header.nohb.html

Whiplash Backlash

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
1670360459707.png

RayB

Reaction score
My takeaway from the movie is that Jo Jones was lucky he didn't get that cymbal presented to him right back between his eyes.
Fact is Jo Jones threw the cymbal on the floor, NOT at Charlie Parker. His intention was to tell Bird to stop playing, it sucks. Some really great players took part in Kansas City jam sessions back then. If you were inexperienced and over played, they let you know. Served as a wakeup call for Parker. But crusty as Jo Jones could be, he wouldn't throw a cymbal at someone. I read about the incident in several books. Not a single source says he threw it at him. I guess the script writer thought he needed to juice it up.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
But there are rumors: Madonna, J Lo, Kim Kardashian . We know the gecko was a player.
One of the cobras the gecko shanked came after the gecko for shagging Madonna, as Madonna was dating said cobra and had conjugal visits with said cobra.

RayB

Reaction score
So, then Subarus are made for dogs to drive? Which state allows dogs to drive cars? Not opposed to the idea; just seems odd...
You see Goldens driving Subarus all over New England.

Actually, if self driving cars become reality, I could see sending a car full of Goldens to a butcher shop. A person with a pack of bones is waiting for them. Window goes down, dogs get bones, window up, dogs are driven home.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fact is Jo Jones threw the cymbal on the floor, NOT at Charlie Parker. His intention was to tell Bird to stop playing, it sucks. Some really great players took part in Kansas City jam sessions back then. If you were inexperienced and over played, they let you know. Served as a wakeup call for Parker. But crusty as Jo Jones could be, he wouldn't throw a cymbal at someone. I read about the incident in several books. Not a single source says he threw it at him. I guess the script writer thought he needed to juice it up.
I saw a video clip from a movie somewhere that emphasized this cymbal throwing thing.

The whole concept seems kinda silly.

Vicey

Reaction score
I saw a video clip from a movie somewhere that emphasized this cymbal throwing thing.
I think it was Eastwood's Bird with Forest Whitaker. But I often confuse that with Round Midnight with Dexter Gordon. They came out around the same time and used parts of Charlie Parker's life for material: Round Midnight presented it as fiction and Bird as bio.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it was Eastwood's Bird with Forest Whitaker. But I often confuse that with Round Midnight with Dexter Gordon. They came out around the same time and used parts of Charlie Parker's life for material: Round Midnight presented it as fiction and Bird as bio.
Bird, that was it.

Rivot

Reaction score
My second drum teacher way back in 1979 always told me use your wrists not hammering a nail every time he saw me not using my wrist he would grab the sticks out of hands and say try again I thought that was harsh but he did to get it my head only wrists boy. Nothing like that movie BTW he was a great teacher God bless him.

Reactions: DBT

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
My second drum teacher way back in 1979 always told me use your wrists not hammering a nail every time he saw me not using my wrist he would grab the sticks out of hands and say try again I thought that was harsh but he did to get it my head only wrists boy. Nothing like that movie BTW he was a great teacher God bless him.
Did he go by initials in lieu of a real name?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Punctuation?

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
So far, the take away is this:

1) You're evil if you use letters in lieu of a first name
2) Insurance company spokes actors generally are more comfortable in roles as convicts
3) Anything goes in learning jazz, including slapping and chair throwing
4) We need to dig up Gilbert Gottfried, revive him, and then throw chairs at the new Afflac duck
5) JK Simmons must be canceled

Sums it up, right?!?