Which of you are songwriters?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And, by songwriting, I mean lyrics, melody and chordal structure. I know, I’m going to get drummers saying “I write my drum parts in my band and therefore I am a songwriter, too” to which I say, let me know how that goes when you collect your songwriting royalties. Us drummers are always going to fight for that share of the pie.

For those of you who are melodically and lyrically creative, has being a drummer been advantageous to your songwriting? In what ways? Also, I’m assuming you play other instruments. Which instrument do you write your stuff with? Do you record yourself as a one-person band? Do you lay drums first, or do you lay a scratch first? Do you write for your own band, or others’ bands?

I’ve been songwriting for the better part of a decade now. I sometimes find writing to be more fun than playing the song (or playing covers).

Of course, there’s the joke of: What were the drummer’s last words before they got fired from the band? “Hey everyone, let’s play a new song that I wrote.”

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am currently playing with a childhood friend. We are in the process of writing an albums worth of music. I seem to be the lyricist, and he seems to come up with the tunes, since he plays the guitar. Some of the songs I write, I will lay down a drum track of how I hear it in my head, and he will add the guitar. I wish I was better at the piano which would help me with the music. Recording has been a learning process. It doesn't come naturally to me, so it has been a long learning curve.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I’ve had the humbling experience of hearing a few songs I co-wrote or arranged on the radio. I play enough instruments and know enough theory to contribute to the process, but I work better helping to develop other peoples’ ideas.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I write music, lyrics and arrange, my orig's usually have a bass line that I write (played on keys) and I can solo on keys. I prefer recording live as a band, have done it a track at a time, no fun. Me and my music buds all write and hope to record our stuff soon, as soon as I finish a house and move to their area.

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
I write some lyrics and then the three of us rip them up,ha. Really all of us arrange and rearrange our songs

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the humbling experience of hearing a few songs I co-wrote or arranged on the radio.
Isn't that a cool feeling? A major commercial radio station in my area spun a single that I produced entirely in a spare bedroom in my house a few times last year. It was blowing my mind to listen to it getting played back on the radio in the spare bedroom from where it was recorded!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve written lot of lyrics , am taking guitar lessons to help me write . Just tried watching a Circle of Fifths vid and gave up halfway through thoroughly confused.
Ugh .......

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was younger I played around with writing songs, but it was never much more that a three chord progression with maybe a relative minor thrown in if I wanted to get fancy.

I started playing guitar at the same time I started drumming at 9 years old, but I put much more time into the drums.

We played some of my songs in bands, and I have even been the guitar player in bands, but all I ever really wanted to do was drum.

I think that knowing how to play an instrument aside from the drums has been helpful, and also being able to read music has been very helpful too. I think that you can work out better drum parts when you understand song structure, etc.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve written lot of lyrics , am taking guitar lessons to help me write . Just tried watching a Circle of Fifths vid and gave up halfway through thoroughly confused.
Ugh .......
Don’t give up!!

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been writing songs since I was about six years old. I’m now 57. I have a PhD in Music Composition (basically classical music). I’m teaching a songwriting class this semester. I think I’ve written some good songs but I don’t have any hits! (Lol) I don’t care about that. Hits have to do with being plugged in to the moment both of creation and economic viability. Who doesn’t want that!! You could be lucky or very inclined and write a hit. Or you could write songs that make you happy. That’s what I try to do. If someone else likes it I’m happier. But either way, getting an idea and a feeling out is a reward in itself. If it’s honest there is always a group of people who will relate.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Isn't that a cool feeling? A major commercial radio station in my area spun a single that I produced entirely in a spare bedroom in my house a few times last year. It was blowing my mind to listen to it getting played back on the radio in the spare bedroom from where it was recorded!
Very cool - kinda surreal!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've done the "one man band demo" thing. If I really care about the song, I'll bring it into a proper studio and get better players than I. I'm especially not born to be a lead singer. I play rudimentary guitar and piano. Most of my demos are with a drum machine. My songwriting influences are other songwriters a la James Taylor, Neil Young, John Lennon, etc. I can't think of a way that drumming has particularly influenced any songwriting I have done, except in an arrangement/production way.

I just write because I love the feeling of having written a good song. But, that kind of feeling is elusive and rare, at least in my case.

Dan

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a handful of songs I've written all the way through, many more where I've contributed a riff or two or the lyrics. Lyrics are the hardest part for me.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I write mostly music sketches, but also some fully formed up songs and on rare occasions I have words too.
I had songs on the local radio back when. It is neat.
I have recordings of hundreds of sketches, some of them I can't even figure out how to play now lol. But who wants to go back and listen to all that, so I make new ones.
Working on my singing from a backing vocal role. 51 years old I still don't clearly know what voice I would like to put forward.