

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
17 pounds! Black Panther Solid Steel. Only produced 300 of them back in 2006. I have one. It’s a concussion with every strike.
7F65948C-77CE-4F79-A8B8-2FC42972648E.jpeg

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the sound of some of the older Ludwig 15s I've heard, but I don't have $1000+ for a vintage snare (and if I did, it probably still wouldn't go to a vintage snare...). Which other metal drums are heavy? I'd love a 15" but for now I just want to know what's out there. I am familiar with cast/milled shells and am talking about more traditional rolled or welded shells, that's what I seem to like the sound of. I know about the Tama Beat King/Swingstar/Imperialstar seamless shells, and I believe some of the Duplexes were heavy, but that's about it.
Oriollo has several models of cast metal snare drums that are pretty thick and (I presume), heavy. Here’s one:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the Pearl Tico Torres
Not as heavy as you think.
Cast aluminum seamless shell is quite nice sounding though.

DW black nickel over brass design series weighs a ton with their tru hoops.

Gretsch COB too

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have the Tico Torres. It's a 3 mm seamless aluminum shell. It was pretty thick. I just didn't like the sound for jazz. If I recall, the Dunnett 6.5" titanium I had was pretty heavy. I also did not like the sound so I sold it.

The Dunnett 6.5" bronze I have is really heavy but a fantastic snare for pretty much all music. I also have a DW polished brass 6.5" which is pretty heavy but that may be as a result of the heavy hardware.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
The drums I build are specifically inspired by the old 1920s 2-piece NOBs in sound, though I arrive there with a drastically different alloy and shell construction (I wanted to modernize the snare beds a bit and make things just a bit more low-mid+open).

Here's a 4x15", actually:
Screenshot_20220201-115004.png

Standard sizes are 5x14, 7x14, 4x15, 7x16, plus 8x12-13x14-12x20 kits.

If you're looking for a cheap option, it's not this (shell, lugs, hoop, throw/butt, key holder are all made in-shop), but the sound is there. :)

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those old drums are heavier but more because of the way they were made than being significantly thicker metal. The folded and closed bearing edges add weight.

Gretsch makes a cast aluminum shell that isn't super expensive (although not cheap either). For the ultimate bang for buck heavy snare build your own Duluth Shell drum.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gregg Keplinger built at least one drum out of a section of 3/8"(?) cast iron pipe. Enameled hot pink, weighed about 40 pounds.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Gretsch 80's square badge COB that is heavy but could be due to 10 small lugs up and 10 down. I swapped them out for tube lugs (yes, it now has "extra" unused holes) and die casts, and it's still a substantial drum.

Reactions: JDA

KillinBill66

Reaction score
The drums I build are specifically inspired by the old 1920s 2-piece NOBs in sound, though I arrive there with a drastically different alloy and shell construction (I wanted to modernize the snare beds a bit and make things just a bit more low-mid+open).

View attachment 541115

If you're looking for a cheap option, it's not this (shell, lugs, hoop, throw/butt, key holder are all made in-shop), but the sound is there. :)

Your drums look (and sound) great. How thick are the shells?

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 541115

Wow - beautiful looking and sounding drums! Very impressive. I love my 1920s NOB Ludwig 15’s but this looks amazing!