Which throw for a Supra?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
How often do you guys actually raise and lower the throw?
Haven’t disengaged my snares in the last 100 gigs lol
I adjust the wire tension from time to time but thats about it. Still have the original p-85 on my ‘76 402 works like new.
My ‘68 backup Acro p-83 like butter

feelyat

Reaction score
I have two Ludwig snares. One has a P85, and the other has a P86. I like both.

I tried an INDe strainer, and while it looks and works great, it didn't quite fit the hole locations on my early 80s Supra. Josh offered to provide some spacers to make it work, but I ended up installing it on another drum and it works great.

I'm convinced there was an engineering change to P85s sometime in the 90s that causes them to stick. My older P85s are smooth and reliable, but I've seen newer ones, fresh out of the bag, that stick and bind like crazy.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haven’t disengaged my snares in the last 100 gigs lol
I play music that calls for me to drop the throw at least twice per gig. Because of this, I've gotten pretty finicky about the mechanics of it. I would bet that a lot of people who love the Ludwig strainers are in a similar position to you, rarely if ever lowering the throw during a set.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I play music that calls for me to drop the throw at least twice per gig. Because of this, I've gotten pretty finicky about the mechanics of it. I would bet that a lot of people who love the Ludwig strainers are in a similar position to you, rarely if ever lowering the throw during a set.
Yeah me usually one or two songs a night call for snares off can you say "RRRRRHumba" :) I have mostly P-85's, I had one on a snare that would catch which is scary at a gig when you have turned the snares off easily for a song then the singer is starting the next song and you are struggling with a bent strainer arm to get the snares re-engaged. Again that was one P-85 out of 6 that I have... I replaced that one with a P-88 even though I messed with it and seemed to have fixed it with a little bending. I'll keep it as a spare.

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
I did some research and the P88 butt won't fit. Before buying, does the INDE butt end fit? I can't find a P85AC

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the P85AC was discontinued. Might still find them in somebody’s inventory, but it was not great.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a DW Craviotto 6x14, a Ludwig Maple 8x14, and a Radio King 6.5x14 which I've changed to use the Trick GS007, and haven't regretted any of them. The DW has had a Trick for almost 15 years, and all have performed flawlessly since installation. For the RK and the Ludwig I got an adapter to use the existing holes, but for the DW I drilled. I like the look of the Inde, but have been well served for a long time by Trick.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the P85AC was discontinued. Might still find them in somebody’s inventory, but it was not great.
I've been to Pro Drum in Hollywood where they still have some new Ludwig snare drums with the P85AC. As many have stated, adjusting snare tension with the strainer in the "on" position is next to impossible. That, plus the thin knob really hurts your fingers! Both of these reasons are why it was re-designed as the P88AC.

-Mark

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the few fans of the original P85. Over the years, I've probably had about 6 or 7 ones on different drums without any problems. Oldest one is the original on a late-'70s 402 and it works like new. As far as problems with sticking...maybe just a few drops of oil on the points?

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did some research and the P88 butt won't fit. Before buying, does the INDE butt end fit? I can't find a P85AC
INDe butt won't fit any drum. The screws are vertically oriented. Might be a good idea for a custom build from scratch but useless as a retrofit.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
INDe butt won't fit any drum. The screws are vertically oriented. Might be a good idea for a custom build from scratch but useless as a retrofit.
True! I have mentioned this to Inde a couple times. I have zero idea why he thought a butt that CANNOT be used as a retrofit would be a good accompaniment to a throwoff that is designed to be used as a retrofit.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
True about the included P35 butt, which won't fit in place of the P-32...unless you want to tap the included holes in the P35. However, since we're talking about only the strainer, I don't think the OP needs to worry about the included butt. It's nice to have, but not necessary for the vintage Supraphonic.

-Mark

dangermoney

Reaction score
I have Ludwig snares with the vintage P85, modern P85, P86, and P88AC. I like 'em all but I've got to say that the new P88AC is my favorite ...

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
At least 20 times a night, for Latin stuff and brush playing. I'm probably in a different genre than you, playing jazz. But a sticky throw off is a pain in the ass.

IMO, the greatest strainer ever made was the classic Rogers. You could throw it off and on a million times, and it would never change the snare tension or need to be re-adjusted.

Latest posts